Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 05-18-2021, 04:55 PM   #1
chuckg

flying blind camera ready?

Frustrated and flying blind on camera ready!

Attempting to install a new Furrion backup camera on my new 2021 Cougar 26RBS ½ Ton, that has a Camera Ready decal on upper rear (and camera
mounts on front left and right of trailer).

The trailer is stated as camera ready with a big decal a couple inches BELOW upper middle marker
light on rear of trailer. My dealer service department (200+ miles away) and Keystone CS both said
they have no detailed info. There is nothing obvious in my owner manual or on the Keystone RV site that I have seen. Cannot find a video or the word camera in the Keystone manual. No bracket and no predrilled hole. I am on my own I guess. But Keystone saved a $1.99.

So with only a decal, I drilled a 3/8 inch hole 2.5 inches below the marker light and through the center of the decal, per Furrion.
Bam !! Ended up drilling through metal, like framing.

No wire or connecter seen with my flashlight. Cougar RV service departments have no help for me.
So Keystone says its camera ready and only places a decal with no info at all. This is crap!
So really its not camera ready, I guess, and is only false advertising by Keystone. If I have to drive
to an RV service bay they will charge me to start from scratch. I am
smart and can do the job if I just had info.

I am not going to drill anymore holes until I get a diagram of the back wall. I have already degraded my new trailer by drilling a hole while flying blind. I will not be able to get a wire from the marker light above with metal framing in the way in any case.

Thanks for any advice.
chuckg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 05:23 PM   #2
jsb5717

I would pull the marker light above and see if you can trace the wires as they are likely connected to that light. You might be able to fish a wire from that light to the hole you drilled.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 05:25 PM   #3
Camping family

I’m not an expert; however, from reading other posts on the site and from my install of the furrion camera system. Mine was different then others all I had to do was remove a cover and install the rear camera. For side cameras just had to remove a cover. Others on here who seemed to have the system you have tapped into the wires on the rear light. I did find furrion tech support to be a great help when I installed mine. Might give them a call. Sorry I’m not more help.
2021 3761 fl Montana 5th wheel
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Camping family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 09:03 AM   #4
Treebzl

Backup camera install

Hey. I have the same problem with a 2021 Outback 330RL. Above the decal is a 2" plastic cap. It is about 1" or so tall. The customer service person said it was a design change from the Furrion birdhouse I am accustomed to seeing. I plan to remove the cap and hope the 'camera ready' wires are there. I attached a rather poor picture of the setup.

I do not want to drill. I am hoping the wires are there and the screw setup matches my bracket.

Anyone have more experience or options beyond this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bubba backup camera ready.jpg
Views:	443
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	34026  
Treebzl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 10:49 AM   #5
jsb5717

The wires are likely there. It would be nice if they were right on top so you could grab them. If not then just fish around for them. A piece of wire with a small bent hook would work. You'll find them.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 07:12 AM   #6
machz

I picked up my 22MLS half Ton last Friday and brought my camera with me so I could install it at the dealer by removing a few screws and plugging it in.

This didn't work because like you they no longer install the shark fin( no mount at all). When I got home I pulled the middle marker and there was no pigtail there. I tried to pull the wire a bit hoping to find it but no luck because of the foam and framing. I have no idea what they are talking about when they say they are camera ready because there is no longer a mount and I have no idea where/if they have the pigtail.

I ended up drilling the 4 holes needed to mount where the marker was and tapped into the wires for the light. So now I have a camera but I'm short one marker light.
machz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 03:21 PM   #7
Treebzl

Unhappy Outback 330RL

I ended up removing the two screws holding the plastic cap above the 'camera ready' decal. And lo and behold there was a green and white wire. When I tugged on it, the wire did not budge. I tried and tried, fearful of pulling the wire out of a running lamp or something. My favorite phone call to Keystone. I was 17 in line.... when I got Darcy on the line she checked with technical service. They said pull on it and it should come free, unless there is a manufacturer problem. I pulled harder and still nothing. Sealed it all back up and now taking the 3 week old trailer back to the dealer for warranty work. Onward and upward.
Treebzl is offline   Reply With Quote