Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-17-2021, 07:39 AM   #1
Sonders

roof access on Ultra lite

Hey all, wondering what is best way to get to ac unit and other items on the roof of Ultra Lite trailer? On my 15' Passport Ultra Lite, looking at the roof from a ladder the roof looks and feels really flimsy so I have yet to climb on it. Bought the camper late last year and I'd really like to get up there and inspect everything.
Sonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 09:49 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Don't feel the need to answer this comment, "on the forum" but much of the answer can be found "on your bathroom scale"... If you're "under 180-200 pounds" is a dramatically different answer than if you're "well over the scale limit"....

The ultra lite lines are made with 3/8" (thickest) and more often 1/4" OSB decking. Many of the ceiling rafters have been extended from 16" OC to 24" OC or even further apart. What that does to a "roof system" that could support 200 pounds a few years ago is now a "roof system" that can barely support itself and the things mounted up there....

If you are not a "heavyweight" and "must climb on the roof" then use either 2'x2' sheets of plywood with carpet on the bottom (to protect the roof membrane) or use 1.5" or 2" rigid styrofoam sheeting (much lighter and will not damage the TPO membrane) to help span your body weight over two or more rafters. That will help reduce the chances of cracking the thin OSB decking or worse yet, "falling through" or making a "permanent vent in the roof"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 10:03 AM   #3
Lee

Hi,

At 215lbs, I stay on all fours while on the roof x2 yearly for inspection.... spreads the load out. I would never walk upright on it.

The suggestion to use plywood or foam is sounds advise.

1970 F250 Highboy 4x4
2013 Cougar 21RBSWE
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 10:34 AM   #4
Sonders

perfect. Thanks JRTJH and Lee for the replies. Guess I'll be crawling around on my roof one evening this week. I've got some styrofoam panels that I'll definitely use to stay on the safe side.
Sonders is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof