Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 05-16-2021, 05:11 PM   #1
peeceejay

Electrical gremlins ...

My 2021 Bullet 243 BHS was working fine a couple of days ago. connected to a 30amp circuit at home, battery is fine.

I took it to the dealership for some unrelated work, and brought it home. Connected it - and then, the gremlins.

It feels like I have no power to some systems in my control panel - but, some do work.

Things that don't work:
  • Interior light switch (exterior light switch works, as do all interior lights that are on their own circuits).
  • Electric and gas water heater switches (electric water pump works fine)
  • All battery, and tank gauges are dead
  • Thermostat is also dead, so my heat and AC won't work.
  • My stove lights, and overhead range hood don't work.
  • Bathroom light switch and fan don't work.
  • Even the little blue light on the shore power flap doesn't light up

All other lights, all electrical outlets, USB outlets work just fine. Dual electric fridge works fine both on battery and shore power. All appliances work fine (TV, stereo, outdoor fridge etc).

All fuses seem fine. All breakers are on. Tried different power cables.

I'm stumped. Its heading to the dealership tomorrow morning, but we camp on Thursday, so I'm clutching at straws!

Any ideas?
peeceejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 05:27 PM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

If the "blue light" at the power inlet doesn't illuminate then it souds like the outlet at home id dead. Have you confirmed that the outlet has power? B!atter disconnect turned on? Have you tried cycling (turning the breaker off the back on) the main breaker in the camper?
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 02:10 AM   #3
peeceejay

Yes, to all the above.

My 30amp circuit has been power cycled. I've tried new cables. With and without the EMS - inside the camper, I've removed and reseated all fuses, flipped all breakers.

Despite the light not coming on, I DO have shore power. My TV, external fridge, all sockets - all work. If I pull the shore power, they do not.
Old 05-17-2021, 02:45 AM   #4
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeceejay View Post
Yes, to all the above.

My 30amp circuit has been power cycled. I've tried new cables. With and without the EMS - inside the camper, I've removed and reseated all fuses, flipped all breakers.

Despite the light not coming on, I DO have shore power. My TV, external fridge, all sockets - all work. If I pull the shore power, they do not.
The TV and electrical plugs are 110/120 and require shore power to work.
Old 05-17-2021, 03:57 AM   #5
wiredgeorge

Is there a 12V issue? Have you checked your battery? Perhaps the shop where you had it caused the battery to drain and if drained too far, the battery may have failed?
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 04:37 AM   #6
cavie

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeceejay View Post
My 2021 Bullet 243 BHS was working fine a couple of days ago. connected to a 30amp circuit at home, battery is fine.

I took it to the dealership for some unrelated work, and brought it home. Connected it - and then, the gremlins.

It feels like I have no power to some systems in my control panel - but, some do work.

Things that don't work:
  • Interior light switch (exterior light switch works, as do all interior lights that are on their own circuits).
  • Electric and gas water heater switches (electric water pump works fine)
  • All battery, and tank gauges are dead
  • Thermostat is also dead, so my heat and AC won't work.
  • My stove lights, and overhead range hood don't work.
  • Bathroom light switch and fan don't work.
  • Even the little blue light on the shore power flap doesn't light up

All other lights, all electrical outlets, USB outlets work just fine. Dual electric fridge works fine both on battery and shore power. All appliances work fine (TV, stereo, outdoor fridge etc).

All fuses seem fine. All breakers are on. Tried different power cables.

I'm stumped. Its heading to the dealership tomorrow morning, but we camp on Thursday, so I'm clutching at straws!

Any ideas?
You have a 12 volt problem. ALL lights are 12 volts so I do not understand your first statement about inside and out side lighting or "lights on their on circuit" . Individual lights are not on their own circuits. There are individual switches on the lights themselves in addition the the main wall light. Water pump is 12 volts so I don't know why that is working.
Old 05-17-2021, 09:31 AM   #7
peeceejay

I spent the morning at my local Keystone dealer, crawling all over the unit.

It's an issue with one of the circuits on the 12v line. But not with everything.

Battery is fine. All kill switch wiring fine. All grounds fine. All fuses good, and we have 12v at every terminal. We are getting power INTO the camper, just fine.

Over at the control box itself, we have no power at the interior light switch, the water heater switches, the tank gauges or the thermostat.

We DO have power at the water pump and exterior lighting.

There are items in the rig that are not on the interior switch, but do not work either - the range hood, the cooker lights, some of the manual ceiling lights, too.

We believe that the wire going from the fuse panel to the control panel - that all the non working items are connected to, has a break in it.

For the short term, we have stolen power from the water pump and given it to the interior light switch - which also powers the thermostat and all appliances and manual switched ceiling lights. It does not give power to the water heater switches or the tank gauges.

We camp this weekend - and the dealership is on the ride home from our camp site, so we'll be dropping it off with them sunday afternoon - they will run a new wire.
Old 05-25-2021, 10:24 AM   #8
peeceejay

Update:

After the temporary repair, we went on our first camping weekend. While we now had interior lighting and power to the thermostat, we still did not have power to the tank gauges, hot water heater or the bottom bunk light.

I dropped the rig off at my local dealership on my way home from the camp on Sunday PM, and got a call from them today to let me know it was fixed. Turned out there is a wire junction in the ceiling that a wire had come loose from - the crimp had failed.

PIcking it up tomorrow, and will be crawling all over to test it out. Fingers crossed!

Tags
electrical