Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 05-13-2021, 11:16 AM   #1
markcee

Extending Range: Gassers

Has anyone found/installed a transfer tank or portable 'fuel station' (such as this) for a gas pickup?

For my purpose, the product must be

• legal to use for gasoline
  • fit under my tonneau cover
  • carry a minimum of 15-20 gallons
  • not break the bank

If you have such an animal, were you able to perform the installation yourself? Do you think it was worth the effort/expense?

I have the standard issue 34 gallon tank in my truck and at 7-8.5 MPG, that baby sure gets thirsty. I realize that depending on the type of tank, I may have to stop and pump the contents, but it would save me from navigating through some tough gas station islands so often on long trips.

Interested in any/all comments on this subject.
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 12:12 PM   #2
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by markcee View Post
Has anyone found/installed a transfer tank or portable 'fuel station' (such as this) for a gas pickup?

• not break the bank

If you have such an animal, were you able to perform the installation yourself? Do you think it was worth the effort/expense?

I have the standard issue 34 gallon tank in my truck and at 7-8.5 MPG, that baby sure gets thirsty. I realize that depending on the type of tank, I may have to stop and pump the contents, but it would save me from navigating through some tough gas station islands so often on long trips.

Don't know of anything legal for gasoline except a larger replacement tank or a couple of Jerry Cans.. in the old days you could buy and run saddle tanks for that went out 40+ years ago..
Old 05-13-2021, 07:43 PM   #3
Heavy_Chevy
Gone Traveling

https://www.jmesales.com/dot-certified-for-gas-or-diesel-38-gallon-transfer-tank-w-fill-rite-fr1210-pump/

Here you go. DOT certified gasoline transfer tank from JME. Got em in all sizes, 38 gal is smallest.
Heavy_Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 08:07 AM   #4
notanlines

Mark, there you go, there's your answer. How can you go wrong?
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 08:32 AM   #5
Heavy_Chevy
Gone Traveling

Just FYI, it comes in 2 shipments. They ship the pump, nozzle, hose, and fittings. The Tank ships direct from manufacturer and is about 2 months lead time.
Old 05-14-2021, 09:37 AM   #6
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy_Chevy View Post
Just FYI, it comes in 2 shipments. They ship the pump, nozzle, hose, and fittings. The Tank ships direct from manufacturer and is about 2 months lead time.
Bet that gas hog of yours would love to have that 38 gallon tub strapped into the bed! What the heck is another 300 plus pounds of payload? My 460 F250 had two 19 gallon tanks and never thought of it as far as payload goes. Mine was a 96 so there was no payload sticker in the door frame.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 10:23 AM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Bet that gas hog of yours would love to have that 38 gallon tub strapped into the bed! What the heck is another 300 plus pounds of payload? My 460 F250 had two 19 gallon tanks and never thought of it as far as payload goes. Mine was a 96 so there was no payload sticker in the door frame.
With that 460 I'll bet that extra fuel "payload" dissapered rather quickly. The jet boat I had back in the 70's had two 27 gal saddle tanks to feed the Olds 455 strapped to the jet drive. When runninmg 60+mph I mneeded to fuel up about every 20-25 minutes with Sunoco 260.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 10:39 AM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
With that 460 I'll bet that extra fuel "payload" dissapered rather quickly. The jet boat I had back in the 70's had two 27 gal saddle tanks to feed the Olds 455 strapped to the jet drive. When runninmg 60+mph I mneeded to fuel up about every 20-25 minutes with Sunoco 260.

^^^ My best friend lived on Lake Lewisville many decades ago. Had a 455 jetboat and loved to run around on it.....me on it quite a few times. I marveled at how much gas that thing could guzzle - he knew every little nook where you could get fuel because you had to stop at every single one seems like. I didn't like going too much for just for that reason and I didn't want to be paddling back from who knows where. Well...

Wanted to take me out galavanting around one weekend afternoon. Ran around until I finally told him we need to go back or get fuel. Don't worry; we're OK. Let's go look at this island...we did. Finished wading around there and headed back - LATE in the afternoon. Sputter, sputter.....dead. No fuel....floating out there in the lake. That thing weighed too much to grab a paddle (he had ONE) and start paddling so we took off our t shirts and started waving them...getting dusky dark now. Some folks finally saw us, hooked us up and gave us a tow (thank you again folks). We finally winched that dead, empty, heavy boat up on the trailer. Got home way after dark. Wet, tired and aggravated....I just wasn't my typical happy, jovial self.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 11:56 AM   #9
Heavy_Chevy
Gone Traveling

Quote:
And that’s why I’m on the hunt for a 1 ton George! Almost had a 3/4 ton with max payload package (3690 lbs) and 8 ft bed. Had an appointment with Ancira at 10:45 yesterday. Showed up to find out they sold it the night before.

But yes, that tank stays empty until I NEED to fill it.
Old 05-14-2021, 12:03 PM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

I had a big Glastron tri-hull IO. If I remember, it had two tanks of 55 gallons each. Try to run a tank dry with the other full and it would "run on one side of the hull and never get up on a plane. With the tanks balanced, it would run 55-60 "all hour long"... That's about the fuel consumption at "max RPM" and the range was "around the lake 4 times"... It would pull a para-sail "effortlessly" but it wouldn't pull itself past a marina.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 12:28 PM   #11
markcee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy_Chevy View Post
Thanks. I was looking at these as well. The one you linked will not fit below the tonneau, when adding the 2.5" for the tank cap. I did find this one that sits several inches below:

https://www.jmesales.com/43-gallon-d...transfer-tank/

However, once the pump is added, no way I can close the cover on that one either.

This Transfer Flow model however, looks like it fits the bill:

https://www.transferflow.com/shop/product/0800116206

Having, 70+ gallons on board sure sounds tempting - even if I need to pull over and manually transfer. Since I can spare the payload, it's definitely something to consider.
Old 05-14-2021, 12:33 PM   #12
E Rod

Quote:
I remember my 96' F350 SRW crew cab long with the 460. Don't miss it one bit. It pull my 30' Laredo but i only got around 6 - 7 mpg. Then them hills, thought the tranny was going to blow up with the rpm's being so high when it would down shift. It even slowed down on small hills. I still remember everyone passing me. Thank God for diesel trucks. I now pull a 40' Alpine , 6 slide,with a 2021 F350 DRW 6.7 diesel 10 speed. Don't even feel the rv back there. And them hills are now a walk in the park

2021 F350 Lariat Ultimate Pkg,FX4,CC,LB

2017 Alpine 3660FL
E Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 12:54 PM   #13
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Rod View Post
I remember my 96' F350 SRW crew cab long with the 460. Don't miss it one bit. It pull my 30' Laredo but i only got around 6 - 7 mpg. Then them hills, thought the tranny was going to blow up with the rpm's being so high when it would down shift. It even slowed down on small hills. I still remember everyone passing me. Thank God for diesel trucks. I now pull a 40' Alpine , 6 slide,with a 2021 F350 DRW 6.7 diesel 10 speed. Don't even feel the rv back there. And them hills are now a walk in the park
Never had an issue with power although the mighty 460 wasn't particularly powerful but the brakes on my 96 got hot hot hot in the hills and canyons. Drug the camper from Medina to Camp Wood on RR337, the most winding road in Texas through the canyons (road is VERY narrow) and the missus wouldn't feed me for a week she was so mad. Scared me about as much as her. I can still smell those drums which were likely glowing. I got about 7 towing and a couple mpg more when just driving. It got more thirsty going over 65-70 mph.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 05:42 PM   #14
roadglide

Quote:

• not break the bank

. RDS aluminum tanks are for Diesel, gas, and jet fuel. I was just looked at one 25 gallon tank for $399. Comes complete with 12 V pump hose and nozzle from tanks and barrels . Northern hydraulic has RDS they are DOT approved.
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 08:11 AM   #15
alrothel

Why is no one talking about or using the aux tank transfer kit? RDS sells them for under $100 and they are simple to install. They work great. No need for a transfer fuel pump. I have a 90 gallon fuel tank in the back of my F350 Dually. This kit hooks up to your regular filler tube and automatically fills your trucks tank from the aux tank. With getting a little over 8 MPG I now have a range of over 1000 miles before I have to pull over to refuel.
alrothel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 08:33 AM   #16
markcee

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrothel View Post
Why is no one talking about or using the aux tank transfer kit? RDS sells them for under $100 and they are simple to install. They work great. No need for a transfer fuel pump. I have a 90 gallon fuel tank in the back of my F350 Dually. This kit hooks up to your regular filler tube and automatically fills your trucks tank from the aux tank. With getting a little over 8 MPG I now have a range of over 1000 miles before I have to pull over to refuel.
Wouldn't work for me as my truck is gas not diesel. I have very limited options. The Transfer Flow I linked in my second post is about as good as I can do for gas, I think.
Old 05-20-2021, 08:56 AM   #17
travelin texans

Quote:
Wouldn't work for me as my truck is gas not diesel. I have very limited options. The Transfer Flow I linked in my second post is about as good as I can do for gas, I think.
Haven't you seen some of the latest videos for having extra fuel, trash/Walmart bags, Cool Whip/ice cream tubs, Rubbermaid totes, why spend $100s of dollars on tanks you've probably got several hundred WalMart bags at home, double bag if needed.
Honestly having an aux tank filled with 50-100 gallons of gasoline is a whole different animal than one filled with diesel. Depending on the size you may have to be placard, licensed, tested, certified to haul hazardous materials.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 09:11 AM   #18
markcee

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Haven't you seen some of the latest videos for having extra fuel, trash/Walmart bags, Cool Whip/ice cream tubs, Rubbermaid totes, why spend $100s of dollars on tanks you've probably got several hundred WalMart bags at home, double bag if needed.
Honestly having an aux tank filled with 50-100 gallons of gasoline is a whole different animal than one filled with diesel. Depending on the size you may have to be placard, licensed, tested, certified to haul hazardous materials.
Yeah, I think it will be a couple of Rubbermaid totes and a length of garden hose for me.

The Transfer Flow brand setup does looks good as it's low profile and the whole ball of wax fits under the bed cover. However, I would still need to pump the gas into the truck.

I think I will likely just tough it out for a couple more years and maybe then go with a diesel.
Old 05-21-2021, 07:56 AM   #19
LewisB

Quote:
...I think I will likely just tough it out for a couple more years and maybe then go with a diesel...
Now you're cooking with....diesel.

Gas to diesel - best transition I ever made...
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 12:16 PM   #20
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrothel View Post
The reason that no one is talking about the aux. tank transfer kit...a.k.a. "gravity feed" is because they are 100% illegal for gasoline, as per Federal Law. They are fine for diesel, but NOT gasoline. The reason is that is considered flammable....and diesel is considered to be combustible.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas