Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-08-2021, 12:47 PM   #1
Jim27

Towing weights

I bought my TV before I bought my toy hauler and just assumed that my 2019 F350 6.7 DRW King Ranch would tow anything. I understand that the only actual way to figure out tow limits is to get to a scale but I haven’t had the opportunity. Fifth wheel magazine has a weight calculator which I read about on a different thread here. When I put in all of my weights I overestimated truck cargo and pin weight also because I have a washer/dryer in the bedroom and an arsenal under my bed. The calculation comes out to having 200lbs available payload. I know that it’s cutting it close but I know from reading on here that some people pull extremely unsafe. Should I put as much cargo in the garage that I can when I travel or should I be ok?
Jim27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 01:33 PM   #2
notanlines

Jim, probably not what you wanted to hear, but taking your weight off the king pin end will return to you almost 70 to 100% depending how far back from the kingpin it was located. But the act of storing it in the garage will not do much more for you. Our 1040# Road King and side car when stored in the garage of our Raptor only took about 125# from the king pin weight.
We really need to know your cargo capacity from the yellow door sticker on your truck, and your CAT scale numbers. And the make and model of your RV helps also.
Thanks....
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 01:43 PM   #3
Jim27

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Jim, probably not what you wanted to hear, but taking your weight off the king pin end will return to you almost 70 to 100% depending how far back from the kingpin it was located. But the act of storing it in the garage will not do much more for you. Our 1040# Road King and side car when stored in the garage of our Raptor only took about 125# from the king pin weight.
We really need to know your cargo capacity from the yellow door sticker on your truck, and your CAT scale numbers. And the make and model of your RV helps also.
Thanks....
As stated above I do realize that the only true way to do the math is with a scale but my cargo capacity on the door is 5,320 and my fifth wheel is a 2019 Keystone Raptor 425ts. I assume that the calculator is a good way to estimate and I added 500lbs to the listed factory pin weight. Thanks!
Old 05-08-2021, 02:30 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Here is the trailer;

https://www.rvusa.com/rv-guide/2019-...-425ts-tr39523
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 02:40 PM   #5
Jim27

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I put all of those specs plus my truck specs into the weight calculator. I added 500lb to the factory pin weight just to be safe. The calculator says that I’m about 200 lbs under cargo capacity. I’m not looking to bring out the weight police because if I’m overweight by 100 or 200lbs I’m not going to sell my truck or trailer. I’m just curious if I should shift some cargo around just to stay on the safe side.
Old 05-08-2021, 02:43 PM   #6
markcee

Until you scale, there is nothing to do but estimate, as you've done with that web calculator.

What is the sticker payload on your truck?

That trailer's GVWR is 19K, so figuring 20% of that for TH pin weight (another estimate), bleeds off 3800 lbs of payload from the truck.

As you likely then know, you need to calculate the weight of you and all passengers, the hitch in the bed, and any other cargo in the truck and deduct this from what's left of your truck's payload. Is this grand total (pin weight plus everything else) less than your truck's sticker payload? If so, you are within the (estimated) limits for payload on your vehicle.

I don't know about your rear axle rating and what that beast puts on it, but a Raptor 425 does sound like potential dually turf.
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 02:49 PM   #7
Jim27

Quote:
Originally Posted by markcee View Post
Until you scale, there is nothing to do but estimate, as you've done with that web calculator.

What is the sticker payload on your truck?

That trailer's GVWR is 19K, so figuring 20% of that for TH pin weight (another estimate), bleeds off 3800 lbs of payload from the truck.

As you likely then know, you need to calculate the weight of you and all passengers, the hitch in the bed, and any other cargo in the truck and deduct this from what's left of your truck's payload. Is this grand total (pin weight plus everything else) less than your truck's sticker payload? If so, you are within the (estimated) limits for payload on your vehicle.

I don't know about your rear axle rating and what that beast puts on it, but a Raptor 425 does sound like potential dually turf.
Hey Marc. The calculator took my weight and my dog and hitch into consideration. My cargo capacity in the door is 5320 and I am in a dually. With all of my weight at the pin overestimated by
Old 05-08-2021, 02:50 PM   #8
Jim27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim27 View Post
Hey Marc. The calculator took my weight and my dog and hitch into consideration. My cargo capacity in the door is 5320 and I am in a dually. With all of my weight at the pin overestimated by
Oops. ...overestimated by 500lbs I still came in at 200lbs underweight.
Old 05-08-2021, 03:00 PM   #9
roadglide

I do serious traveling around America and couldn’t go without the 60 gal RDB fuel tank Diesel is 7 lbs a gallon and 36 gal oem that’s 96 gals you could add another 700 lbs with fuel. 4000 pin weight is a lot I think you will probably exceed your gvw and put you way over 26,000 lbs into commercial weight.
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 03:12 PM   #10
markcee

Quote:
Ack...sorry about that. Missed the 'DRW' in your initial post!
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 03:13 PM   #11
Jim27

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadglide View Post
I do serious traveling around America and couldn’t go without the 60 gal RDB fuel tank Diesel is 7 lbs a gallon and 36 gal oem that’s 96 gals you could add another 700 lbs with fuel. 4000 pin weight is a lot I think you will probably exceed your gvw and put you way over 26,000 lbs into commercial weight.
When you mention commercial weight being over 26,000lbs is that in regards to my license? I do have my Texas class A exempt license which allows me to tow over 26,000.
Old 05-08-2021, 05:27 PM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

Jim the deal with toyhaulers is a crap shoot IMO. You have a large trailer and a fairly large truck. You have almost 3500lbs. of carrying capacity in your trailer. What are you carrying that weighs that much? Will you use it up or just have "idle space"? That large of a capacity leaves a lot of room for error in guestimmating from the bleachers.

You said you filled out a weight calculator and you are within 200lbs. of your truck capacity. That tells me you are planning on loading the trailer and truck heavy. If so there IS a LIMIT to what a 350 dually can do and that 53xx payload is telling you. You ask can you shift stuff around; what about leaving stuff out? What is taking up 3500lbs. in the trailer? I know, I know; I 've seen everything in the world come out of the back of one of those things but much seems a little overkill at times.

My concern, as yours should be, is worst case scenario. If you are within a couple hundred pounds (+/-) of max everything and are in a catastrophic accident they will reconstruct the accident. IF (and it's a real possibility) they come up showing you overweight because you cut it so thin all bets are off on the future for you and yours....if there are any "yours" left. With that large a load the damage it can do is huge. And, for whatever reason, I've seen far more duallys pulling huge trailers trying to run 80mph than any other kind. 80mph, 42' trailer full of who knows what, big 1 ton dually truck; flipped sideways plowing across 2 lanes of a highway....maybe a 2 lane. I always think about those things when I think I want to "fudge" (and I have). And, I've been on the "oh crap" end of seeing that semi coming at me on its side on a 2 lane road; backing up as fast as I could as it SLOWLY ground to a stop on its side in front of me. THAT guy was a mess. Just think it through.
Old 05-08-2021, 06:00 PM   #13
Jim27

Quote:
Jim the deal with toyhaulers is a crap shoot IMO. You have a large trailer and a fairly large truck. You have almost 3500lbs. of carrying capacity in your trailer. What are you carrying that weighs that much? Will you use it up or just have "idle space"? That large of a capacity leaves a lot of room for error in guestimmating from the bleachers.

You said you filled out a weight calculator and you are within 200lbs. of your truck capacity. That tells me you are planning on loading the trailer and truck heavy. If so there IS a LIMIT to what a 350 dually can do and that 53xx payload is telling you. You ask can you shift stuff around; what about leaving stuff out? What is taking up 3500lbs. in the trailer? I know, I know; I 've seen everything in the world come out of the back of one of those things but much seems a little overkill at times.

My concern, as yours should be, is worst case scenario. If you are within a couple hundred pounds (+/-) of max everything and are in a catastrophic accident they will reconstruct the accident. IF (and it's a real possibility) they come up showing you overweight because you cut it so thin all bets are off on the future for you and yours....if there are any "yours" left. With that large a load the damage it can do is huge. And, for whatever reason, I've seen far more duallys pulling huge trailers trying to run 80mph than any other kind. 80mph, 42' trailer full of who knows what, big 1 ton dually truck; flipped sideways plowing across 2 lanes of a highway....maybe a 2 lane. I always think about those things when I think I want to "fudge" (and I have). And, I've been on the "oh crap" end of seeing that semi coming at me on its side on a 2 lane road; backing up as fast as I could as it SLOWLY ground to a stop on its side in front of me. THAT guy was a mess. Just think it through.
Hey sourdough. I am not even close to being at the max capacity for the trailer. Although I’m full time I don’t have much stuff. The garage is essentially a spare room for my buddies on race weekends and the patio just a bonus, no toys. My weight concern is pin weight. Since I have a washer dryer over the pin I added 500lbs to the factory pin weight and my numbers came out close as I said. Also I never go faster than 65. My tires are rated for 75 but I’ve done a few hundred miles already and even in a 75mph zone I’m doing 65.
Old 05-08-2021, 06:15 PM   #14
sourdough
Site Team

Jim what kind of washer/dryer did you install? We had stackable Splendides installed in our and I believe (from memory) they weighed about 250 total so you have erred on the safe side.

If you have that much empty space at the back can you move some of your normal stuff back to cut off some of the pin weight? Won't make a huge difference but when you are getting that close every bit helps. Of course a scale is your friend and will tell you what's what. You don't list what you put on the calculator to run up the numbers (don't have to go far from that 39xx empty pin) but might be something manageable.
Old 05-08-2021, 06:22 PM   #15
Jim27

Quote:
Jim what kind of washer/dryer did you install? We had stackable Splendides installed in our and I believe (from memory) they weighed about 250 total so you have erred on the safe side.

If you have that much empty space at the back can you move some of your normal stuff back to cut off some of the pin weight? Won't make a huge difference but when you are getting that close every bit helps. Of course a scale is your friend and will tell you what's what. You don't list what you put on the calculator to run up the numbers (don't have to go far from that 39xx empty pin) but might be something manageable.
I got the stackable Splendide’s also. Yes I definitely wanted to err on the safe side. I’m just going to put all of my guns and ammo from under my bed to the garage when I’m traveling. That will transfer a few hundred pounds. Thanks for your sage advice as always!
Old 05-08-2021, 07:46 PM   #16
roadglide

Quote:
When you mention commercial weight being over 26,000lbs is that in regards to my license? I do have my Texas class A exempt license which allows me to tow over 26,000.
. That’s a plus I let mine cdl go a few years back. I’m actually in Duly Territory with my 35 footer the way I load it occasionally. I have never let any one fear monger me it’s what it is. I have seen a lot worse then what where describing.
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 07:57 PM   #17
Jim27

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadglide View Post
. That’s a plus I let mine cdl go a few years back. I’m actually in Duly Territory with my 35 footer the way I load it occasionally. I have never let any one fear monger me it’s what it is. I have seen a lot worse then what where describing.
Yeah I didn’t know about the licensing until I watched a YouTube video from BigRV BigTruck. Many people didn’t believe that over 26,000 GVWR you need a special license and still don’t. I called the dealership for my inspection paperwork and they said “you don’t need a special license”. I didn’t argue just said “ok, please send the paperwork”. Dealerships...
Old 05-08-2021, 09:44 PM   #18
rhagfo

Quote:
As stated above I do realize that the only true way to do the math is with a scale but my cargo capacity on the door is 5,320 and my fifth wheel is a 2019 Keystone Raptor 425ts. I assume that the calculator is a good way to estimate and I added 500lbs to the listed factory pin weight. Thanks!
Just wondering what happened to the weight savings with the Ford aluminum body? I realize you have a King Ranch loaded, but our 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie is well optioned and has a payload of 5,411#.
Do you know what your TV weighs loaded ready to hook up? Our Ram weighs right at 10,000# ready to hook up, we have an in bed tool box with some
Weight in it, but we have used 1,411# before we back under the 5er.
Only a trip to scales will answer your questions
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 03:07 AM   #19
CedarCreekWoody

Quote:
You are good on license. You don't need a CDL.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 05:14 AM   #20
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Just wondering what happened to the weight savings with the Ford aluminum body? I realize you have a King Ranch loaded, but our 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie is well optioned and has a payload of 5,411#.
Do you know what your TV weighs loaded ready to hook up? Our Ram weighs right at 10,000# ready to hook up, we have an in bed tool box with some
Weight in it, but we have used 1,411# before we back under the 5er.
Only a trip to scales will answer your questions
According to the "old advertising claims" converting to aluminum body panels saved about 700 pounds in weight. Ford "used those pounds to build stronger frames from heavier gauge steel, installed stronger drive lines and 4 wheel drive components, resulting in an overall weight reduction of about 350 pounds.... So, the actual vehicle weight which is typically heavier than a comparable RAM truck (or was before aluminum body panels) was only reduced by about half of the "aluminum weight savings".

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing