Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 03-30-2021, 01:03 PM   #1
Sarge2

Installed Vortec Vent van upgrade

Just installed a pair of Vortec II vent fan upgrades. Bathroom was easy as it had a small one speed fan already. The Kitchen was a non powered fan and there wasn't any wires there to use. I fished them thru the ceiling to the nearest ceiling light. No problems and the fans work super... and yes the ceiling lights must be on to use the fan... (may redo that at a later date)
Now just an observation...
The wires to the LED ceiling lights are tiny 18ga or even smaller wires. There are only 3 of the lights on the ceiling. What was strange was they were spliced into what appeared to be 14ga wires. Pretty heavy to run LED ceiling lights.
Same with the original Bathroom fan. the switch was 18ga wire as well, but was spliced into 14ga. Just found that strange. Also, the screws that are supposed be installed holding the lower vent sections onto the metal crossbar in the vent were not there. It was held in by friction fit and the 4 surround screws that at least one on each was screwed into nothing. 2 on one of them. Had to get longer screws to actually hit the wood framework then paint the head of the screw white.
Ultimately it was not as easy as I thought it would be but wasn't terrible either. And by the way, The Keystone wiring diagrams and such were great for the color coding by the way. All the wires were exactly the color they said they used.. Thought anyone wanting to upgrade might be interested...
Sarge2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 02:57 AM   #2
jwfrede

Vent Fan Replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge2 View Post
Just installed a pair of Vortec II vent fan upgrades. Bathroom was easy as it had a small one speed fan already. The Kitchen was a non powered fan and there wasn't any wires there to use. I fished them thru the ceiling to the nearest ceiling light. No problems and the fans work super... and yes the ceiling lights must be on to use the fan... (may redo that at a later date)
Now just an observation...
The wires to the LED ceiling lights are tiny 18ga or even smaller wires. There are only 3 of the lights on the ceiling. What was strange was they were spliced into what appeared to be 14ga wires. Pretty heavy to run LED ceiling lights.
Same with the original Bathroom fan. the switch was 18ga wire as well, but was spliced into 14ga. Just found that strange. Also, the screws that are supposed be installed holding the lower vent sections onto the metal crossbar in the vent were not there. It was held in by friction fit and the 4 surround screws that at least one on each was screwed into nothing. 2 on one of them. Had to get longer screws to actually hit the wood framework then paint the head of the screw white.
Ultimately it was not as easy as I thought it would be but wasn't terrible either. And by the way, The Keystone wiring diagrams and such were great for the color coding by the way. All the wires were exactly the color they said they used.. Thought anyone wanting to upgrade might be interested...
I just purchased a new 2020 Cougar 27SGS and plan to make similar installations(haven't picked it up yet). A couple of years ago I put a vortex fan in the bathroom of my 2016 APEX and it took about 1 hr. I based the wiring off the existing fan and duplicated connections for the vortex and never had to look at any info for the trailer. One of the easiest mods I've ever made.

The bedroom on the Cougar has a vent but no fan so I may have the same issue with finding some wires. Can I assume you took part of the vent assembly apart and could access the wires from there? This place is designed for the second A/C so there should be some A/C wiring but I need some DC wiring.

For those that have installed max fans or fan-tastic fans was it worth the additional cost and hassle to put in the entire vent assembly, go on the roof, and seal, etc.? It looks like those fans are a little bigger in diameter in the same hole and could push a lot more air.

This is my first post on this forum. I've been on the Forrest River Forum for a number of years. Interestingly the layout and web design is identical with the exception that the name Keystone appears instead of Forrest River.
Obviously the same company provided the software, and at cheapest costs because they have absolutely identical designs.
jwfrede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 05:39 AM   #3
roadglide

Vortech that I looked at has low and high speeds with forward and reverse and 10 fins. The fan you installed was it similar to the one I described?
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 05:55 AM   #4
jwfrede

Sounds like the same thing. Got it on Amazon in 2018:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
jwfrede is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led, upgrade, vent