Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Freeways & Byways
Click Here to Login

Old 02-11-2021, 09:28 PM   #21
linux3

Humm, If we bring our TT rather than leaving it in Bryan and camp then I can get BBQ to go and my wife will be more than happy to make herself a nice salad.

She doesn't really like eating out and would rather eat her own cooking.
We travel for weeks at a time and never eat out.
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 06:29 AM   #22
Texas Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by linux3 View Post
I grew up on German food but......
The ugly situation is my wife is a vegetarian and I'm an omnivor.
So, we need to find BBQ joints that also have good vegie stuff.
Most BBQ places in Texas have potato salad, coleslaw, and pickles and onions!...
Texas Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 08:34 AM   #23
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Steve View Post
Most BBQ places in Texas have potato salad, coleslaw, and pickles and onions!...

^^^^Bingo!!! Franklin's, Black's et al......a virtual omnivores delight with the perfect vegetarian menu thrown right in! And don't forget the beans!! What's not to love?? And, those German restaurants in Fredericksburg have their own variations of vegetarian selections AND for those omnivores, who could pass up a platter of fabulous jagerschnitzel and German potato salad (vegetarian!) or.....a big plate of beef rouladen???? The more I think about it the list seems endless for a vegetarian in central TX. Yep, if it wasn't for my daughter's upcoming surgery next week I'd pull up stakes and go eat in TX!!
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 11:46 AM   #24
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Steve View Post
And beans with pork and Shiner beer!!
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 12:23 PM   #25
jasin1

Heard about that Texas pileup on the highway... sad to hear about... I didn’t realize it snowed much in Texas
Old 02-12-2021, 12:47 PM   #26
sourdough
Site Team

It doesn't snow much in TX but this was freezing rain....in the DFW metro area where folks drive crazily no matter the situation. They get away with it generally but not on this day - ice is tough to be on and tough to see; I believe the last count was 133 vehicles and 6 dead...

Old 02-12-2021, 01:03 PM   #27
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
It doesn't snow much in TX but this was freezing rain....in the DFW metro area where folks drive crazily no matter the situation. They get away with it generally but not on this day - ice is tough to be on and tough to see; I believe the last count was 133 vehicles and 6 dead...

That’s really terrible ... I’m gonna get off the highway and in a campground if weather looks ugly when I travel next month
Old 02-12-2021, 02:44 PM   #28
JRTJH
Site Team

The "city fathers" in Alexandria, LA, in their "great wisdom" (totally ironic) determined that I-49 through the city, should be an "elevated highway to assure rapid transit without disrupting the buildings below the roadway"....

Yeah right..... What "they" created is a super skating rink EVERY time the ambient temperature falls below 32F. Keep in mind that I-49 parallels the Red River, so there is an abundantly high humidity level "right next to the interstate"...

Every time the temperature near the freezing mark, all the locals know (have learned through experience) to use surface roads and avoid I-49. Unfortunately, the same "inherent experience" is not available to "out of towners" who might be travelling through the area.... It's much the same in the DFW area. Every year, when the temperature falls, the roads get icy and there's almost always one or two of these "major pile-ups".

I don't know if there's any way to prevent it from happening, but if you're anywhere with low temps and high humidity, heed the many signs that say, "BRIDGE FREEZES BEFORE HIGHWAY".

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 03:37 PM   #29
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
The "city fathers" in Alexandria, LA, in their "great wisdom" (totally ironic) determined that I-49 through the city, should be an "elevated highway to assure rapid transit without disrupting the buildings below the roadway"....

Yeah right..... What "they" created is a super skating rink EVERY time the ambient temperature falls below 32F. Keep in mind that I-49 parallels the Red River, so there is an abundantly high humidity level "right next to the interstate"...

Every time the temperature near the freezing mark, all the locals know (have learned through experience) to use surface roads and avoid I-49. Unfortunately, the same "inherent experience" is not available to "out of towners" who might be travelling through the area.... It's much the same in the DFW area. Every year, when the temperature falls, the roads get icy and there's almost always one or two of these "major pile-ups".

I don't know if there's any way to prevent it from happening, but if you're anywhere with low temps and high humidity, heed the many signs that say, "BRIDGE FREEZES BEFORE HIGHWAY".

I think a big problem in places like Alexandria (or LA for that matter), DFW etc. is the fact the you have lots of drivers that don't "have a clue" about various road conditions that can happen in different kinds of weather. They just "plow" ahead until something tells them they shouldn't - in this case a pileup.

What bothers me, and always has, is watching people driving at speeds as if there is no concern, even the OTR drivers which IMO should never happen. When that misty water sheen on the highway doesn't shine and reflect lights anymore slow down and check it out when the temps warrant it. I just slow down to a manageable speed then hit the brakes to see if it wants to let go. I don't mind snow but ice is dangerous and you have to know what you are looking at AND give it a LOT of respect.
Old 02-12-2021, 08:21 PM   #30
linux3

Having lived all my life in Western NY I've seen lots of accidents caused by black ice but I've never seen anything like this.

The roads are salted around here I guess Texas doesn't have the equipment for that.
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 03:08 AM   #31
CedarCreekWoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by linux3 View Post
Having lived all my life in Western NY I've seen lots of accidents caused by black ice but I've never seen anything like this.

The roads are salted around here I guess Texas doesn't have the equipment for that.
These roads were salted, but apparently not heavy enough. The problem is too many of us don't have the sense to slow down. Cars and big rigs were impacting this pile up at full speed.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote