Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-14-2021, 08:29 AM   #1
Brando

AC not blowing in cold air

Hi All. My 2020 Outback TT has two AC units. One in the main (kitchen/livingroom) area, and one in the bedroom. Both are the Coleman Mach Model. TT uses 50 Amp.

The AC in the main area, blows cold air directly from the unit. It works fine. Up on the roof, you can feel the heat being pushed out the vents, and the water steaming out to the gutters for draining.

The AC in the bedroom, blows cool air from the unit. Unfortunately not cold air like the AC in the main area. Up on the roof, you cannot feel the heat being pushed out, and there is no water streaming out from the unit.

I have both set to "Cold HI" inside for a temp goal of 75.

The problem is the bedroom AC is not pushing the cold air that we need for 90 degree and humid day so the bedroom is only about 4-8 degrees cooler than the outdoor temp. My guess is the main area AC is doing all the heavy lifting, which is bringing the temp for the main area down to 10-15 degrees cooler than outside.

I've read other forums and posts on this forum. Unfortunately I don't have the tools, gadgets, or AC technical know-how to figure out what is what and test what for what.
So for someone at my elementary skill level, what are some simple tests or things I could try to get the bedroom unit to work like the main area AC unit? Goal obviously being that we want cold, not cool, air coming out.
Any additional thoughts as to what my problem could be? So if I need to bring the TT in for repairs/replacement, I'm not going in dumb?

Thanks!
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 08:38 AM   #2
travelin texans

With the fan speed set to "hi" the fan will be blowing constantly whether the A/C compressor is running or not which may account for the cool air as opposed to cold. Unless they've changed the method of operation in newer rvs I'd suggest changing the the setting on both to "cool auto", the fans will only run when compressor does.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 09:16 AM   #3
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brando View Post
Hi All. My 2020 Outback TT has two AC units. One in the main (kitchen/livingroom) area, and one in the bedroom. Both are the Coleman Mach Model. TT uses 50 Amp.

The AC in the main area, blows cold air directly from the unit. It works fine. Up on the roof, you can feel the heat being pushed out the vents, and the water steaming out to the gutters for draining.

The AC in the bedroom, blows cool air from the unit. Unfortunately not cold air like the AC in the main area. Up on the roof, you cannot feel the heat being pushed out, and there is no water streaming out from the unit.

I have both set to "Cold HI" inside for a temp goal of 75.

The problem is the bedroom AC is not pushing the cold air that we need for 90 degree and humid day so the bedroom is only about 4-8 degrees cooler than the outdoor temp. My guess is the main area AC is doing all the heavy lifting, which is bringing the temp for the main area down to 10-15 degrees cooler than outside.

I've read other forums and posts on this forum. Unfortunately I don't have the tools, gadgets, or AC technical know-how to figure out what is what and test what for what.
So for someone at my elementary skill level, what are some simple tests or things I could try to get the bedroom unit to work like the main area AC unit? Goal obviously being that we want cold, not cool, air coming out.
Any additional thoughts as to what my problem could be? So if I need to bring the TT in for repairs/replacement, I'm not going in dumb?

Thanks!
Are both units ducted?

If so, turn OFF both units then leave the Livingroom unit OFF... Now turn the bedroom unit on COOL and AUTO... check the air coming from the bedroom vents.... is it COLD ? If not the unit is most likely bad.. My would start the compressor for less than a minute and then quit, but because mine is a quiet cool with no unit actually in the room it was difficult to hear it.. and the fan would continue to run until I cut it off or the temp setting was reached..
Old 06-14-2021, 11:31 AM   #4
Brando

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
With the fan speed set to "hi" the fan will be blowing constantly whether the A/C compressor is running or not which may account for the cool air as opposed to cold. Unless they've changed the method of operation in newer rvs I'd suggest changing the the setting on both to "cool auto", the fans will only run when compressor does.
Good point. I do have the "auto" option for both HI and LOW Cool. I'll give that a shot. Thanks.
Old 06-14-2021, 11:35 AM   #5
Brando

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Are both units ducted?

If so, turn OFF both units then leave the Livingroom unit OFF... Now turn the bedroom unit on COOL and AUTO... check the air coming from the bedroom vents.... is it COLD ? If not the unit is most likely bad.. My would start the compressor for less than a minute and then quit, but because mine is a quiet cool with no unit actually in the room it was difficult to hear it.. and the fan would continue to run until I cut it off or the temp setting was reached..
Yes, they are. Duct together really, which is how the main area can cool the bedroom, to a lesser degree, as well as the bathroom. Vice versa, the bedroom can also cool the bathroom. But also the main area, to a much lesser degree.

I'll try the "auto" feature and start out with the bedroom AC first.
I will say this is the 3rd time using both ACs, so this time around, the bedroom was only blowing cool air. I was thinking it was something with the compressor too, but as stated previously, unfortunately I don't have the tools or know-how to test that.

Thanks for your input.
Old 06-14-2021, 12:48 PM   #6
Javi

Quote:
Yes, they are. Duct together really, which is how the main area can cool the bedroom, to a lesser degree, as well as the bathroom. Vice versa, the bedroom can also cool the bathroom. But also the main area, to a much lesser degree.

I'll try the "auto" feature and start out with the bedroom AC first.
I will say this is the 3rd time using both ACs, so this time around, the bedroom was only blowing cool air. I was thinking it was something with the compressor too, but as stated previously, unfortunately I don't have the tools or know-how to test that.

Thanks for your input.
What I want you to do is check the bedroom A/C to see if it is cooling at all... Not just start it first... Don't run the Livingroom A/C during the test...
Old 06-17-2021, 08:13 AM   #7
Brando

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
What I want you to do is check the bedroom A/C to see if it is cooling at all... Not just start it first... Don't run the Livingroom A/C during the test...
So I ran the test you suggested, and it's a no-go. It kicks out air, just not cold air. I tried the test again with the LO setting. Same. Tried without the "auto" setting. Same. Tried to switch between Fan and AC settings. Same. It'll go through the motions (and click noises) for the function requested. But no cold air will blow from the unit.
As a last resort, I suppressed the direct air from the bedroom unit itself, forcing the air to go through the vent system. No change.

I think this unit is bad, so I'll have to call out a warranty on it from the dealer.

Thanks for all the advice folks!
Old 06-17-2021, 08:26 AM   #8
Javi

Quote:
So I ran the test you suggested, and it's a no-go. It kicks out air, just not cold air. I tried the test again with the LO setting. Same. Tried without the "auto" setting. Same. Tried to switch between Fan and AC settings. Same. It'll go through the motions (and click noises) for the function requested. But no cold air will blow from the unit.
As a last resort, I suppressed the direct air from the bedroom unit itself, forcing the air to go through the vent system. No change.

I think this unit is bad, so I'll have to call out a warranty on it from the dealer.

Thanks for all the advice folks!
Good luck with the warranty, that's not to say they won't make it good... It'll just take forever.. I just went through the same thing with my bedroom 13.5 Coleman.. Told it would be November at the earliest and possibly December..

Getting a 15K installed as we speak.. I just ordered one and paid them to put it on.. When the warranty unit comes in, I'll sell it..
Old 06-17-2021, 01:22 PM   #9
bobbecky

Our 13.5 Dometic did the same thing years ago, while still under warranty. Took it in to CW west of Boise and they pulled the hood off of it and found compressor oil everywhere. Got real lucky with this, they called Dometic, got approval, and as luck would have it, they had a brand new A/C on the shelf that had been ordered for a new unit but that unit had been traded before the A/C showed up. A couple hours later we were hooking up to head back to the campground.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 12:32 PM   #10
insidegeorgia

We had a similar issue with our brand new 2020 Outback that we purchased from Camping World. In our case, it was the main AC that was not putting out cold air - we found out it didn't work while the salesman was doing our walk around prior to delivery. They replaced the AC unit, but I made the mistake of not checking it before I left Camping World. When I got home, I found out that it was still not working.

Fan mode worked correctly and when in cool mode, the fan would come on but the compressor would not kick in. After reading numerous posts about AC issues, all of which focused on the thermostat being the culprit, I took the thermo for the main AC off the wall.

When I looked at the wires, I noticed that ALL of the wires looked as if they had been crimped but not cut all the way through. I had set the thermo to cool hi before I took it down and as soon as I jiggled the thermo, I heard the compressor kick on and cold air came out.

I pulled out the slack, cut off the bad sections and replaced the wires in the thermo and it hasn't failed yet. The thermo is easy to remove, just push up on it from the bottom and lift off - it has a "keyhole" slot on the back. To remove the wires, there are tabs that yuo push in and then pull the wire out. I would take a picture of the wire layout first so you have a reference when you replace them.

I hope that your problem is as simple as mine. Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cut wires.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	34639  
insidegeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote