Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 05-21-2021, 04:52 AM   #21
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
The article reads like it was generated by a computer, or someone in China using a language translation program. I know the author says he lives in the southern US but it sounds like BS to me. Twice he mentions the tires were difficult to mount on his trailer. WTH is he talking about. No trust in any of it.
YEP !!! There are way too many of those "little clues spread around that article".... Just reading the yellow "bottom line boxes" was "sufficient evidence" for me....

I really liked the one comment (NOT) where the writer "gave a tire brand a negative review" Reason: There are only 5 lug holes....

I do agree with a couple of reviews:

TRAILER KING: Overall, the concerns about the tire falling apart with frequent usage make this product a non-buy for me. I can’t risk having to buy another tire in another few months.

CARLISLE RADIAL TRAIL HD: If it weren’t outside my price range, this tire would be the best product for my trailer tire needs. In fact, I might splurge and buy it regardless. After all, it might be more cost effective in the long run.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 05:20 AM   #22
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
YEP !!! There are way too many of those "little clues spread around that article".... Just reading the yellow "bottom line boxes" was "sufficient evidence" for me....

I really liked the one comment (NOT) where the writer "gave a tire brand a negative review" Reason: There are only 5 lug holes....

I do agree with a couple of reviews:

TRAILER KING: Overall, the concerns about the tire falling apart with frequent usage make this product a non-buy for me. I can’t risk having to buy another tire in another few months.

CARLISLE RADIAL TRAIL HD: If it weren’t outside my price range, this tire would be the best product for my trailer tire needs. In fact, I might splurge and buy it regardless. After all, it might be more cost effective in the long run.
That comment regarding price of Carlisle tires being outside of the writer's financial range is funny. At Wallys, the TK is $76 a tire (ST225/75R15 LRE) and the same size Carlisle is $86. $40 for a set of four tires too much moolah?
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 05:28 AM   #23
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
That comment regarding price of Carlisle tires being outside of the writer's financial range is funny. At Wallys, the TK is $76 a tire (ST225/75R15 LRE) and the same size Carlisle is $86. $40 for a set of four tires too much moolah?
I found that "comical" as well... But then, maybe he was looking for 6 lug tires and the dealer only had 5 lug tires

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 05:40 AM   #24
flybouy
Site Team

Those reviews remind me of so many I've read on Amazon. The "product" reviews are everything from "delivery was quick" to the "delivery man had a cute smile" but nothing remotely connected to the actual product.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 05:55 AM   #25
wiredgeorge

RVWeb has "10 best" type ratings for a zillion items. https://www.rvweb.net/
Almost all the ratings are done by one guy, William Turner. This would make his preferences on the subjective side at best. If I were to rate things, doubt the ratings would be remotely similar to Mr. Turner's.
Old 05-21-2021, 01:17 PM   #26
gearhead

Apparently Mr. Turners brain runneth over. That's one smart son of a gun if he's an expert on all things RV.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 01:25 PM   #27
flybouy
Site Team

The disclosure quoted below should tell you all you need to know.

"AFFILIATE DISCLOSURE
Rvweb.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases."
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 02:31 PM   #28
wiredgeorge

How could one guy rate 10 different tire brands? Does anyone on this forum think they have recent experience with more than a couple brands? Does he do these 10 bests based on specs, Amazon ratings, hanging out on forums, etc.? Same with any of the ratings on that site. If he earns from Amazon in some fashion, does that factor into his preferences in the ratings?
Old 05-21-2021, 03:32 PM   #29
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
How could one guy rate 10 different tire brands? Does anyone on this forum think they have recent experience with more than a couple brands? Does he do these 10 bests based on specs, Amazon ratings, hanging out on forums, etc.? Same with any of the ratings on that site. If he earns from Amazon in some fashion, does that factor into his preferences in the ratings?

He can't. Like Consumer Reports trying to rate a tire, which they don't have a clue about. It's just jibberish from folks that need something to talk about to sell themselves, magazines or whatever. Sort of like asking my grandma what she thought of my new Remington 870; "Oh Danny, it's so shiny. I bet it will do a GOOD job setting those fence posts!"; ie; no idea.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 07:12 AM   #30
Ccrew

4x 225/75/15 Goodyear Endurance bought from Discount Tire on their recent promotion = $468 to my door.

Carlisles aren't a bad tire but they're one speed rating below Goodyear
Ccrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 08:14 AM   #31
K and D

Experience is an excellent teacher and with all of the long time rv'ers on this site, I see multiple options that appear solid. I have a long term relationship with my tire dealer and have been riding Good Year Endurance for over three years without a blip. If my dealer sold Carlisles, I may be riding on them. My biggest concern is continually checking for proper pressure and wear. I prefer to minimize the chance of surprises on the side of the road....
Crew Cab 4 x 4 Short Bed

K and D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 11:19 AM   #32
Mikelff

I have spoken with a few people running the Heartland 16” G rated tires from Discount Tire. They report positive experiences. Long mileage and even wear. There is not a lot of reviews out there or information out there on these tires. According to Discount tire, the heartland tires have almost a 500 pound higher weight rating than the Goodyear Endurance, which I would prefer the higher weight rating. I am running Sailuns now and just replacing a spare under an insurance claim. Just easier dealing with Discount Tire for an insurance claim replacement, and since the Heartland had a much higher weight rating, wanted to see what kind of experience people had with them. Keep in mind that Sailuns are also made in China but people rave about them. The OP was asking about Heartland vs Goodyear but didn’t get much response about the comparison. I am interested in the same thing. Who knows? They might be a great tire! Looking for first hand experience.
Mikelff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 01:21 PM   #33
Tireman9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Global Driver View Post
Can ya'll provide some insight or wisdom on the brand Hartland?

Goodyears - $1003
Hartlands - $754

ST225 / 75 R15

I don't want to pay $250 extra just for a name, but also know $250 is worth it if the Goodyears are that much better.

Thanks!

Can you tell us who makes Hartland tires? Are there any company stores owned by Hartland or are these just private brand tires imported and dold by Discount Tire stores? Do you have a Hartland tire available for inspection? Knowing the first 2 characters of the DOT serial will allow us to identify who and where the tires were made.
Old 05-27-2021, 02:27 PM   #34
wiredgeorge

See post #11... I am not a tire expert so have no idea who that Chinese company is.
Old 05-27-2021, 05:28 PM   #35
CWtheMan

Quote:
see post #11... I am not a tire expert so have no idea who that chinese company is.
011 shandong hongsheng rubber technology co., ltd. Dongyiing city, shandong province china
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 11:45 AM   #36
Tireman9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
I did not recommend anything; I just provided info. Brands are just to controversial and I try real hard to stay away from such discussions. However, when a brand has features that most other's don't have I'll mention them. An example is the GY Endurance. They introduced a scuff guard feature where material was added to the tire sidewall for some protection. It added weight to the tires but not strength. Westlake and Rainier have introduced off road ST tires. Steel casing has been developed for 15" ST tires and showing-up in most of the popular brands. GY has a 16" ST tire that provides 4080# of load capacity at 80 PSI, it's at least 3" taller than other 16" ST tires. AND, Trailer King ST tires are always in the top 10 best ST tire listing by consumer reports, sometimes all the way to the top. so, consumer reports are full of bull, right? So are many of the antidotal statements about ST tire brand failures.

https://www.rvweb.net/best-trailer-tires-reviewed/

Are you sure about "Steel Casing"? Steel casing aka the body or sidewall is not likely to appear in RV tires with Load Range less than "F". The material in the sidewall (body or casing) is listed on the tire sidewall. The material in the tread is also listed on the tire sidewall.

RE the "10 Best" click bait" post. My comment "Every tire is great but none provide the confidence for you to buy??? How does a tire & wheel package become better with “the 5-lug pattern makes this trailer tire perfect for trailer owners because it allows for an easy installation.” but he shows a 6 bolt hole wheel. Is he sure the tire has steel in the tire sidewall? or is he referring to the steel wheel? Does this mean that the tires shown mounted on Aluminum wheels aren’t as good or that they can’t be mounted on steel wheels? IMO this post is just “click bait” where is the test data that supports his conclusions? I believe that all the tires except the “2-Pack” have center rib so how does that feature make the #1 Trailer King better?"
Old 05-29-2021, 06:32 AM   #37
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Are you sure about "Steel Casing"? Steel casing aka the body or sidewall is not likely to appear in RV tires with Load Range less than "F". The material in the sidewall (body or casing) is listed on the tire sidewall. The material in the tread is also listed on the tire sidewall.

RE the "10 Best" click bait" post. My comment "Every tire is great but none provide the confidence for you to buy??? How does a tire & wheel package become better with “the 5-lug pattern makes this trailer tire perfect for trailer owners because it allows for an easy installation.” but he shows a 6 bolt hole wheel. Is he sure the tire has steel in the tire sidewall? or is he referring to the steel wheel? Does this mean that the tires shown mounted on Aluminum wheels aren’t as good or that they can’t be mounted on steel wheels? IMO this post is just “click bait” where is the test data that supports his conclusions? I believe that all the tires except the “2-Pack” have center rib so how does that feature make the #1 Trailer King better?"

I only quote what a manufacture has to say about their tires.

http://transeagletires.com/

This ref: https://www.rvweb.net/best-trailer-tires-reviewed/
was supposed to get a HAHAHA! Some people just think my tire posts are overbearing and I surprised them with that link.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote