Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 06-16-2021, 06:36 AM   #21
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSisemoreTX View Post
I drove on the Hi Spec Oracle tires for 9 months on my 2020 Keyatone Laredo TT (no issues, less than 5k miles). Then we upgraded to a 5th wheel, 2020 Keystone Avalanche 396BH (16,500 lbs) and it also had the Hi Spec Oracle tires. We bought it used and tried a long trip from Houston to Phoenix and then back thru El Paso, diverting toward Big Bend before the final stretch back home to Houston.

We had a tire blow out near Marfa, TX --> Middle of No Where! We had a sliced hydraulic hose, destroyed wheel, destroyed fender skirt. Counting RV Tech and replacement parts, it cost us about $1200.

Hi Spec Warranty Dept, promptly sent me a new tire and rim and they were easy to work with.

We are leaving in 2 weeks on a 6000 mile trip from TX to Glacier NP, Yellowstone, and Grand Tetons....and yes we decided to upgrade. Almost went with Sailun, but decided on the Trans Eagles.....
This is not intended to be a rebuke of any sort. I just want to get a recommendation on record and it's about this situation.

No matter how well tires look on the outside they may not be telling the whole story. Used trailers of any age are suspect for damaged tires. At the very minimum, I recommend having the tires inspected internally. The inner liners are going to show damages not being able to discern from the external inspections.

Tread wear and mileage are poor indicators for trailer tire conditions. Trailer tires age out. Age is not common from situation to situation. Tires that sit around underinflated/overloaded degrade and age much more rapidly than tires properly inflated and used regularly.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 09:59 AM   #22
JSisemoreTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
This is not intended to be a rebuke of any sort. I just want to get a recommendation on record and it's about this situation.

No matter how well tires look on the outside they may not be telling the whole story. Used trailers of any age are suspect for damaged tires. At the very minimum, I recommend having the tires inspected internally. The inner liners are going to show damages not being able to discern from the external inspections.

Tread wear and mileage are poor indicators for trailer tire conditions. Trailer tires age out. Age is not common from situation to situation. Tires that sit around underinflated/overloaded degrade and age much more rapidly than tires properly inflated and used regularly.

All the above is true....it is up to each person to know and understand if their tires are safe and up to par for the rig they haul. One would have to write several pages in order to cover all the variables and factors related to the subject of tires.
JSisemoreTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 05:25 AM   #23
DavidAndDonna

-we just purchased an Avalanche 312RS and I'm looking for a load rating chart for air pressure.
Do you have a load inflation chart?
Thanks
Old 09-26-2021, 06:14 AM   #24
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidAndDonna View Post
-we just purchased an Avalanche 312RS and I'm looking for a load rating chart for air pressure.
Do you have a load inflation chart?
Thanks
There is no "built in reserve capacity" with ST tires like there is in LT tires.

Load capacity is based on air pressure (not ply rating), so it's the air that gives you the "ability to carry more weight".

All manufacturers of travel trailers take that into account when fitting specific tires to their trailer. The recommend tire pressure placard on the front right of the trailer should be followed.

Is there a reason you don't want to tow at recommended pressures???

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 06:15 AM   #25
JSisemoreTX

I believe you would consult both the label on your rig as well the #'s on the tire themselves. Use the MAX PSI rating to ensure the tire walls are at their strongest to prevent blowouts when you inevitably hit a pot hole going 50 mph plus.
Payload Capacity - 2616
JSisemoreTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 06:20 AM   #26
DavidAndDonna

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
There is no "built in reserve capacity" with ST tires like there is in LT tires.

Load capacity is based on air pressure (not ply rating), so it's the air that gives you the "ability to carry more weight".

All manufacturers of travel trailers take that into account when fitting specific tires to their trailer. The recommend tire pressure placard on the front right of the trailer should be followed.

Is there a reason you don't want to tow at recommended pressures???
The intent was to have HiSpec refer me to their load rating chart.
Thanks
Old 09-26-2021, 07:09 AM   #27
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidAndDonna View Post
The intent was to have HiSpec refer me to their load rating chart.
Thanks
HiSpec doesn't monitor this forum.... You might try their website, at the bottom you'll find a "Contact" link. http://www.hispecwheel.com/contact

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 06:20 AM   #28
HiSpec
Industry Rep

Good Morning,

I have attached a sheet to give you some general information on ST tires. I hope this answers your question. If not we are happy to help any way we can.
(Please note that it is recommended to try to keep your tires at the pressure listed to archive the best performance from your tires.)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ST Tire Load Capacity.pdf (247.0 KB, 303 views)
HiSpec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 12:45 PM   #29
Traveling Harvey's

Two flats/ one day

We have traveled about 20,000 miles in our 2020 Laredo with HiSpec 225/75R15 117M Load E tires. Yesterday we had two flats caught by our TMPS. First flat we had stopped for lunch and returned to an alarming TPMS. Installed the spare.
At 9pm, TPMS alarmed on slow leak. I could hear the air escapingwhen I investigated.
First tire was a cracked stem.
Second tire was a partial delamination of the tread requiring replacement.
Manufacture date is 1919 - 2-1/2yrs old
I haven't contacted HiSpec yet but I'm looking to replace all tires.
My history with tires is once one starts tread separation the rest are close behind. I've had similar issues with a Chinese OEM tire and Hercules tires. I'm looking at Goodyear Endurance tires.
Traveling Harvey's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 01:30 PM   #30
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveling Harvey's View Post
We have traveled about 20,000 miles in our 2020 Laredo with HiSpec 225/75R15 117M Load E tires. Yesterday we had two flats caught by our TMPS. First flat we had stopped for lunch and returned to an alarming TPMS. Installed the spare.
At 9pm, TPMS alarmed on slow leak. I could hear the air escapingwhen I investigated.
My history with tires is once one starts tread separation the rest are close behind. I've had similar issues with a Chinese OEM tire and Hercules tires. I'm looking at Goodyear Endurance tires.
We use Carlisle Radial HD Trail in the same size as is on your camper and I am on my fifth or sixth set over the years. Perhaps Goodyear Marathons come to my mind when I consider spending the extra for the Endurance.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 01:33 PM   #31
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveling Harvey's View Post
Welcome to the forum.

The cracked valve stem you can't blame on the tire. I have the same size tires and replaced my OEM tires over 5 years ago with Carlisle Radial Trail HDs. Don't know the miles but typically they age out before the tread wears out. Personally, I'll be replacing them next spring with the same tires.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 05:16 PM   #32
Traveling Harvey's

Thanks. I'll look at Carlisle tires.
The attend will be replaced with all steel stems. TPMS recommended steel. Mine were steel on rubber base.
Traveling Harvey's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 09:52 PM   #33
ChuckS

With the number of posts Ive personally seen on an Alpine group with the pictures of the blown HiSpec tires I wouldn't have them on my lawn garden cart.. They are JUNK

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 10:44 PM   #34
Joe2bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
With the number of posts Ive personally seen on an Alpine group with the pictures of the blown HiSpec tires I wouldn't have them on my lawn garden cart.. They are JUNK
Can you link the forum?

I just purchased a 2022 avalanch with Hi Spec tires and want to research what is happening with these tires. Thanks!
Joe2bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 01:40 AM   #35
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe2bear View Post
Can you link the forum?

I just purchased a 2022 Avalanch with Hi Spec tires and want to research what is happening with these tires. Thanks!

Because the Chinese ST tire manufacturers have no problem changing molds for brand names, a lot of USA wholesalers want a name recognition. Hi-Spec is a well recognized wheel provided and they may have wanted tires to match their wheel name.

To investigate who the real builder of the Hi-Spec tires is, you can get the manufacturing plant code off the tire. Part of the plant information will have the tire manufacturer’s name. You may be surprised to find that they may manufacturer more than a dozen brand names from the same molds. And that’s one of the primary reasons I don’t like to get involved with name brands.
Old 10-31-2021, 05:54 AM   #36
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Because the Chinese ST tire manufacturers have no problem changing molds for brand names, a lot of USA wholesalers want a name recognition. Hi-Spec is a well recognized wheel provided and they may have wanted tires to match their wheel name.

To investigate who the real builder of the Hi-Spec tires is, you can get the manufacturing plant code off the tire. Part of the plant information will have the tire manufacturer’s name. You may be surprised to find that they may manufacturer more than a dozen brand names from the same molds. And that’s one of the primary reasons I don’t like to get involved with name brands.
Because they use the same mold does that equate to the tires being the same? It's common practice in all forms of multi-brand manufacturing to make a product to the customer specs, not just a difference in labels. So while the outside may look similar or even identical what's inside?
Old 10-31-2021, 06:20 AM   #37
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Because they use the same mold does that equate to the tires being the same? It's common practice in all forms of multi-brand manufacturing to make a product to the customer specs, not just a difference in labels. So while the outside may look similar or even identical what's inside?
Nobody knows. Those materials are confidential.

I would speculate that Hi-Spec is not in the tire business, just using tires they have ordered to standards just like other non tire building wholesalers.

IMO, the most important subject about foreign tires, is, who does the testing. The plant builder, or a 3rd party of their choosing?

Don't forget, I do a lot of reading.

https://www.maxxis.com/us/technology...-tire-is-made/
Old 10-31-2021, 07:05 AM   #38
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Nobody knows. Those materials are confidential.

I would speculate that Hi-Spec is not in the tire business, just using tires they have ordered to standards just like other non tire building wholesalers.

IMO, the most important subject about foreign tires, is, who does the testing. The plant builder, or a 3rd party of their choosing?

Don't forget, I do a lot of reading.

https://www.maxxis.com/us/technology...-tire-is-made/
Glad to know you're an avid reader, so am I but not about tires. The point is, your statement "...You may be surprised to find that they may manufacturer more than a dozen brand names from the same molds..." may lead a "lesser read" person (on the subject of tires) to assume they would be the same.
Old 11-02-2021, 09:16 AM   #39
HiSpec
Industry Rep

Good Afternoon,

We at HiSpec want our end-users to know that we stand behind our tires and wheels, if you are having any issues with either our wheels or tires, please contact us at [email protected]. HiSpec does not use a house brand mold for our Oracle or Sonoran tire brands. Our team of engineers designs all of our wheels and tires in our Indiana facility where we have an onsite test facility and use third-party testing facilities for our products. We strive to provide safe reliable products yet at some point issues will occur and we try to handle issues in a fair responsible way to the end user.
HiSpec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 11:58 AM   #40
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Glad to know you're an avid reader, so am I but not about tires. The point is, your statement "...You may be surprised to find that they may manufacturer more than a dozen brand names from the same molds..." may lead a "lesser read" person (on the subject of tires) to assume they would be the same.
When made at the same factory/plant and having identical tread patterns we just don't know if the internal structure materials are also identical.

But, the bottom line here is name brands, how important are they? If they or their builder has a history of defective recalls, raised eye brows. Otherwise, it just may boil down to anecdotal information. Flip a coin.

Tags
tires