Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-26-2021, 11:10 PM   #1
mworley

Slide Toppers

I have a 2019 Cougar 310, I decided to put 3 slide toppers on I measured the slide from outside flange to outside flange and I started to research them and found the right size for the 2 larger slides but my bedroom slide measures 6` 9" from outside flange to outside flange , all I could find is 6` 6" or 7` in size. do I go 3" bigger of 3" smaller , i don't think 1 1/2 inches on either side will be a problem ,but that's why I'm asking this forum with a lot of knowledge here . Thanks
mworley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 04:07 AM   #2
Skippy38

Quote:
Originally Posted by mworley View Post
I have a 2019 Cougar 310, I decided to put 3 slide toppers on I measured the slide from outside flange to outside flange and I started to research them and found the right size for the 2 larger slides but my bedroom slide measures 6` 9" from outside flange to outside flange , all I could find is 6` 6" or 7` in size. do I go 3" bigger of 3" smaller , i don't think 1 1/2 inches on either side will be a problem ,but that's why I'm asking this forum with a lot of knowledge here . Thanks
I have been researching this for mine also. I would definitely go for the larger size for the additional end protection. A couple of inches on either side is not a big deal assuming that you have the clearance.
Skippy38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 04:14 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

As long there is room for the brackets and awning rail, I would get the longer one.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 09:01 PM   #4
mworley

I bought 3 slide toppers and going to install them myself, I'm looking for any tips on installing them, I read a post from chuckster57 about using some SikaFlex on the brackets, do you use it on all 4 brackets per slide ? how about the awing rail ? any help would be welcome, thanks ahead of time
Old 06-15-2021, 09:54 PM   #5
mworley

opps 2 bracket and awing rail
Old 06-16-2021, 03:22 AM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

The dealership I worked at used SikaFlex behind the brackets. The independent shop I work at now just used putty/butyl tape behind everything. Butyl tape has more adhesive quality than putty tape.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 07:04 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

When I installed mine 5 years ago, I used butyl putty tape behind the awning rail and behind the roller brackets. When I drilled each hole in the side of the trailer (to match each hole on the awning rail) I pushed a little "tube sealant" (I used DICOR from a left-over tube that I sealed the roof with). I did the same with each of the screws on the roller bracket mounting screws.

After the entire awning was installed, I sealed the top surface of the awning rail with SikaFlex and also sealed around both of the roller tube brackets and over each screw head on both the awning rail and the brackets. Probably a significant amount of "overkill" on my part, but so far, no leaks and no rusty screws, so it works for me.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 08:23 AM   #8
Camping family

Quote:
Originally Posted by mworley View Post
I have been researching slide toppers for my 29 rks also. From what I have read on the topper sites states measure from outside flange to outside flange and add 5 inches. So with those instructions you would go with the larger one.

I also checked with my dealer and was told the same thing.
2021 3761 fl Montana 5th wheel
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Camping family is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide