Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 05-27-2021, 05:27 AM   #1
NJ High Country

RV turnaround time

My wife and I purchased our first RV on 5/11/21. On average, how long have others waited for the dealer to prep their unit? I understand these are unique times and dealerships are swamped. We're really excited to get the call to come get it!
NJ High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 05:53 AM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ High Country View Post
My wife and I purchased our first RV on 5/11/21. On average, how long have others waited for the dealer to prep their unit? I understand these are unique times and dealerships are swamped. We're really excited to get the call to come get it!
The advice I'm about to proffer is very important to your successful relationship with your dealer. Talk to your dealer. Anyone's reflection on how long it took them is irrelevant as that would only relate to that dealer at that time. I know you're eager and anxious but you need to cement that relationship with your dealer from the start. Let them know your expectations and understand the process.

Unlike purchasing a new car, trailers take a lot more to prep anmd check. When you buy a new car they pretty much wash it, throw in the floor mats and remove the protective plastic from the seats. With RV's much of the "final inspection" rests n the dealers going over the systems and appliances. Be patient and visit with the dealer. A phone call is easily ignored or forgotten but an in person visit can make a longer lasting impression.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 06:56 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

This is "my opinion" so take it for what it cost you....

The amount of time it takes for one worker to do the PDI checklist is pretty much the same today as it was last year or 5 years ago.

The amount of time it takes to "REPAIR" what is found when doing that checklist will vary from unit to unit and depend on both the skills of the repairman and the availability of parts to fix the problems.

The PDI scheduling will vary from dealer to dealer and from time to time at that dealership. What that means is this: If last week they sold 75 trailers and have one PDI service worker it will take significantly longer to get the "last one finished" than it would if they sold 1 trailer and have 5 PDI service workers "standing around doing nothing"....

So, the "time it takes to deliver your trailer" simply can not be judged by someone not "at that dealership reviewing their service workload schedule"....

What you need to do is go to the dealership, talk with (not talk at) the service manager and ask them what the time frame really is.... Keep in mind, if YOUR bank hasn't processed the loan, it may be out of the dealership's realm of responsibility... So be sure to confirm where the delay is occurring, not just "blame the PDI for taking too long".... It may be "sitting there, PDI complete, trailer ready for delivery" and the "finance department holding it up for YOUR bank to approve the loan"....

Make sure what's really causing the delay.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 07:28 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

I agree with the others. IF you have purchased it, the documents signed etc. then, if it were me, I would be very involved with what is going on. I always like to know so that I have that for reference (in my mind) if something fails in the future. Don't be a pest but have regular conversations/visits with them. When mine was in this last time I set up a schedule of emailing on Wednesdays for status and a personal visit every Friday at 1:30pm so they could just set that time aside.

If they had not gone through the trailer prior to your purchase to fix everything they could find beforehand the list could be rather extensive. That wouldn't be so bad but right now trying to get parts can be a bear depending on what it is. If they are trying to make repairs based on an inspection you did, and depending on what it was you required fixed, it might be something that is difficult to source.

It's easy to get all fired up since you have "purchased" it and now want to use it. Just remember that they are probably running full tilt with their backs to the wall trying to get things done and out to customers. Just get involved, be nice and help them in any way you can. I've had situations where they THOUGHT I wanted abc done this way or that and was going to hold the trailer for however long to get it done. A visit with them and I had the trailer back and returned several weeks later to get the abc completed in about an hour.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 07:35 AM   #5
LHaven

What I don't see anyone saying here, but will be important to you as a first time buyer, is that YOU are expected to inspect every feature of your new trailer to make sure it works and is undamaged before signing on the dotted line to take possession. Anything you find that needs repair before you sign, the dealer has to take care of -- there is no arguing about what the warranty does or does not cover. Once you sign, the dealer is off the hook for everything except warranty items, which will generally take a long time to repair.

And yes, this is often a several hour inspection, as there are dozens and dozens of things to check.

There is a PDI checklist posted here on the forum, listing the items and systems you ought to look at before declaring the sale a done deal. Print it out, get familiar with it, and take it to the dealer's on delivery day.

Edit: I think I provided the wrong link, above. That list is more like "things RVers need to pack." I found this PDI list referenced in another forum posting; if there is another local to the forum and somebody can provide a link, please do. I couldn't find one in either a forum posting or the Files section (adding a PDI list to the Files section would seem like a very good idea).
Old 05-27-2021, 07:37 AM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

As a tech that used to do PDIs at dealerships, I can tell you your unit could be ready in as little as 1/2 hr up to weeks. As stated, it depends on how detailed they are at getting it ready.

PDI ( pre delivery inspection) is designed for a tech to test every system in your unit and address any discrepancies before you get it. I’ve heard of dealerships that install a battery, fill the propane tanks and send it on its way. I used to work at a dealership that gave me 7.5 hrs to check a motorhome, and 4.5 to check a trailer.

I might be cautious about pressing the dealer for a fast delivery, you may be the one finding issues on your maiden voyage, and they might be serious. JMHO YMMV

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 08:01 AM   #7
Camp CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ High Country View Post
In my experience, purchasing 3 new fifth wheel trailers, the dealer has always scheduled the Pre-Delivery Inspection (PDI) AND payment for the trailer the same day we signed the purchase agreement, usually 1-1½ weeks later. That is the way it should work. I am sure dealers do not want to hold sold inventory AND without payment very long.
Camp CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 09:33 AM   #8
jasin1

The only thing I would add to it is I would make sure they move your trailer to the SOLD section.. when I bought mine I had them move it immediately and I told them in a nice and respectful way that I didn’t want any salesman bringing a bunch of people into the rv and testing out the bed and stomping all through the place after I agreed to buy it. Sometimes yours might be the only model on the lot and you have a 300 lb man with cowboy boots on seeing if he can fit in the shower or kids jumping on the bed....may seem like I worry too much but that’s what I asked and they seemed to abide by it.
Old 05-27-2021, 10:31 AM   #9
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
The only thing I would add to it is I would make sure they move your trailer to the SOLD section.. when I bought mine I had them move it immediately and I told them in a nice and respectful way that I didn’t want any salesman bringing a bunch of people into the rv and testing out the bed and stomping all through the place after I agreed to buy it. Sometimes yours might be the only model on the lot and you have a 300 lb man with cowboy boots on seeing if he can fit in the shower or kids jumping on the bed....may seem like I worry too much but that’s what I asked and they seemed to abide by it.

Good advice. I thought you were talking about me until you mentioned the cowboy boots. Just can't fit a 15 EEE boot and still work the accelerator and brake pedals.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 11:09 AM   #10
LHaven

No, that was probably me. And you can bet I need to test out the shower for fit.
Old 05-27-2021, 02:52 PM   #11
BubbaShoots

At the end of the month, the repair techs will be pulled from owner repairs and placed into PDI so sales can close by the end of the month.
WeighSafe True Tow WDH
SoftStart on both AC’s, 2 Honda 2200 generators connected in parallel
Retired, 1 wife, 2 dogs
BubbaShoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 04:21 AM   #12
NJ High Country

Follow-up

So when my wife and I originally spoke to our salesman, he said turnaround time was 2 weeks. Then signing the paperwork the finance guy said 2-3 weeks. I let two weeks go by, and called my salesman to check in. No answer. I called and left a voicemail message with the service manager. No answer. On Thursday I finally got in touch with my salesman, and he said the unit should be ready. He said he was going to the service department personally to check for me. He texted me the sales and service managers' email addresses and said try that, as they were not in that day. So Saturday I'm running a new 50A line to feed the new camper. My wife comes downstairs and says lets go for a ride! We drove 75 miles to the dealership. The sales manager is in his office on his computer. The service manager finally comes out to see us. He introduced himself and we shook hands. I know they have been busy bc there were 5 alpines on the lot, and only one remaining. They said they are prepping today so we'll see how it goes! I would have felt better if they just answered their phones or email to keep us in the loop.
Old 06-01-2021, 07:39 AM   #13
travelin texans

Not to poo poo your situation, but you said you've already signed all the paperwork? Good dealer or bad, essentially they've been paid so now there's no rush. Some of those other Alpines that were on the lot possibly weren't paid for ahead of their PDI inspection so got to go to the front of the line so they could get paid.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 07:52 AM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

Let's hope this is not an indication of how that dealership operates with customers "after the sale"... We've all heard, read on this forum and on many other forums about the "eager, helpful salesman who was really involved and is helping us so much", the service manager who smiled and promised us "priority service" if we buy from that dealership and the finance manager who told us "no problem, we can walk your credit application through with no issues and we'll make sure you have your registration in hand before your first planned trip".....

Then, after they cash your check, they forget who you are, give a "blank stare" when you remind them of those presale promises, blame it on the state when your title is lost and they can't find your license plate for the trailer and the salesman "moved to another dealership the day after you signed the paperwork".....

Hopefully, your experiences are "just coincidental".... but.......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 08:14 AM   #15
NJ High Country

We plan on doing most repairs ourselves. I don't want to end up leaving an RV at a dealership for months to collect dust. We've been researching/saving/planning this for 4 years. We'll see what happens!
Old 06-06-2021, 02:16 PM   #16
NJ High Country

Well we finally brought it home!

Truck towed great, and backing into my driveway wasn’t too bad. Three and a half weeks turnaround time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DA255910-3679-42E0-8465-4F055118D018.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	300.7 KB
ID:	33962   Click image for larger version

Name:	4814DAC5-7CDB-445D-8684-CD17B31FF4F6.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	211.9 KB
ID:	33963  
Old 06-06-2021, 03:17 PM   #17
sourdough
Site Team

That's a nice looking trailer! Congrats on getting it home....now the FUN (work) begins.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 03:27 PM   #18
chuckster57
Site Team

That is one beautiful rig!! Congrats.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 05:19 PM   #19
CedarCreekWoody

Looks great. Enjoy!
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote