Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Freeways & Byways
Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-05-2021, 01:51 PM   #1
Zenitrame

Exclamation I-40 East Detour Near Memphis

I-40 East Detour. Hello everyone. Just wanted to share a tip or two concerning the I-40 E detour just prior to getting to Memphis. We just drove through there (06/05/21). What a mess! Took us just over an hour to get through there via I-55 South. I suggest you gas up way before getting there. Yes, there are gas stations right at the detour but traffic is so bad you’re better off topping off before getting there. Also, don’t forget to go to the bathroom! You’re going to find several ramps with long lines of vehicles entering I-55 South. So traffic is stop and go, with mostly stop! I think we traveled 5 or 6 miles in that hour. Patience Patience PATIENCE!

If you do decide to use the I-55 South detour, keep in mind that the far left lane that normally continues onto I-40 East will be closed and all that traffic begins to merge to the right (center) lane. The center and far right lanes then continue to I-55 South. The right lane will then have traffic entering from the frontage road. Traffic begins to ease once you are over the river. Hope this info helps!
Milo
Zenitrame is offline   Reply With Quote