Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-01-2021, 11:53 AM   #1
Uchicj

15' RAPTOR - 1 BATTERY or 2 ??

Hello, New to Forum and the RV world. Purchased a 15' Raptor 412TS and only has 1 Battery but space for 3. Should 1 Battery have enough power to run the Auto-leveling system and or start the Generator? Have had to jump start the generator in order to hook-up and go. Stores at storage unit without access to power. I use the battery disconnect and now know that I should disconnect the (-) when in storage to avoid discharging but am considering a 2nd battery with a solar maintainer. Which is a whole other set of questions. Opinions appreciated.

15' Raptor 412TS
13' Ram 2500 Mega Cab Cummins
Uchicj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 01:07 PM   #2
Texas Steve

Welcome to the forum! As you may know just turning off the battery disconnect switch will not shut off everything in the trailer. There will still be parasitic drains on the battery from the smoke detector, CO2 detector, and even the radio. The only real way to stop all draws is either disconnect the negative terminal from the battery, or add a disconnect switch on the negative cable. You probably need to load test your battery at this point because of the repeated discharge. As far as how many batteries, that will depend on what type of camping you do. If you boondock, you will need more amp hours, but if you use full hookups, then 1 may do the job. If you need to replace the battery, just remember to get a true deep cycle, not a starter battery CCA (cold cranking amps).

That is a huge trailer for that 2500 Ram! Specs say it is 18K which puts the pin weight around 4100 pounds. You are likely severely overloaded on your truck as I dont think the payload on that truck is anywhere near that. I know my 2500 is not. Good luck!
Texas Steve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 01:51 PM   #3
travelin texans

I have to agree with Texas Steve on both subjects!
With all the 12 volt powered items onboard I'd definitely recommend at least 2 group 27 or 31 deep cycle batteries. I'd suspect the previous owner took the batteries out & replaced with 1 El cheapo cranking battery just to get it sold.
That's a lot of rv for a 3/4 ton truck of any brand!
Will that Cummins tow it? Absolutely with power to spare!
Can it safely "carry" that much pin weight along with everyone/everything else loaded in the truck? NOPE!
Check the payload from the yellow/white tag on the drivers door along with the other weights, post them on here for help or understanding.
DO NOT bother stating what the max tow rating for your truck is or the dry weight of that rv, both of those numbers are ABSOLUTELY useless when pairing trucks to RVs.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 03:08 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

JMO but no matter what kind of battery you choose get 2. My first couple of trailers had 1 (back in the early 80s) but found 2 was much better. Type/size depends on what you are going to be doing. With a Raptor you might want to boondock, if so get 6v golf cart batteries - they will hold their charge longer.

With it being a '15 unless I had some sort of proof on the age and condition of the existing battery I would replace it right now with whatever you choose.

And yes, that trailer is way too big for that truck.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 05:16 PM   #5
K_N_L

IF you're boondocking it, 1 battery will run out quickly with a large fridge and any other devices like the heater or fans running. If you just towing between campsites you'll likely be okay while connected to the truck for charging up. And get the dually, I know the 6.7 is a beast motor but you will be ahead legally and the towing confidence cant' be beat...

Kevin -n- Lisa
17 Fuzion 325 / 15 Chevy 3500 HC DRW
06 HD Ultra Classic
K_N_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 06:32 PM   #6
Big 417

Nope, get more. 2 6volts fit easy. 3 12 volts also. I built a custom battery mount along my frame for 2, 2 more in the factory spot. Running 4 6 volts. These trailers have so many things that need power. Lights every where, fans in fridges.....you name it.

I also can select between either bank or both.
Big 417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 04:25 AM   #7
notanlines

It would be my opinion that unless you are boondocking regularly, 2 6-volt batteries would be best. Only if you are serious boondocker would you want 3 or 4. You are adding more maintenance and weight and would be getting less for it. Not to mention your pin weight is about 2000 pounds in the red already.
Look for a dually! Dodge makes nice dually's also. You are in serious need of one.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, raptor