Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 05-15-2021, 05:25 PM   #21
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
Manufacturers instructions say to always begin the autolevel process with a nose high position, not level.
Can you provide a link? AFAIK, starting autolevel nose low only disables “hitch height” memory.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 05:45 PM   #22
CedarCreekWoody

Page 6 of the manual:

NOTE: In order for hitch recognition feature to function, the auto level sequence MUST be started with the front of the unit above level.

You may be right and only the hitch recognition is disabled.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 06:35 PM   #23
chuckster57
Site Team

LCI issued an instructional DVD with every unit that had GC 3.0 at the beginning. As part of my PDI, I used it to check the DVD player. Watched/listened to it more times than I ever wanted to LOL. In the video the narrator says if you start nose low, when you hit auto reconnect it will display “feature disabled”.

Try it and let me know please.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 05-16-2021, 03:42 AM   #24
Cougar 32

I manually bring the nose up with the tongue jack. Then hit auto hitch height. Does it really matter if you manually raise it or stand there and watch it go up on its own? What matters most to me is when I hit auto level, it does what it should.
Cougar 32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 07:53 AM   #25
Larrylane

I always make sure my RV is fairly level side to side before attempting to unhook. I try to keep the distance from the top of the ground/blocks to the jack pads fairly even before using the outlevel. In 5 years I only had one error and I assume it was because the RV was way out of level side to side.
Larrylane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 08:06 AM   #26
rlh1957

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb5717 View Post
So, I've read many threads on the various issues folks have re: their leveling systems. I'm not sure what to make of mine.

It err's out randomly and intermittently. It's never an out-of-stroke error. It can happen when I'm loading the trailer or unloading the trailer. I guess it's typically when I'm lowering the front jacks for either.

It will just say there was an error and I need to retract either:

• all the jacks
  • left rear jack
  • right rear jack
  • rear jacks

Any of these are a possibility. It will tell me to press and hold "Retract" to retract all jacks. If I do that it will stop and give the same error. If I try to retract just the rear jacks it will sometimes stop (not always) and then tell me to retract either the left or right rear jack, even after they are fully retracted. I've also tried to manually retract the rear jacks until fully seated but will still receive a rear jack error.

I will then just level it manually and leave it alone. After several days or a week I'll retract all jacks and it will reset and Auto Level will work again. Then when I'm back to loading or unloading the trailer it will err out again and I start all over.

I always plug into shore power before operating the jacks. I've got 3 emails into Lippert with no response.

Any thoughts?

I called the tech number from my campsite and the Lippert tech talked me through each step to resolve the error message and beeping. He spoke to me calmly as if he was a friend helping another and not a tech that I had imposed on.
As with many circuit board and electronics designs sometimes they experience random events... if it is recurring the next step is they replace faulty part.
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 08:17 AM   #27
JDDilly

The first time I used ours, I got an out of stroke error. I made 6 blocks, one for each jack, that are about 6" high. I put them under each jack and have not had and issue since.

Jim and Carole
Roseville, MN
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Diesel, Long Box, Air Lift Bags - 2023 Fuzion 421
JDDilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 05:40 PM   #28
Skillet92

I have a 19 Laredo 367bh. Mine did this a few times when I first bought the camper. It's not hard to reset but it's aggravating to keep having to do it. After playing with the system and reading time of information I found that mine was more of a voltage issue.

I have a friend that has Dakota batteries for his boat. Last winter when he was not using his boat I borrowed one of his batteries for multiple trips. Not a single issue. These batteries stay at 12.8 volts and have plenty of power when they are being demanded by the leveling system. They do not like to drop below their nominal voltage.

The 100amp hr deep cycle is expensive, 895, but in my opinion well worth it. I am deployed at the moment but will be ordering one when I get home in July.
Skillet92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 02:20 PM   #29
DDavis

I had a new issue with the Lippert ground Control 3.0 on my 2018 Cougar today that I was eventually able to resolve. When auto-leveling in the spot it usually sits in after some service the RF quit with error message "Out of Stroke". I knew it was not over extended as it had traveled the same distance as the LF. Several posts in various forums said to resolve this I needed to make sure all jacks were out 6+ inches and do an Auto Retract, which is not the Retract to Hitch Height that is part of the auto-level. The various manuals I found were not helpful in finding out how to do that, one said to press and hold the retract button but did not specify what mode it needed to be in and nothing seemed to do it.

After playing with it I found out that once in manual mode and having extended all jacks 6+ inches, if you press the down arrow you get a display saying "go to Menu" and if you press the down arrow again it says "auto retract", I hit enter with that and it sucked everything up.

As the LF hit the top of it's stroke it did a couple of clicks.

When I did Auto-Level this time it worked right, issue resolved.
Time will tell if that is going to work right. Up until this the system has worked flawlessly for 3 years.
DDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 05:20 PM   #30
rlh1957

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb5717 View Post
So, I've read many threads on the various issues folks have re: their leveling systems. I'm not sure what to make of mine.

It err's out randomly and intermittently. It's never an out-of-stroke error. It can happen when I'm loading the trailer or unloading the trailer. I guess it's typically when I'm lowering the front jacks for either.

It will just say there was an error and I need to retract either:

• all the jacks
  • left rear jack
  • right rear jack
  • rear jacks

Any of these are a possibility. It will tell me to press and hold "Retract" to retract all jacks. If I do that it will stop and give the same error. If I try to retract just the rear jacks it will sometimes stop (not always) and then tell me to retract either the left or right rear jack, even after they are fully retracted. I've also tried to manually retract the rear jacks until fully seated but will still receive a rear jack error.

I will then just level it manually and leave it alone. After several days or a week I'll retract all jacks and it will reset and Auto Level will work again. Then when I'm back to loading or unloading the trailer it will err out again and I start all over.

I always plug into shore power before operating the jacks. I've got 3 emails into Lippert with no response.

Any thoughts?
I called Lippert tech support on the road when we were in Arizona and they were very helpful and knew what to do.
My issue was about the same.
He had me do a retract all, extend and level.
I can’t remember the troubleshooting steps and order it was done. It solved the error code and beeping.
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 01:43 PM   #31
jsb5717

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but the saga continues. I've had to reset my leveling system multiple times since I first started this thread. This past week I got an "out of stroke" error...press Enter to confirm. I pressed enter. Now:

1. at a park last week, connected to shore power, I lowered the front jacks and disconnected the truck. In the process, the system stopped to give me more out of stroke errors. I eventually got the truck disconnected
2. I wanted to reset the system by extending all jacks at least 6 inches. I pressed and held the button for the rear jacks but nothing happened...no movement at all
3. I pressed Auto Level - that seemed to work normally but at the end...another out of stroke error although nothing is extended far enough to be out of stroke
4. I pressed and held the Retract All button to attempt to reset the system...nothing
5. I manually retracted the rear then the front. Now the trailer is sitting all the way down.
6. I pressed the button for the front jacks...the right side started lifting, the left side...nothing
7. With a bottle jack I lifted the left side a few inches to keep up with the right side. Pressed the front jack button again and now both jacks work.
8. I got the front jacks high enough to press Auto Level again, which worked again, but then Out of Stroke error again...it wasn't out of stroke. However, it was pretty level so left it alone for the few days we were at the park.
9. Time to leave. Rear jacks retracted just fine...however still won't extend with the button.
10. Again, the right front jack worked but not the left...had to jack it up again to get loaded on the truck.
11. At home both front jacks worked again, but still no rear jacks unless I press Auto Level

Synopsis:
1. All jacks work normally using Auto Level
2. Rear jacks won't extend using the Rear button
3. Front jacks work sometimes, but when they do they seem to really strain (no strain in Auto Level). Occasionally when lowering the front jacks the system just shuts off because it seems to be working so hard. A couple minutes later it will work again.
4. I am unable to do a Reset to clear the sporadic Out of Stroke error

So not sure what to make of it all. The system has gremlins and I can't seem to find anything wrong. The connections I can see are all secure. I'm not sure where the system is grounded to see if it's tight.

I will try to call Lippert tomorrow but thought I'd share in case someone has insight that will solve this. Thanks
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 01:55 PM   #32
Essvar

Shot in the dark, but I’d venture to guess the “brain” is bad. Let us know what tech support says “other than power cycle the system”

My system can’t seem to hold level in the cpu, I set it and it keeps going 10 degrees low in the front. Port and starboard level hold perfectly.
Essvar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 02:22 PM   #33
sourdough
Site Team

It sounds like a control unit problem to me. The straining when raising the front sounds odd but mine sounds that way too. I think it's because it has to raise so high to get on the hitch.

Mine has started acting up a little bit. Not much but a couple of times and I've been able to reset it by extending at least 6" and holding Retract All. Started after I left it at the dealership for some work. Errored out when I tried to put it on the truck. Brought SM over and asked him what was wrong, what they did and what we needed to do to fix it. He just started mashing the buttons, said it happens from time to time and eventually it started working.

As a note, I contacted Lippert after this started thinking if I had to replace the module I would go ahead and make it a 6 point system. They said it can be done and sent me the info for the required control module, wiring harnesses and jacks so there's that if it has ever crossed your mind.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 02:30 PM   #34
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
It sounds like a control unit problem to me. The straining when raising the front sounds odd but mine sounds that way too. I think it's because it has to raise so high to get on the hitch.

Mine has started acting up a little bit. Not much but a couple of times and I've been able to reset it by extending at least 6" and holding Retract All. Started after I left it at the dealership for some work. Errored out when I tried to put it on the truck. Brought SM over and asked him what was wrong, what they did and what we needed to do to fix it. He just started mashing the buttons, said it happens from time to time and eventually it started working.

As a note, I contacted Lippert after this started thinking if I had to replace the module I would go ahead and make it a 6 point system. They said it can be done and sent me the info for the required control module, wiring harnesses and jacks so there's that if it has ever crossed your mind.
Happens from time to time???

Sorry but I call BS.

OP, it does sound like a controller issue to me too.

Old 09-26-2021, 02:38 PM   #35
jsb5717

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Happens from time to time???

Sorry but I call BS.

OP, it does sound like a controller issue to me too.
Interesting - Happens from time to time has been the norm for me for the past couple years. So I gather that these should mostly just work as designed?

I wondered about the controller as well. We'll see what Lippert says.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 03:08 PM   #36
CedarCreekWoody

Just my thoughts, for what it's worth:

Out of stroke means out of sync, not maximum stroke reached.
Do you have the camper on your truck when you retract the jacks or letting it go to the ground? Should be on the truck.
Are you manually introducing an error by unplugging a cable, as instructed by the manual?

By doing the above I've had no problem re-homing my jacks when necessary
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 04:09 PM   #37
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
Just my thoughts, for what it's worth:

Out of stroke means out of sync, not maximum stroke reached.
Do you have the camper on your truck when you retract the jacks or letting it go to the ground? Should be on the truck.
Are you manually introducing an error by unplugging a cable, as instructed by the manual?

By doing the above I've had no problem re-homing my jacks when necessary
Out of stroke does mean it’s at the end of its extension and level hasn’t been achieved.

Old 09-26-2021, 04:26 PM   #38
Essvar

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Out of stroke does mean it’s at the end of its extension and level hasn’t been achieved.
Unless the control unit is not reading the correct extension /level, which seems to be the issue for the OP.
Essvar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 04:42 PM   #39
Canonman

Any thoughts about the remote rear level sensor??
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 04:44 PM   #40
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
Any thoughts about the remote rear level sensor??
I wouldn’t rule it out without at least looking at it.