Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 05-09-2021, 04:24 PM   #1
Laredo Tugger

"Boondocking is as full as campsites"

https://www.rvtravel.com/campground-crowding-999/

Found the above link an interesting read. Some items in the article have been discussed on this forum, overcrowding. new campers, reservation problems, loud dogs ect..
I guess the boom in RV sales is starting raise it's ugly head. If the "boondocks" are not the quiet places they used to be, then like the comic say's, "Here's your sign".
Did find it ironic the author opens the article with one of the very problems outlined by campground management, needing a campsite for a local funeral. I'm sure the authors request was legit. But.....
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 04:42 PM   #2
Canonman

Can't speak for everywhere, but around here folks are pretty respectful of another's space. Never had an issue with noise or lights but did have to ask one family if they could have the kids run their 4 wheelers somewhere else. After appropriate apologies, we didn't see the motorized nuisances the rest of the week. The whole idea of boondocking is separation, quiet and privacy. Folks we've met are looking for the same thing, so no conflicts so far
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MGL8241.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	315.5 KB
ID:	33459  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 05:06 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

In the "olden" days of my boondocking we went way up in the mountains. At the end of the road you could travel was a little circle before it turned into 4x4 "roads". Camped there for decades. Folks from all walks of life would show up there, BUT, nearly all were versed in boondocking/camping etiquette except....

One night we came in from muzzleloading hunting with no success. While out in the hills a very fancy RV had set up 20' from us and our tents (now remember this is in the boonies, huge...huge spaces to park/camp in and these folks chose to drop right beside us). Never happened before and they had zero, ZERO clue about camping etiquette, being nice etc. Let their dog out, yapping and yapping, came across and yapped right AT us. They came out and called it back and went back to making all their unwanted noise. Made our fire, cooked our steaks, had a few to celebrate an unsuccessful day.

It was time to hit the sack and they just wouldn't stop. We talked loud about bad neighbors - no luck. Decided we would "help" them find a way to shut it down. 4 of us with our 50/54 cals. that we discharged every night so we "kept our powder dry", lined up, said a few loud remarks they undoubtedly heard, said "fire in the hole" and fired away. The sound was large, the "oh s***t, what was that?" from the neighboring unit was there and then silence...blessed silence. Hit the sack in our tents, got up before daybreak to make breakfast and the city folks pulled out in the dark....a great day! And, 2 of us tagged that day!!!
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 03:29 AM   #4
CWtheMan

Below is a picture of one of the many boondocking sites found at/near Quartzsite, AZ.

There are no management controlled rules and regulations. Just find a site and park.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Yuma to Quartzsit - 4.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	653.2 KB
ID:	33532
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 05:47 AM   #5
Getn off

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
In the "olden" days of my boondocking we went way up in the mountains. At the end of the road you could travel was a little circle before it turned into 4x4 "roads". Camped there for decades. Folks from all walks of life would show up there, BUT, nearly all were versed in boondocking/camping etiquette except....

One night we came in from muzzleloading hunting with no success. While out in the hills a very fancy RV had set up 20' from us and our tents (now remember this is in the boonies, huge...huge spaces to park/camp in and these folks chose to drop right beside us). Never happened before and they had zero, ZERO clue about camping etiquette, being nice etc. Let their dog out, yapping and yapping, came across and yapped right AT us. They came out and called it back and went back to making all their unwanted noise. Made our fire, cooked our steaks, had a few to celebrate an unsuccessful day.

It was time to hit the sack and they just wouldn't stop. We talked loud about bad neighbors - no luck. Decided we would "help" them find a way to shut it down. 4 of us with our 50/54 cals. that we discharged every night so we "kept our powder dry", lined up, said a few loud remarks they undoubtedly heard, said "fire in the hole" and fired away. The sound was large, the "oh s***t, what was that?" from the neighboring unit was there and then silence...blessed silence. Hit the sack in our tents, got up before daybreak to make breakfast and the city folks pulled out in the dark....a great day! And, 2 of us tagged that day!!!
That may work back then, but I would be very hesitant to try that with people today. Like the saying goes, there is always someone else that has a bigger tool than you.
For example, if that happened to me where neighbors decided to make a point by shooting muskets, I would more than likely sound off a few of my Model 500 S&W (50 cal revolver.) or ARs.
Granted, most obnoxious city folk like that probably wouldn’t be packin much more than an extra safe space!
Troy
2018 F350 CC 6.7 PSD drw…Gone.
2021 F350 CC 6.7 PSD drw Platinum…Gone
Getn off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 08:46 AM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getn off View Post
That may work back then, but I would be very hesitant to try that with people today. Like the saying goes, there is always someone else that has a bigger tool than you.
For example, if that happened to me where neighbors decided to make a point by shooting muskets, I would more than likely sound off a few of my Model 500 S&W (50 cal revolver.) or ARs.
Granted, most obnoxious city folk like that probably wouldn’t be packin much more than an extra safe space!
Troy

Very few if any civilians owned ARs back then. Firearms allowed on a person or in a vehicle were limited during muzzleloader/bow seasons - and those weren't on it.

As far as going out and firing off some rounds too - go ahead. We had been around guns forever - rather hear that than yapping dogs and other unneeded noises in a wild location in a NF. Plus, I could shoot the black powder weapons all night at a few cents a shot (poured our own bullets). At $2-3 a round that 500 might get a bit expensive....and hard on the hand.

And you're right; this is a different world. Doubt we would (or anyone should) do that these days unless you took precautions...
Old 05-13-2021, 09:30 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Boondocking, to me, means camping in an area "not designated by concrete or well worn ruts"... In other words, someplace other than a "marked campsite"...

In Michigan and most places we've lived or travelled, boondocking is permitted on public land with some restrictions. Generally, in Michigan, boondocking is permitted anywhere outside a designated campground, provided it's further than 1 mile from any organized public camping area or a previous "dispersed camping spot". IMO, that rule is to prevent people from parking and camping on the apron just outside the fence of an established campground, should it be full with no open spaces...

Now, the "fine line" at least to me is "common sense and respect for other people"... It's something that's sadly lacking in the character of a growing part of the "adult" population" these days. If someone sets up a campsite "in the middle of nowhere" and a stranger happens by and decides to set up camp on the other side of an adjacent oak tree... Well, that's a violation of both "common sense" and "respect for others"...

Can someone "do something about that kind of trespassing" ? Some places, maybe, other places, no, you either endure it or pack up and leave... Sad commentary about the "me generation" (which has no age boundaries)...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 10:12 AM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

I think the societal changes, the "it's all about me"...."deal with it" generation(s) are exacerbated by the growth in the sheer number of folks wanting to get out in an RV. Unfortunately many of them are ones that want to escape the mess they've made wherever that may be and bring those same circumstances to the campground.
Old 05-13-2021, 11:52 AM   #9
Ken / Claudia

In the last 4 weeks we have traveled/camped/explored some areas within a few hours of home. Always during the week and few boondocking RVers seen. Campgrounds not full, 2 national forest campgrounds we checked had the same. One I counted 19 rv sites with 2 being used. But this it's not summer yet. So I cannot compare what that's going to be like.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 12:05 PM   #10
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
In the last 4 weeks we have traveled/camped/explored some areas within a few hours of home. Always during the week and few boondocking RVers seen. Campgrounds not full, 2 national forest campgrounds we checked had the same. One I counted 19 rv sites with 2 being used. But this it's not summer yet. So I cannot compare what that's going to be like.
Not really any boondocking opportunities around these parts but the campgrounds are usually available Monday thru Thursday.. except holidays..

Tags
boondocking