Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-11-2021, 09:33 AM   #1
linux3

Tested my furnace

We are getting ready for a long road trip.
I know to may of you it's late to be started but we had freezing temps last night.

Anyway, after getting grief on this forum I just tested my furnace. First time ever as we just use electric quartz heaters.

OK, it worked but the Atwood Hydro Frame thermostat is just the stupidest.
https://pantherrvproducts.com/32300/...hoCeiQQAvD_BwE
I can't set a temp, just move a lever on a slide with no real values.
Also the built in temp is unreadable. I looked at all angles and shined a light and still the red bar can't be seen.

Do I replace it with a better thermostat? We don't run the furnace anyway so I guess not. I think I will buy a better thermometer and call it a day.
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 10:31 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

You have the most simple thermostat, and as such just about fail safe. Since it’s only 2 wires as I recall, upgrading may not be that easy. Big box hardware stores will have nicer ones, but you have to remember yours is 12V.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 10:51 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Looking realistically, your trailer is a 2016 model and it's now 2021. I'd think that if, in the 5 or 6 years that you've owned the trailer, if "now is the first time" you've used the furnace and you have no plans to use it again, I wouldn't spend a lot of time, money or effort on a thermostat that's just going to collect more dust....

If you don't use the furnace, don't have any plans to use it, then why not just leave the "good enough for the amount we use it" (as long as it will still call for heat in an emergency (even with no means to control the temperature), then consider it "good enough for now" and if the next owner wants a better system, let them install it. Who knows, by the time you sell it (with a 10 year old "new, never used furnace") there may be better replacement thermostats on the market LOL

That said, you can buy a replacement for what you have on Amazon for around $25. But, the question remains "WHY" ????

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 11:26 AM   #4
linux3

Our style of travel is to have a vague goal in mind. When the wife is sick of travel or I'm sick of driving it's "Hey Google, campgrounds near me". I have a WiFi hotspot in my truck.

I'm kinda worried that one night full hook ups may be in short supply.
I replaced all the lights in our TT with LEDs and purchased a new and bigger battery.
I guess I'm getting ready to boondock if nothing else is open.

We are traveling from Western NY to Bryan TX so not a major tourist area but I like being ready.
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 02:00 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

If you're going to replace it, you can buy the same Atwood thermostat on Amazon for $21. https://www.amazon.com/Hydro-Flame-3...0770337&sr=8-1

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 02:30 PM   #6
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by linux3 View Post
We are getting ready for a long road trip.
I know to may of you it's late to be started but we had freezing temps last night.

Anyway, after getting grief on this forum I just tested my furnace. First time ever as we just use electric quartz heaters.

OK, it worked but the Atwood Hydro Frame thermostat is just the stupidest.
https://pantherrvproducts.com/32300/...hoCeiQQAvD_BwE
I can't set a temp, just move a lever on a slide with no real values.
Also the built in temp is unreadable. I looked at all angles and shined a light and still the red bar can't be seen.

Do I replace it with a better thermostat? We don't run the furnace anyway so I guess not. I think I will buy a better thermometer and call it a day.
The numbers on the thermostat on cheap thermostats really don’t mean a whole lot. And the indicator for actual temp is usually nothing more then a bimetallic spring. It’s not all that accurate. What your temp may show as 70 may very well be 72 or 68.
Just get any old thermometer and take a temp of the room at the thermostat location ...turn on the thermostat to heat and turn it up to 70 or wherever you like it normally for heat....when it shuts off (when you hear the gas burner shut off..the blower will continue to run for a min or two)check your little thermometer and see what the temp says...( that won’t be very accurate either) then just make.a little mark on the thermostat for reference. ..if you play around with it a couple of times you can get the setting that’s comfortable for you as that’s all that really matters...if you leave it set at whatever mark you make it should always keep it that temp... I have handheld didgitql thermometer that read air temp and you can get them on Amazon pretty cheap.
Or just replace with a digital thermostat but that may require battery’s or another wire pulled.
Old 05-11-2021, 06:54 PM   #7
Campermike

I put a household digital thermostat in my old popup. It only had 2 wires but worked fine. It does require batteries but they would last a whole season. But I used my heater often so it was worth it.
Campermike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace