Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-05-2023, 09:26 PM   #1
handycoordination

Broken License Plate Bracket

Hi! I just got an '06 Laredo 31RL a month or so ago and I finally got it registered. When I went to put on my new plates, I noticed one of the bracket tabs was broken I found a few threads talking about the replacement process for similar brackets to mine (here and here), but it seems like if the little plastic tabs keep breaking on folks then there's got to be a better option than just. Replacing it with the same brittle plastic.
I know I can get a third party bracket like in one of the threads I linked, but since it's brand new (to me) I'm hesitant to drill directly into the wall. Has anyone had any success with reinforcing the tabs with metal or anything? Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20230605_133526387.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	165.8 KB
ID:	44143  
handycoordination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 05:22 AM   #2
dutchmensport

The "other" thread probably covered the gauntlet of options for you. Of course, the easiest way to fix the problem is to simply get a new tail light and move on.

But, just to ease your anxiety, drilling a hole is no problem. Just drill the hole enough to make a hole and not go through to the inside of the camper. Install a new license plate bracket (Make sure the white light from the tail light still exposes the plate after dark) and then use putty around the screws so make the holes water tight. You'll be good to go.
Old 06-06-2023, 05:52 AM   #3
Kirk's Keystone Outback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by handycoordination View Post
Hi! I just got an '06 Laredo 31RL a month or so ago and I finally got it registered. When I went to put on my new plates, I noticed one of the bracket tabs was broken I found a few threads talking about the replacement process for similar brackets to mine (here and here), but it seems like if the little plastic tabs keep breaking on folks then there's got to be a better option than just. Replacing it with the same brittle plastic.
I know I can get a third party bracket like in one of the threads I linked, but since it's brand new (to me) I'm hesitant to drill directly into the wall. Has anyone had any success with reinforcing the tabs with metal or anything? Thanks
I found the whole light assembly cheap on Amazon and E-Trailer. There are exact replacements, and minimal skill level to replace. Need to reseal parameter of light if you do replace.
I actually replaced both sides with license plate mounts and installed a decorative plate opposite of my state plate.
Kirk's Keystone Outback. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 11:13 AM   #4
handycoordination

Ok thank you! I'll just replace it for now and figure out some way to reinforce the new one so it doesn't break too
Old 06-07-2023, 01:24 PM   #5
handycoordination

Actually, is there a real seal around the lens?

Would I just be able to create tabs out of sheet metal that screw into the two bottom light mounting screws and go between the lens and the mount to attach the license plate?
It doesn't look like the light actually seals but it seems like it'd have to to keep the bulbs alive?
Old 06-07-2023, 03:00 PM   #6
Kirk's Keystone Outback.

Quote:
Actually, is there a real seal around the lens?

Would I just be able to create tabs out of sheet metal that screw into the two bottom light mounting screws and go between the lens and the mount to attach the license plate?
It doesn't look like the light actually seals but it seems like it'd have to to keep the bulbs alive?
You should choose the method that best suits you, but drilling hole in your coach would be my 100th option.
There’s no gasket, just RTV silicone, and they leak if it’s done the way the factory does it, which is why the light bulb sockets corrode quickly. I sealed inside and the parameter after replacement.
Old 06-07-2023, 03:56 PM   #7
handycoordination

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk's Keystone Outback. View Post
You should choose the method that best suits you, but drilling hole in your coach would be my 100th option.
There’s no gasket, just RTV silicone, and they leak if it’s done the way the factory does it, which is why the light bulb sockets corrode quickly. I sealed inside and the parameter after replacement.

Ok, so sealing the lens itself is a good idea then, I'll try that when I go in there.
As for drilling new holes, I don't want to do that either. The idea I was thinking of would use the existing screws and holes that mount the light to also mount a stronger bracket. I've made a little drawing using someone else's image to better communicate what I'm getting at and am including a pic of something I threw together. I can just make little tabs that hang out the bottom I think?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20230607_215933291.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	44179  
Attached Images

Old 06-09-2023, 04:08 AM   #8
Kirk's Keystone Outback.

Talking

Quote:
Ok, so sealing the lens itself is a good idea then, I'll try that when I go in there.
As for drilling new holes, I don't want to do that either. The idea I was thinking of would use the existing screws and holes that mount the light to also mount a stronger bracket. I've made a little drawing using someone else's image to better communicate what I'm getting at and am including a pic of something I threw together. I can just make little tabs that hang out the bottom I think?
Not to be "too" sarcastic, but you must really like this light assembly. Because spending $15 on a replacement would've been my option of choice. Just my honest opinion.
Old 06-09-2023, 09:48 AM   #9
handycoordination

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk's Keystone Outback. View Post
Not to be "too" sarcastic, but you must really like this light assembly. Because spending $15 on a replacement would've been my option of choice. Just my honest opinion.
Lol yeah, replacing is definitely the better option but rn it's in storage so I can't level the sealant (no water). I figure if the metal tabs work well enough to get it from place A to place B then I can replace it later.
Old 06-09-2023, 09:56 AM   #10
Kirk's Keystone Outback.

Thumbs up

Quote:
Lol yeah, replacing is definitely the better option but rn it's in storage so I can't level the sealant (no water). I figure if the metal tabs work well enough to get it from place A to place B then I can replace it later.
Gotcha.
Old 06-15-2023, 12:13 PM   #11
Marblejunkie

Rather than replace the broken bracket from theft of the license plate, I now place the license plate in the rear facing widow above the kitchen sink showing the plate number. It was a clean break at the tail light so no issue with the cleanup.
Marblejunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 08:40 AM   #12
Salty25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marblejunkie View Post
Rather than replace the broken bracket from theft of the license plate, I now place the license plate in the rear facing widow above the kitchen sink showing the plate number. It was a clean break at the tail light so no issue with the cleanup.
Until you run across some bored trooper/ cop that will give you a ticket for display of plate for having it in the window.

USN (retired)
Retired Law Enforcement
Salty25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
laredo 31rl, repairs