Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 02-17-2020, 06:41 PM   #21
purebred

One last question Please

When checking the antenna cable to see if there is 12 volts present. Would anyone know what kind of antenna it actually is? I have looked high and low and my books or website doesn't say what kind of amplified antenna it is. Thanks
purebred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 07:00 PM   #22
chuckster57
Site Team

There are several different antennas, you probably have a wineguard 360 omnidirectional but that’s just a guess. If you have 12V at the coax coming from the roof antenna, then you might be able to just run it to the TV.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 07:06 PM   #23
purebred

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
There are several different antennas, you probably have a wineguard 360 omnidirectional but that’s just a guess. If you have 12V at the coax coming from the roof antenna, then you might be able to just run it to the TV.
Thanks Chuck but when I disconnect the antenna cable at box i have 12 volts at box but no voltage on antenna cable. Like the other Chuck said if I have 12 volt with cable hooked up to box I should have 12 volts on top of unit to antenna. I am going to assume I do have 12 volts to antenna because it has been working and I don't see how the cable could have become broke. Trailer hasn't been moved.
Old 02-17-2020, 07:28 PM   #24
chuckster57
Site Team

KeyTV modules are a known issue. Get the booster I linked to, hook it up and I bet you’ll have OTA reception.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 02-18-2020, 03:57 AM   #25
ChuckS

If you climb up on the roof you will be able to quickly identify your antenna make...it could be the King Jack or Omni 360....

But you have not verified yet..that I can tell..if you have 12 vdc present at the end of the coax up on roof that connects to the OTA..

Go up on roof, remove the OTA antenna head, remove feed coax coming from KeyTV box to OTA on the roof and measure center pin and shield to see if 12 volts is present

If not but you have 12 volts at center pin connector on the KeyTV box you have a coax connector or feed line issue

If you do have 12Vdc present the the antenna on the roof has a bad internal amplifier.... period...

You need to determine that 12:volts DC is traveling up the coax center conductor from the KeyTV box to the connection on the antenna on top of the roof..

Adding in a different style OTA power button will fix nothing if you have zero power up on the roof.

The older OTA antennas had a separate 12 vdc feed line from the antenna switch up to the outside antenna. Newer units are using the coax center conductor to “feed” 12 volts along the coax to the roof..

Just as a “power inserter” does for many portable satellite dish domes.

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 04:14 AM   #26
chunker

Hopefully this question won't be lost at the end of this thread but what is the advantage or advancement of Key TV? Is this someones technological advance to a problem that didn't exist? Another gee-whizz bling that fails to produce other than sell RVs? I have no knowledge of Key TV except what I read here and that bothers me because it appears to be a problematic system that I'll be battling. Since I'm not an electrical engineer, I have distrust and disdain for many of the latest "advancements". I can handle a mis-labels coax but a "box of many mysterious functions" that doesn't work or pass through signals gives me hives. Thanks, I'll finish my coffee now.
2019 Harley Davidson Heritage Classic 114 (the toy)
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 05:58 AM   #27
purebred

Absolutely correct

I totally agree. Thats why i have another question posted on here about bypassing the incomand sysytem. Sure wished I would have bought a unit now that had basic controls, switches, buttons etc instead of all this crap that they put on them. What a waste.
Old 02-18-2020, 12:26 PM   #28
ChuckS

The concept of the KeyTV system is quite sound. Some folks however have experienced failures with their KeyTV box

The idea is ..
.. no more power button t9 seek out and press in when you wanna watch OTA channels
.. dedicated coax lead to each separate TV set.. color coded
.. easy to connect cable and satellite dish systems
.. each coax lead is supposed to be RG6 Sat capable

It’s a good idea and when things work .. it’s nice.. I know of hundreds that are having no issues

The “Omni” directional antenna.. Whether it’s Furion, King, or Winegard leaves a bit to be desired when using in fringe areas. The gain of the antenna is Omni directional so you can’t null out interference and are relaying on the internal active amp in the antenna to do all the work.

Old 02-18-2020, 12:33 PM   #29
chuckster57
Site Team

Funny thing about the KeyTV box. I’ve had 3 fail during PDI in 90 days.

Old 02-18-2020, 01:53 PM   #30
chunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
The concept of the KeyTV system is quite sound. Some folks however have experienced failures with their KeyTV box

The idea is ..
.. no more power button t9 seek out and press in when you wanna watch OTA channels
.. dedicated coax lead to each separate TV set.. color coded
.. easy to connect cable and satellite dish systems
.. each coax lead is supposed to be RG6 Sat capable

It’s a good idea and when things work .. it’s nice.. I know of hundreds that are having no issues

The “Omni” directional antenna.. Whether it’s Furion, King, or Winegard leaves a bit to be desired when using in fringe areas. The gain of the antenna is Omni directional so you can’t null out interference and are relaying on the internal active amp in the antenna to do all the work.
It's one of those tech bling things that's the rage now. Frankly I never had a problem finding and pushing the power button for OTA. My GFs 2012 Crusader has color coded coax to the 3 TV positions and it's "old school". And RG6. I have the old crank up on the motorhome and on her Crusader and we can pull in an OTA signal when the modern ones can't. So much for advancement, but the omni ones look more aerodynamic. Consumer get to be the R&D for some of these ideas. When were were in AK we were one of the few who could pull in a signal in Seward. Most were newer and had that flying saucer on the roof. Bunch of people watching the Olympics at our place.

Hopefully I'll be one of the lucky ones and have a working system.
Old 02-18-2020, 06:18 PM   #31
KRumm

The problem I am having is I am in the market for a new Cougar 5th and it has a Furrion antenna that I think runs the antenna wire to the KeyTV receptacle in the wet bay... The antenna is a fugly cheap plastic monster that shades a huge piece of rooftop that could have been used to install solar panels (next to the solar prewired plug!) and my bet is it will last one low hanging tree... I researching the antenna it has a dizzying number of wires (going to upsale/useless router products) that must be dealt with if removed and replaced... basically making the whole antenna system a complicated mess to deal with... I would like to remove the Furrion and replace it with a relatively low profile basic dome Winegard Air 360...

Does anyone have a schematic or picture of the back of the powered KeyTV receptacle?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0E1A4ED5-52FE-403A-AF97-35DAEB31720E.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	25227   Click image for larger version

Name:	32693901-D501-447F-B499-42ECBD6AF019.jpeg
Views:	1278
Size:	278.8 KB
ID:	25228  
KRumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 06:42 PM   #32
chuckster57
Site Team

I can say the failure rate of the KeyTV modules seems small compared to the number of modules produced, but I can appreciate your frustration. I wouldn’t let the fact that your possible new unit has KeyTV be the only reason you decide not to buy.

Old 02-19-2020, 05:32 AM   #33
ChuckS

OP with a Furion antenna question about KeyTV...scroll thru the posts on this thread..you will see a pic of connections on KTV box...

Old 02-19-2020, 05:39 AM   #34
ChuckS

The problem out there right now is many RV repair shops..not all, don’t have a clue about RV-C protocol and can’t troubleshoot properly...

In Command is also a good idea with a central hub for all DC wiring points. But they could have also included more manual switches in case BCM failed or display commander failed..

Jayco has incorporated the Lippert One control system ...much like Keystones In Command. Both use RV-C protocol to control HVAC ,etc...

Just,like old aircraft I worked on with push pull rods, bell cranks, cables... Now all fly by wire.. there was a learning curve with that change too..

Old 02-19-2020, 06:01 AM   #35
chuckster57
Site Team

I’ll take one control over in command. At least for now, hopefully ASA can get all the kinks out. Can say in 6 years of dealing with one control, I’ve had extremely few issues/failures.

Old 02-19-2020, 06:27 AM   #36
purebred

That's what worries me.

That is what bothers me right now about our decision to go with a new Keystone Alpine. We did a lot of comparison shopping before buying our new Alpine. We did a pretty good pdi also when picking up. After living in it for 6 months we are finding plenty of shortcuts in the quality process of building it for sure. The small imperfections I can live with but the constant nagging feeling of all the wires, computer chips, controls is somewhat worrisome. I just hope my expectations of the electronics in our unit holds up and this Keytv problem is not the start of something we have nightmares over. Like they say hind site is 20 20.
Old 02-19-2020, 09:56 AM   #37
ChuckS

And I can’t understand why GM trucks are now going to have In Command built in to interface with In command equipped RVs... too much..

Old 02-19-2020, 09:59 AM   #38
ChuckS

I think you will find the Alpine overall will be a reliable unit for you. A few folks over on Montana site are experiencing similar issues with the KeyTV module.

It sounds like either an issue with circuit board or components on CB.. power to the module but no 12vdc out on OTA connection. Also saw one that can’t get any park cable TV stations. By passed KeyTV box and has TV stations over cable.

Old 02-20-2020, 08:26 PM   #39
Branky

Trouble with Cable

I have had nothing but trouble with the Cable system in my 2019 Cougar 30RLS. And it DOES NOT have the KeyTV system. The dealer has replaced the booster 3 times, and at least 3 splitters. And I still could not get OTA or decent park cable in the living room.
At my request the dealer ran a Separate, Dedicated cable run from the wet bay to the living room. Now we can get TV from the park cable system. We don't want a TV in the bedroom or outside BUT you never know right?
What I am going to do is install a powered Distribution Amp with 4 outputs.
I will put in a Coax switch to feed the Distribution Amp from the park cable OR the OTA antenna. Then a direct, dedicated cable run to each outlet. Goodbye hidden, el cheapo splitters hidden in the walls. Much like the KeyTV but not.
I got this idea from these or the Montana forums.

My $0.02 CAD worth.
Victoria, BC, Canada
Proudly Rving since 1978
Branky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 04:47 AM   #40
chunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Branky View Post
I have had nothing but trouble with the Cable system in my 2019 Cougar 30RLS. And it DOES NOT have the KeyTV system. The dealer has replaced the booster 3 times, and at least 3 splitters. And I still could not get OTA or decent park cable in the living room.
At my request the dealer ran a Separate, Dedicated cable run from the wet bay to the living room. Now we can get TV from the park cable system. We don't want a TV in the bedroom or outside BUT you never know right?
What I am going to do is install a powered Distribution Amp with 4 outputs.
I will put in a Coax switch to feed the Distribution Amp from the park cable OR the OTA antenna. Then a direct, dedicated cable run to each outlet. Goodbye hidden, el cheapo splitters hidden in the walls. Much like the KeyTV but not.
I got this idea from these or the Montana forums.

My $0.02 CAD worth.
My era of motorhome, Winnebago/Itasca installed what is called the BOMB, box of many buttons. It's the central feed and distribution for various video signals. on the back feeds from OTA, cable satellite, and other are attached, coax. OUT the back the various coax go to various locations, LR, BR, outside. On the front is a series of buttons to select where you want what signal to go. For the main TV, there is "ANT" which also turns on the booster, SAT, CABLE, and an AUX as I recall. Same for bedroom.

Unfortunately the PO did some component changes and it took a while to figure it all out but I only get SAT to the main TV. That's really OK for us as we never watch outside and rarely in bed. To complicate matters more, there are surround sound speakers in the coach for the dash radio. A dash switch will also use those speakers for the video components, if I remember to switch it.

After all that now I get to learn the "Key TV". ARGH Thank goodness TV isn't a central interest of mine.

Tags
mod