Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-15-2020, 04:16 AM   #1
chunker

Full Body Paint and waxing

This is not a question whether I should or what to use, it's WHEN should it be waxed. Or rather how long should I wait before waxing? Back in the day of acrylic lacquer it was necessary to wait a while, don't remember how long, before putting any wax or sealants on to let the paint "cure" first. I'm not familiar with the current water based paint systems or any particular restrictions. Reference cars, generally they still have considerable time between paint and arriving the dealer to be sold. Since the RV is painted near the last of the building process, that time could be short for it to go back for final assembly, final factory PDI and delivery. Does Keystone have any guidance on this?
2019 Harley Davidson Heritage Classic 114 (the toy)
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 04:36 AM   #2
Weekender 1
Gone Traveling

You can wax it anytime.
Actually dealers are selling the ceramic coatings on RV's, Boats and Cars before customer pickups.
I did mine with a new synthetic was from Meguires and soon as it was delivered. Its not like the old lacquers and enamels that needed to cure.
Weekender 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 04:48 AM   #3
chunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekender 1 View Post
You can wax it anytime.
Actually dealers are selling the ceramic coatings on RV's, Boats and Cars before customer pickups.
I did mine with a new synthetic was from Meguires and soon as it was delivered. Its not like the old lacquers and enamels that needed to cure.
Thanks I figured that might be the case but wasn't sure. The part about dealers selling and putting on ceramic coatings/sealants, I'm not sure some really care whether it's too soon or not. Usually it's the finance guy pushing these things and those are high profit items so they push them.

Do you have a reference to an article about newer better paint coating/sealants? I've used Meguires cleaner wax on my vehicles as it does a good job of removing tree sap discoloration and water spotting.
Old 02-15-2020, 05:01 AM   #4
Weekender 1
Gone Traveling

No I don't have a article, but would suggest for peace of mine search it out on the net.

Most paints today are base and clear and dont require much more than 48 hours to setup. Myths still abound today that say, 15 days all the way up to 90 days. I would believe that time has passed unless it was freshly ordered and delivered pronto, but even then the 15 days has passed.

http://bestride.com/research/tips-an...ly-painted-car

https://garage.eastwood.com/eastwood...esh-paint-job/

OK, I lied, I searched in another window as I typed this!

There should be a production date in the vin plate.
Old 02-15-2020, 05:16 AM   #5
chunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekender 1 View Post
No I don't have a article, but would suggest for peace of mine search it out on the net.

Most paints today are base and clear and dont require much more than 48 hours to setup. Myths still abound today that say, 15 days all the way up to 90 days. I would believe that time has passed unless it was freshly ordered and delivered pronto, but even then the 15 days has passed.

http://bestride.com/research/tips-an...ly-painted-car

https://garage.eastwood.com/eastwood...esh-paint-job/

OK, I lied, I searched in another window as I typed this!

There should be a production date in the vin plate.
I looked at those articles and they seem to contradict themselves. On one hand they say washing and waxing as soon as it can be wet sanded, basically overnight with air drying. The the one article talks about 30-60 days for curing.

So I figure that the trailer will be 1-2 weeks in Indiana finishing the install before being transported to LA, Lower Alabama. Then the dealer will have it a week or two to PDI and install my steps and slide awnings. So I figure it's a month or so before I get my hands on it and get around to waxing. I need to research the ceramic coatings to decide it I want that. One new car I bought I let them talk me into it and I couldn't tell a few months later if it had any paint treatment at all.
Old 02-15-2020, 05:24 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

The production date is the day the trailer is completed and leaves the assembly line. The VIN/information decals are among the last things "installed" on the finished trailer.

The "full body paint" is not applied to the finished trailer, rather each component is "painted before assembly". The front caps are painted by the cap manufacturer, the sidewalls are painted in the assembly area, then moved to the assembly line for installation on the trailer. Some of the decals are applied in the paint area, some (that need to be matched around corners) are applied with jigs, some on the assembly line, some before they leave the paint area.

Paint date could be a month before trailer assembly or it could be the day before trailer assembly, depending on production schedules at the factory.

It's definitely not done after the trailer is assembled, just the masking, painting and unmasking would be cost prohibitive for such a process. Imagine all the overspray on windows, at decal edges, on steps, molding that's contrasting colors, the pinbox, frame, tires, wheels, door handles, the list goes on and on....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 05:33 AM   #7
chunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
The production date is the day the trailer is completed and leaves the assembly line. The VIN/information decals are among the last things "installed" on the finished trailer.

The "full body paint" is not applied to the finished trailer, rather each component is "painted before assembly". The front caps are painted by the cap manufacturer, the sidewalls are painted in the assembly area, then moved to the assembly line for installation on the trailer. Some of the decals are applied in the paint area, some (that need to be matched around corners) are applied with jigs, some on the assembly line, some before they leave the paint area.

Paint date could be a month before trailer assembly or it could be the day before trailer assembly, depending on production schedules at the factory.

It's definitely not done after the trailer is assembled, just the masking, painting and unmasking would be cost prohibitive for such a process. Imagine all the overspray on windows, at decal edges, on steps, molding that's contrasting colors, the pinbox, frame, tires, wheels, door handles, the list goes on and on....
I was told that the trailer is built minus things like awning and such and sent to off site location paint shops. After painting the trailer goes back to the factory for final assembly of those items. Some installed items, lights, etc. are masked off thus the masking lines seen in some areas. Again this is what I was told at 2 dealerships and about 2 different manufacturers, Keystone and Grand Design. Same off location happens at Tiffin for their motorhome and the VanLeigh trailers. Keystone is bigger than the other 2 I mentioned so maybe they have their own in-house facilities.

Even though the front cap arrives already painted, for the FBP versions it's different from the non FBP one and has the FBP accent colors on it.
Old 02-15-2020, 08:18 AM   #8
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post

When we toured the factory for our Redwood there were about 20 completely assembled units all in what appeared to be a whitish gray primer waiting to be taken to the painter.
All were taken to one local paint shop, Precision Paint, that did all of the RVs from the area with full body paint, towables & motorhomes, none where painted at the factory where assembled.
If you'll notice all hardware & even the screw cover plastic trim is painted to match all the paint lines, that would be very difficult to do separately.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 08:49 AM   #9
Weekender 1
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker View Post
I looked at those articles and they seem to contradict themselves. On one hand they say washing and waxing as soon as it can be wet sanded, basically overnight with air drying. The the one article talks about 30-60 days for curing.

So I figure that the trailer will be 1-2 weeks in Indiana finishing the install before being transported to LA, Lower Alabama. Then the dealer will have it a week or two to PDI and install my steps and slide awnings. So I figure it's a month or so before I get my hands on it and get around to waxing. I need to research the ceramic coatings to decide it I want that. One new car I bought I let them talk me into it and I couldn't tell a few months later if it had any paint treatment at all.

And easy guys, I didnt state manufacture date was paint date, just pointing that by the time he gets it more than enough time will pass for any new paint to setup and cure! All new paints, single or dual stage 24-48 hrs before decals etc can be applied.

Yes that's why I added both.
Because the net is the net and profits are to be made, you'll always find it this way. Even this forum behaves this way.
You can wax it when it gets home, it'll be old enough and cured by then.

Ceramic, no, to me not worth the ??? 1000+ for a RV!!

Not really any good DIY kits.
Doesn't last the 5 years some claim.
My truck Meguires Syntheic 2.0, wife cars b*tched and got ceramic for $400.
One year later, neither one is better than the others, but mine costed $20 and I can do it a few more times.

Tags
paint