Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 02-14-2020, 09:09 AM   #1
Craigcounty

Dometic DFMD 35121

RV is a 2019 Fuzion 373
I am having issues with a DFMD35121. The blower will kick on and the burner will light, it will then run for a few seconds or sometimes a few minutes and then shuts down. It seems to have low exhaust pressure when running as compared to previous RV's I have owned. I did notice what I think are install issues with mine and am wondering if contributing to the trouble
1. Install manual says to have furnace tight against wall, it is spaced a half inch away.
2. Supposed to have 3 or 4 four inch ducts, keystone installed 1 four inch and 2 two inch.

Could the furnace have restricted airflow and is shutting down?
Craigcounty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 10:10 AM   #2
GeekSquadOfUn

I have the same Dometic furnace.

Looks like a sail switch issue. Very common these days, they have slightly altered the design on a new switch.

Essentially it is a switch that closes when the proper airspeed is achieved, when not working properly it shuts the circuit down.

Could be something else, but....
GeekSquadOfUn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 11:15 AM   #3
Aireman

I agree with Geek. Just had my sail switch changed out after having the same problem as you did. Exact same model too. Took the techs about half an hour to fix. Runs great now.
Aireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 12:49 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

If the sail switch is faulty the furnace won’t light.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 01:02 PM   #5
ChuckS

I’d have a look see at the various ducts coming off the furnace and insect for kinks, etc. if air flow is impeded too much it will cause the Hi limit switch to open thus killing furnace operation. I doubt sail switch has anything tondo with this issue.

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 01:06 PM   #6
Craigcounty

Thanks a lot for the input everyone. I plan on digging into it tomorrow and I will report back what I find.
Old 02-18-2020, 12:33 PM   #7
Craigcounty

It was the sail switch. Tonies RV in Salem VA fixed me up in one day! Thanks Tonies!
Old 02-18-2020, 12:48 PM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigcounty View Post
It was the sail switch. Tonies RV in Salem VA fixed me up in one day! Thanks Tonies!
Good deal! It must have been intermittent.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 02-18-2020, 04:57 PM   #9
Craigcounty

I spoke to soon. Tonies said it had the steel sail switch so they replaced it with an aluminum one and bench tested it. Said it ran and ran without issue. I brought it home and reinstalled it and it ran for a couple minutes and then died. I restarted it and it died, I did this three or four times and it dies every dang time. The burner is lighting and it heats up before it dies. Tonies said if it dies after reinstallation it might be the thermostat. It has the In Command system with the thermostat built into it, could it be the in command controller? I was trying to avoid taking the whole rv in because we use it a couple weekends a month going racing and i didnt want to be without it for weeks on end.
Old 02-18-2020, 05:53 PM   #10
chuckster57
Site Team

Can you access the limit switch? When they bench tested it, there would be about zero resistance and all the airflow would allow the limit switch to stay cool enough. I wonder if the limit switch isn’t overheating and doing what’s it made to do.

Old 02-18-2020, 06:08 PM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

If it is firing up, heating for a while then shutting down only to reignite then shut down again.....look into the limit switch/airflow. Just went through a similar situation and it was a minor blockage of the exhaust (an insect screen). Your furnace has to have free airflow in and airflow out or the heat inside the furnace builds and activates the limit switch to keep it from getting too hot.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 04:41 AM   #12
Craigcounty

Thanks again for the input, I solved it at 10pm est last night. It was the 15A black fuse! I swapped it with a standard 15A and it fired up and stayed running. The black 15A is supposedly re-setable, must be weak. Kinda feel like a dumba** for not snapping to it earlier.
Old 12-25-2020, 05:58 AM   #13
KDCURTSINGER

I know I'm late to the game. When you say black 15 amp fuse that is reset able. Do you mean the reset button on top of the furnace? I'm having the same problem where the heater will reach the desired temperature but won't come back on unless thermostat is reset. New dinosaur board,sail switch, limit switch, and thermostat and problem came back.
KDCURTSINGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 06:21 AM   #14
Mmeyer

The black fuse he is talking about is in the fuse panel It’s reset able. I had the same problem with mine and changed out the fuse and no problems since the parts guy told me this is a common problem.
Reese goose box
Mmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 05:51 AM   #15
TomTerrific

Thumbs up Yep... its the black resetable fuse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigcounty View Post
Thanks again for the input, I solved it at 10pm est last night. It was the 15A black fuse! I swapped it with a standard 15A and it fired up and stayed running. The black 15A is supposedly re-setable, must be weak. Kinda feel like a dumba** for not snapping to it earlier.

It's the black resettable fuse!

As an electronics, mechanically inclined engineer. I spent 2 days, emptying my storage, taking down the wall, bleeding propane, removing the heater multiple times, testing the sail switch NO. (Normally open)
Testing the limit switch NC (Normally closed)
At wits end, I was ready to start ordering expensive parts when my wife found your post.

The boys at Keystone actually caused a new problem trying to solve a different one.

Evidently, the Dometic DFMD35121 pulls very close to the 12 v. 15 amp limit.
So surge current could possibly blow a quick blow fuse. (If this occurs on yours, try a slo-blow fuse) So Keystone adds a BLACK resettable fuse that increases resistance (lowering current). This is actually a poor application of the fuse in a 12 volt system because it drops more voltage.

Here's EXACTLY what is happening:

1. 12v blower turns on drawing current.
2. BLACK fuse heats up adding resistance to the blower circuit.
3. Black fuse drops voltage reducing voltage to the blower motor.
4. 12 v blower slows down.
5. Either (due to low air flow) tripping the sail switch or more likely overheating entire system and triggering the limit switch, the circuit board shuts down the system.
6. Error flashes 1 blink every 3 seconds indicating low air flow.

Replace the 15 amp BLACK fuse with a 15 amp quick blow fuse.
TomTerrific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 01:43 PM   #16
jjlaroch

Thanks Tom, I just replaced the 15 amp black with a 15 amp quick blow (Blue) fuse. We'll find out tonight if that's the problem. I have a 2021 Cougar 368MBI with the same heater. This is one of the main reasons we stayed with Keystone. The knowledge and willingness to share is great.

"Gonna be retired again and living the good life with my dear wife of 42 years."
jjlaroch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dometic