Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 01-01-2020, 02:03 PM   #1
rudyunknown

Holmans RV, Passport 239ml buy

Hi All

This is my first post on this site, I have had a Rpod 171 for the last 8 years and now with 2 kids 8 and 5, the Rpod was getting smaller every year. I did not want anything that was huge but had the room for my nieces to join us for camping. Plus I ride offroad motorcycle, so from time to time we can boondock on it too.

Tow vehicle is 2008 Toyota Tundra with towing at arnd 10,000+ and the truck has a bigger cooler for the transmission. I will also add a weight distribution hitch just to be on the safe side.

Here are my questions though, I live in the suburbs of Philly and all the local dealers near me cant even get close to what Holman's is offering for the price. There are two models for the 239ml one is the 2020 early and 2020 mid year model, that has the walk on roof and the rear door near the bunk. Unfortunately Holmans doesn't have the later one in stock, but the price is so good on the early 2020 model that I am ready to travel.

I went thru a lot of the threads on the forum about warranty work needed in the first year and so on. I had bought the rpod second hand and he had it delivered to him too, nothing major went wrong with the camper other than regular water fittings getting loose and maybe tuning needed for the AC. That said, how much of a risk is it to worry abt the warranty if I getting the camper at almost $4-5K less than what the local dealers are selling me.

Is there anything that can cost me as much in warranty in case things go south. Also I read some reviews of Holmans RV on this forum, most of them seem to be on the +ve side. I had a chat with Ryan in sales, he even gave me an extra $300 off for travelling. They have 3 units available in stock.

I am all ears for good and bad reviews of Holman's and also if its a good idea to travel 8 hours to get a trailer. Also want to know how the overall build quality of these campers are?

Thanks
Rudy
rudyunknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 03:12 PM   #2
Gobirds38

I recently have purchased a Keystone from Holman and couldn't be happier with them. They were very friendly and helpful. The walk thru was very in depth on everything on the TT. So far no issues...

I would recommend them to anyone. They gave me a great price also.

2020 Keystone Passport GT 2521RL 30 FT.
Blue Ox Sway Pro WDH 1000 LBS Bars.
2016 GMC Sierra SLE 1500 4X4 All Terrain V8 5.3
Gobirds38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 06:45 AM   #3
Buckeyexx

Holman is where I purchased my 2017 239ml from.

They were awesome to deal with from the sales side of things. Prices are hard to beat because they sell at wholesale cost. I would definitely recommend them to anyone and would go back again.

The service department isn’t the friendliest but luckily haven’t had to use them but one time and it was for the outdoor kitchen faucet quick connect. But as long as they fixed my problem I can deal with that.

I bought the extended 5 year warranty with mine and so far it’s been a pretty solid camper. Knock on wood.

I’m jealous of that back door and the flip up bottom bunk area. That’s pretty awesome idea if you ask me. It would be nice to have that for more storage since I rarely use both bunks. They have made some nice upgrades since I bought mine but I still really like it.

Good luck with you search and I don’t think you will be disappointed with Holman if you choose to use them.
Buckeyexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 06:53 AM   #4
rudyunknown

Unfortunately the hatch in the back is a late 2020 model and they dont have that one on site yet. I am guessing they are blowing out the older 2020 models.

However i think the walk on roof is much better add on to the 239ml than the hatch. I would take a hatch any day of the week but that walk on roof is what we all need on our campers. That said, i have been on top of my Rpod working on the AC unit and just have to be careful and spread the weight.

So far i am happy that there have been +ve reviews on both the camper and the dealership. I still need to find out that n case of warranty whom can i reach out to in Philly. Are there independent service centers that are not aligned to dealerships?
Old 01-02-2020, 06:58 AM   #5
Gobirds38

Here is a link that might help.

https://www.keystonerv.com/find-a-dealer/

2020 Keystone Passport GT 2521RL 30 FT.
Blue Ox Sway Pro WDH 1000 LBS Bars.
2016 GMC Sierra SLE 1500 4X4 All Terrain V8 5.3
Gobirds38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 07:13 AM   #6
rudyunknown

I went on that website to find out who the closest dealers were. I went to one near me in NJ, and when they couldnt sell me the 239ml, they went ahead and said we cant service it here if u bring it over. Our techs are super busy. And he did mention that they were paid $11 an hour way more than techs in Ohio, as if to let me know that they are better.

its warrenty work, Keystone is paying them the money for it, not sure why they are so sour about it. Maybe the warranty work pays for way less than actual service work?
Old 01-02-2020, 07:25 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyunknown View Post
I went on that website to find out who the closest dealers were. I went to one near me in NJ, and when they couldnt sell me the 239ml, they went ahead and said we cant service it here if u bring it over. Our techs are super busy. And he did mention that they were paid $11 an hour way more than techs in Ohio, as if to let me know that they are better.

its warrenty work, Keystone is paying them the money for it, not sure why they are so sour about it. Maybe the warranty work pays for way less than actual service work?
Typically, Keystone pays less for warranty repairs than it costs the dealer to do the work. In other words, warranty work costs the dealer since he doesn't make any money on doing it. When selling a trailer, that can be factored into the selling price (yes, you pay for the warranty repairs up front). If you buy from a "distant dealer", they can sell the trailer for less because they know you won't be towing it back for repairs under warranty.

Often, local dealers can't/won't compete with the pricing at volume, out of area dealers. So, they simply "put their paying customers first" when it comes to who gets scheduled for warranty repairs.

Don't confuse the warranty terms on an automobile with the terms on an RV. They aren't handled the same, they aren't scheduled the same and they aren't reimbursed by the manufacturer the same.... They are two different concepts that "sound alike but are significantly different".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 07:45 AM   #8
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyunknown View Post

Lots of posts on the Forum discussing this issue. They are there to help educate folks to what is going and to guide them. We all wish it wasn't this way, but it is. Find a local independent tech who will do warranty work.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 06:24 PM   #9
Frank G

Rudy, how good are you at making your own repairs? If you can handle the repair work yourself then buying on price should work out for you. If it is major, then haul it back to Holman RV. Most repairs are minor and can be fixed in the driveway. Holman RV is a straight shooter no funny business, typical with all closers they will offer coatings and extended warrantees, your choice, be ready. Do a good PDI look at everything and run, open / close everything. We bought sight unseen and had options added. Very satisfied with the unit and dealer.

If you don't buy the closers add on's and with the Holman discount you should be about 6 to 7k ahead. This will cover a lot of repairs that more than likely will never happen. If you finance that money it is crazier yet.

Good Luck
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 06:56 PM   #10
bsmith0404

There is more to consider than just warranty repairs. How long will you keep the RV? If you have if after the warranty runs out and need repairs, how much will you pay. Many shops have internal customer prices and external prices. Sometimes the difference can be very significant $50 per hour or more. And yes, when you’re not an I tee all customer, you do go to the back of the line as dealers will give priority to their customers. Of course, with RVs, everyone uses them during the same part of the year and everyone needs repairs at the same time. If you feel comfortable doing your own repairs or have a good mobile or local repair shop you trust, then this may not be much of an issue.

Also, when it comes to warranty repairs, the process is typically 1) take it to the shop, 2) they diagnose the problem and submit a warranty repair request, 3) get warranty repair approval, 4) order parts and wait, 5) compete repair. Many times this can take 1-2 weeks or more to complete. That means two round trips, one to drop off and one to pick up. With all of that in mind, you need to decide how much of a savings is worth traveling out of town vs staying local. Additionally, make sure you are apples to apples on the build options.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 07:09 AM   #11
rudyunknown

I am handy at making fixes to the RV, youtube has a video of everything, and if patiently done, most of the time when i fix, i over engineer the fix.

I am saving on average arnd 6K for the camper when brought locally, I also found out a good RV store that is not a dealer for RV, they do offer warranty work for a bunch of other brands but not Keystone.

For all fair comparison, i am getting a new 2020 unit instead of me almost buying a 2018 model for the same price. Just that, after doing more review (paralysis by analysis) on this forum, I am looking at this warranty deal a bit more. Seems like if i get a lemon i would need the warranty, if not then its a peace of mind thing.

I have also trying to find a list of proactive stuff that i might do to the RV once i have it. But for now i just wanted to make sure, i get a good walk thru when picking up the camper. Me driving in cold maybe wet conditions 500 miles to pick up the camper, and the only reason is the 2 hour walk thru and me twisting everything in the camper.

What i would really love to know is if there is someone close to the Holmans RV, and would take a walk thru on my behalf, not a detailed but one to make sure everything is good to go before i embark on an 8 hour trip.

Thanks
Rudy
Old 01-03-2020, 07:19 AM   #12
roadglide

I have Coach net one more year left. My experience coach net is worthless if you own trailer. Coach net is telling the warranty only covers mechanical parts Motors gears. Coach net requires take your RV to the selling franchise up to a hundred miles . If your dealer is a dive that can make things worse . These RVs are really not extremely hard to work on speaking about non in command system. I am lucky that I have something simple and can repair maintenance issues. My advice would be to save your money fix any issues you have with the RV yourself.
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 07:49 AM   #13
chuckster57
Site Team

Pretty much all extended warranty companies only cover “component failure”, meaning the A/C unit or the furnace or Refer. I have yet to see an extended warranty cover anything considered “cosmetic” or something spelled out in the owner’s manual as “routine maintenance”, including roof leaks because the dicor seperated. I find lots of customers are either mis led or have a mis conception of extended warranties. I had easy care and at 4 3/4 years it cost me only my $100 deductible to replace my roof AC.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 08:20 AM   #14
wiredgeorge

I own a 2002 Cougar. I do all the work on it myself. I don't care about warranties which are there to make buyer feel better and seem to never amount to much use. When I hear a person come onto the forum and complain about a dripping pex fitting or loose trim and then complain more when a dealer's shop has his camper for months I wonder why bother taking it to a dealer. Now if I had to have a slide adjusted or that level of repair, perhaps I would drag my camper over to Wagner's RV in Castroville and let them take it on. They charge about 1/3 per hour of a dealer and have an outstanding tech. Saving $6000 will sure buy you a lot of time in an independent shop and if a BIG item goes, slide, refrigerator, etc. you do get a warranty from Keystone that would justify dragging the camper back through the ice and snow to the seller's shop.

Look in the yellow pages for a local certified RV tech who is willing to be paid to do a comprehensive PDI before you sign for or fetch the trailer.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 09:09 AM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

Additionally, ALL of the components installed in your trailer will be covered by the manufacturer's warranty (not Keystone's warranty). The refrigerator, furnace, air conditioner, water pump, stereo, TV, axles, slide motor mechanism, tires, brakes, leveling system, propane regulator, vent fans, furniture, vinyl flooring, carpet, etc.... They ALL are covered by their manufacturer, (again, NOT Keystone)....

If anything happens, most manufacturers have a list of "independent and approved repair centers" that you can contact to repair that item "under manufacturer's warranty".

ALL of this is "outside the Keystone warranty" and if you read the Keystone Owner's Manual, it specifically states that Keystone DOES NOT warrant those items, but during the "Keystone warranty" they act as the intermediary (process the warranty on that item) for you.... After the Keystone warranty (1 year) then it's up to you or the repair facility (dealer or independent repair center) to process any remaining "item warranty"....

In reality, unless there's a "chassis/frame/cosmetic" warranty issue, Keystone isn't going to do anything but "push paper" to get reimbursed after paying the dealer to repair the item. You can essentially "do the same paper pushing" by using an independent repair center and processing your own paperwork.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 01-03-2020, 09:17 AM   #16
rudyunknown

Got it thanks for the detailed info. Makes me feel better. I personally feel that working on minor items is not big deal, takes a lot of cussing and then bucket loads of patience.

Thanks for the suggestion of having a local RV tech go thru the PDI, either with me or before i have the delivery.

So there is another thing now, if the 3rd Party RV tech can do the PDI for me, maybe then i can avoid the whole trip, or do you guys suggest me to still go ahead and make the trip. Which i do not mind, but making a trip with 2 kids and the wife is not going to be super easy but doable.
Old 01-03-2020, 09:39 AM   #17
bsmith0404

I can answer that question with one word, GO!
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 09:47 AM   #18
JRTJH
Site Team

I'll add "several more words":

NEVER sign a contract without knowing what you're getting.... Why in the world would anyone "trust an unknown person" to make decisions affecting a significant purchase???? Just because you're paying him to "do the job for you" ??? Remember, you're also "paying the dealership" to do the PDI for you and to deliver a quality product, just as you're paying Keystone to build a trouble free trailer.....

In a nutshell, you're suggesting that you "involve another paid person" to do what the "other paid people might not do on your behalf".... Seems redundant to "hope this one will get it right".....

YOU (nobody else) has your best interest at heart and should be making significantly expensive decisions for you...…

GO, protect your own butt !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 01-03-2020, 10:17 AM   #19
rudyunknown

Thanks i guess i needed that hard push. But i might still consider a local tech if possible to see whats needs to be done, or i will ask my best friend Youtube to show me what to look out for in a new TT.

I cant say how helpful these discussions have been.
Old 01-03-2020, 10:18 AM   #20
flybouy
Site Team

As someone who owned various boats and contracted a marine survey before purchase I'll emphatically say that you should be there. An "independent RV Tech" doesn't have the credentials on the line like a marine surveyor does. Ask most anyone that's purchased a "home inspection" if anything was missed during the inspection. Many don't get on the roof or "test" any appliances such as HVAC units or water heaters past flipping a switch and listen for it to run.

You should be there to ensure that a thorough inspection is conducted and to LEARN how to operate the unit and ASK questions. Your making a major investment not ordering a pizza for delivery.

JMHO
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
passport