Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 02-11-2020, 09:38 AM   #1
Northofu1

Using a 30a male to 50a female

Hey folks,
I am wondering if it is safe to use a 25ft 30a extension cord form post to dog bone to trailer in cases where the trailer cord is too short?
I don't often use an extension cord with travel trailer. So it would be on infrequent basis.
TIA for the responses

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 10:08 AM   #2
CedarCreekWoody

You want to use a 30 amp cord plugged into a 30 amp outlet to power a 50 amp camper? If so that is safe but you've reduced your available amperage by 2/3.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 10:16 AM   #3
Pull Toy

It's safe to use, but there are caveats. Just be aware that a 30 amp pedestal, or other power source, will not run all of your 50 amp load at the same time. You won't, for example, be able to run the hair dryer, microwave, air conditioner etc... at the same time. Also, be aware that the longer the distance, the more "voltage drop" you'll experience. I personally wouldn't go over 25 feet, and I'd keep my load to a minimum. You'll want to run your 'fridge', and water heater on propane to reduce your electrical load to protect circuit boards from "brown out" damage.

This will work for that occasional need, as long as you can accept the downside. I also suggest a quality volt meter to make sure you're supplying at least 110v to the camper.

Another trick for those occasions, is to run a second Heavy Duty 15 or 20 amp rated outdoor extension cord from the pedestal to the camper. This can be used to give you a little extra juice for plug in style appliances. If you sneak it in thru a slider, make sure not to pinch it.

Good Luck,

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 08:48 PM   #4
bobbecky

We’ve used our 50 amp shore cord with a 30 foot 50 amp extension cord to a 50/30 amp dog bone to a 50 foot 30 amp cord to a 30 amp outlet and with our Progressive 50 amp hardwired EMS, have been able to function just fine. Of course, this was in the winter, so no A/C use and the fridge and water heater on gas only. The voltage stayed in the safe range and the EMS never shut us down, so it can be done, just be careful.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 08:05 AM   #5
GASMAN6674

Most of the DNR parks in Indiana are 30 amp only, I have a 30 amp male to 50 amp marinco extension cord I use all the time with no issues. My current unit is 50 amp but only has 1 AC so even in the hottest weather it wasn't an issue. My new (soon to be delivered) unit has 2 AC's so I will have to monitor usage and or use 50 when its available.
2015 F350 CC Dually 4:30 & 6.2L
GASMAN6674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 12:14 PM   #6
major bumm

I would agree with Pull Toy.

A neighbor at one RV park had a 50a single a/c unit camper in a 30a site. Had been there for several months and the set up worked. The fella had him, wife, 2 kids and 2 dogs in the camper. He eventually fried the 30a dog bone... a small fire developed and was quickly extinguished. All was repairable, but the park was none too happy. He was moved to a 50a site.

He was not the most RV experienced person, I suspect.
major bumm is offline   Reply With Quote