Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 02-02-2020, 06:59 AM   #81
Keystoned

I forgot what cheap tires came on my Jayco but I had to replace the rear axle which was not straight, I believe from the factory, which was chewing up tires on a long trip. I had to rotate them front to rear to make it home. I replaced the axle and then the tires with Goodyear endurance.
Old 02-02-2020, 07:36 AM   #82
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunny Mike View Post
If i have to swapout my tires, that tells me my next RV purchase won't be Keystone product. I might deliver these tires to the Keystone HQ myself and let them have them back.
You may have to do the same for any new trailer you buy.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 07:43 AM   #83
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
If i have to swapout my tires, that tells me my next RV purchase won't be Keystone product. I might deliver these tires to the Keystone HQ myself and let them have them back.
If the "bottom of the line" tires are your limiting factor then I think you'll be limiting your choices for your next RV purchase. Knowing what I now know I would negotiate changing out the tires as part of negotiating with the dealer.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 08:46 AM   #84
Jfreek65

The other day I did notice while walking a lot most of the Jayco models are proudly advertising Goodyear tires.

Someone got smart on realizing customers are paying attention.
1965 International Scout 80
Jfreek65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 09:18 AM   #85
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfreek65 View Post
The other day I did notice while walking a lot most of the Jayco models are proudly advertising Goodyear tires.

Someone got smart on realizing customers are paying attention.
Most ???

Three years ago, Jayco was advertising "exclusively Goodyear Endurance tires" on all models. In reality, Goodyear and Jayco "worked a deal" to introduce the "new tire brand" to the market. The "Goodyear/Jayco relationship" lasted for 2 years. Last year, about half the Jayco models had Endurance tires, the rest, Westlake, Sailun and Hercules. This year, from what I see at local dealership sales lots, only the "upper Jayco brands" are sporting Endurance tires, the rest are "shod with tires in the same brands as FR, Keystone and the other "n'er do well" trailers.....

If you look at the Jayco website, no tire brand is listed in the "standard equipment" listing. Then, in the "optional packages/equipment" listing, on nearly all the trailers, Goodyear tires are offered as "optional".... How many dealers will order "spec trailers" (ones ordered to sit on the lot) with optional equipment??? How many "spec trailers" will Jayco build without an order to "ship to dealerships when they call for a trailer order" ???? Then, how many "special order buyers" or "novice trailer buyers" are going to know enough to "order the optional tire package" ?? Goodyear isn't "standard equipment on all Jayco trailers any longer.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 10:46 AM   #86
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
If the "bottom of the line" tires are your limiting factor then I think you'll be limiting your choices for your next RV purchase. Knowing what I now know I would negotiate changing out the tires as part of negotiating with the dealer.
It would be best to arm yourself with the proper procedures to follow when asking RV trailer dealers to change-out those Original Equipment tires.

There is a vehicle certification regulation the dealers cannot overlook. “At the time of first sale, the tires on the vehicle MUST be the same designated size as those depicted on the vehicle federal certification label.” However, sometimes the vehicle manufacturer will offer optional wheel/tire fitments that do not match the certification label. In such cases, the dealer is authorized to replace the vehicle manufacturer’s original certification label with one showing the correct tire/wheel sizes at the time of first sale.

A designated size – ST225/75R15 – does not include brand manufacturer or load range capacity. In other words, a ST225/75R15 LRD or LRE both provide identical load capacities at 65 PSI. Because of basic tire standardization, any ST225/75R15 can be replaced by any brand name with the same designated size and equal or greater load capacity.

Warning: When dealers change tires, make sure the replacement tires are registered to that vehicle.

You know, you may find dealers that will overlook the regulations for a quick sale. If they will do that with tires you might want to wonder what other safety violations they may have made in the sale of that trailer.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 11:55 AM   #87
Jfreek65

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Most ???

Three years ago, Jayco was advertising "exclusively Goodyear Endurance tires" on all models. In reality, Goodyear and Jayco "worked a deal" to introduce the "new tire brand" to the market. The "Goodyear/Jayco relationship" lasted for 2 years. Last year, about half the Jayco models had Endurance tires, the rest, Westlake, Sailun and Hercules. This year, from what I see at local dealership sales lots, only the "upper Jayco brands" are sporting Endurance tires, the rest are "shod with tires in the same brands as FR, Keystone and the other "n'er do well" trailers.....

If you look at the Jayco website, no tire brand is listed in the "standard equipment" listing. Then, in the "optional packages/equipment" listing, on nearly all the trailers, Goodyear tires are offered as "optional".... How many dealers will order "spec trailers" (ones ordered to sit on the lot) with optional equipment??? How many "spec trailers" will Jayco build without an order to "ship to dealerships when they call for a trailer order" ???? Then, how many "special order buyers" or "novice trailer buyers" are going to know enough to "order the optional tire package" ?? Goodyear isn't "standard equipment on all Jayco trailers any longer.

The models I was walking through were overwhelmingly jayflights as that’s what my brother in law is considering buying. The models without Goodyear’s were their wilderness style single axels with aggressive tires.
1965 International Scout 80
Jfreek65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 12:00 PM   #88
Gunny Mike

Quote:
This is our third RV purchase and our first one was a leaker and the quality of the seating was awful. When we bought are 2019 Outback we wanted something on the higher end. Tires are just one issue, the others are those blackout shades where I'm telling the wife don't touch them. I'm also hearing the quality of leather on our three love seats will be a future change due to quality of the leather is subject to cracking. Reminds me of Ashley furniture we purchased and ended up on the curb. Seems like the quality just isn't there and they don't listen to their customer's feedback. It is a life safety issue that is being neglected.
Gunny Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 02:14 PM   #89
Keystoned

So the Carlisle ST225/75R15 tires at Walmart for $83;

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Carlisle-...-tire/55012166

Load index of 116 = 2756 lb
Speed rating of M = 81 mph

vs. the Goodyear Endurance on tirerack for $134 (same price at DT);

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...5END&tab=Sizes

Load index of 117 = 2833 lb
Speed rating of N = 87 mph

Makes for a $200 difference for a set of 4, for basically a 77 lb (x 4) difference, as the both speeds are higher than I will ever tow.

I confirmed today with my local Walmart that their machines work with steel wheels.

So if DT has a holiday sale soon and I can get the goodyears for near the price of the carlisles, that would be my goal. Not sure what carlisles warranty is, anyone?
Old 02-05-2020, 03:52 PM   #90
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
This is our third RV purchase and our first one was a leaker and the quality of the seating was awful. When we bought are 2019 Outback we wanted something on the higher end. Tires are just one issue, the others are those blackout shades where I'm telling the wife don't touch them. I'm also hearing the quality of leather on our three love seats will be a future change due to quality of the leather is subject to cracking. Reminds me of Ashley furniture we purchased and ended up on the curb. Seems like the quality just isn't there and they don't listen to their customer's feedback. It is a life safety issue that is being neglected.

The furniture was an issue across the board with virtually all manufacturers for some time. Just looked at a selection of Grand Designs a couple of weeks ago; Reflection and Solitude. All have fake leather and all had the same stuff as Keystone (Thomas Payne if I recall). I told the salesman (very knowledgeable) that I would prefer actual leather and he advised that you would have to purchase that aftermarket unless you moved to a custom unit. We then talked about the dismal failure of the "pleather" covering on the furniture and all the failures. He said that Thomas Payne had completely changed the compounds/mixtures etc. of the material they used and that issue was supposed to be under control. Hope so. Guess we'll find out when I pick up that new HC...fingers crossed.

I would hope that you looked at the blackout shades before purchase so that wouldn't really be on Keystone I wouldn't think. The one we are supposed to have a white looking MCD shade and it seemed to be OK - I refused to have anything with the black shades.

As far as tires, various manufacturers use all kinds of tires and most are considered China junk. Higher end models get Maxxis, Endurance, Sailun etc. Last time I walked thru a Jayco lot looking at anything less than an Eagle I did not see Endurance tires on them, HOWEVER, here is a link from August 2019 that appears to say that Jayco no puts Endurance tires on all their units as you said you have seen.

https://www.jayco.com/blog/jayco-dif...durance-tires/
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 07:37 AM   #91
DDG

Trailer King Tires

Not to beat a dead horse but I have question. I can get Carlisle Radial Trail HD $82.99 a tire or I could get Goodyear Endurance for $116.27. That's just the tire. Would it be better to go with the Goodyear. Thanks for any help. DDG
DDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 08:19 AM   #92
Keystoned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDG View Post
Not to beat a dead horse but I have question. I can get Carlisle Radial Trail HD $82.99 a tire or I could get Goodyear Endurance for $116.27. That's just the tire. Would it be better to go with the Goodyear. Thanks for any help. DDG
$116 is a good price, where did you find that?
I'm also on the fence and would like to know which will have a better warranty...
Old 02-08-2020, 08:28 AM   #93
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keystoned View Post
$116 is a good price, where did you find that?
I'm also on the fence and would like to know which will have a better warranty...
That will be, Goodyear!
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 08:40 AM   #94
DDG

Keystoned, I found them at the Goodyear dealer here Central Minnesota. CWtheMan thanks for the reply. I think I will go with Goodyear. DDG
Old 02-09-2020, 07:38 AM   #95
Keystoned

I'll have to look around here. We are talking about ST225/75R15 size with load range E, right?
Old 02-10-2020, 03:53 AM   #96
DDG

Yes, they are ST 225/75R15. I'm going to go look at them today and check the DOT Date and make sure that there not to old. DDG
Old 02-10-2020, 05:34 AM   #97
German Shepherd Guy

Quote:
I think that is a good idea. Thanks to Danny and John my first upgrade was tires and for that I have been thankful.

My next project this spring is lining the wheel wells.

I am so glad I bought a brand new TT so I wouldn't have to deal with all these "upgrades"
Still, TT ownership keeps the creative juices flowing. Who knows maybe I will invent something useful.
Oak

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 05:48 AM   #98
Keystoned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDG View Post
Yes, they are ST 225/75R15. I'm going to go look at them today and check the DOT Date and make sure that there not to old. DDG
Also check for 117 N for load and speed...
Old 02-11-2020, 02:24 PM   #99
DDG

Keystoned, I have check them out and they do have 117n and the speed rating so I bought the 5 they have at the Goodyear store that I deal with for a grand total of $625.00 with the tax. That's just the tires I have a friend that will mount and bal for $20.00 a tire. He will install the steel valves stem to. Thanks DDG
Old 02-11-2020, 02:53 PM   #100
Keystoned

Good deal then. I don't have a Goodyear dealer locally anymore.
CW can do $121 ea plus tax, plus labor. Not sure I like the idea of getting tires from camping world...

Tags
tires