Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-11-2020, 09:20 AM   #1
Woodz71

RV mattress question

I want to upgrade my mattress in my RV. The OEM is a RV king, 70”x80”. Finding the same size in a good memory foam mattress has been not very productive, RV king sizes of 72”x80” are more common to find.

The I.D. Of the bedroom slide is 71.5” wide. Will a 72” wide memory foam mattress fit in that slide? Going by the dimensions, obvious answer is no but I’m not sure if those type mattresses are nominally sized smaller, or if the memory foam will be ok to compress that 1/2” to squeeze in.

Thoughts please?
Woodz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 09:32 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Most "memory foam mattresses" are shipped with a zippered cover. You can remove the cover on that type of mattress, use an electric carving knife and "trim away the excess mattress size"... Study the mattress construction before cutting, some have a "perimeter foam border" that is made of firmer foam. If yours is like that, then trim both sides to maintain as much "border foam" that is equal on both sides of the mattress.

Most of this type cover are "jersey fabric" and will stretch to fit or shrink to size on small modifications to size.

If you've got an "air supported mattress" or a "non-removeable cover" then this probably won't work with your mattress.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 09:57 AM   #3
Woodz71

Hmm... not sure I want to drop $400+ on a mattress and then whittle on it... sounds like it may be my only option if it doesn’t condense down to fit in the slide.

I think it will fit when it is compressed upon installation, issue would be to change sheets once it is expanded and in place.

Thanks for the response!
Old 01-11-2020, 02:01 PM   #4
bobbecky

Try this site. https://www.mattressinsider.com/cust...attresses.html
We found a local custom mattress builder and had a new latex foam mattress made, RV King with 12" radius corners and upholstered on both sides so it can be flipped, and made to the exact size we wanted.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 02:07 PM   #5
jsb5717

Or just downsize to a queen mattress and gain some additional floor space around the bed.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 04:12 PM   #6
Weekender 1
Gone Traveling

https://www.amazon.com/Graphite-Matt...787607&sr=8-36

https://www.amazon.com/Sleep-Graphit...s%2C243&sr=8-4

Just 2 I found quick.
If its a soft sided one, a 72 will fit, but it must be all foam with no hard sides. Even them its I dont think its stuff enough not to compress in.
Weekender 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 06:53 PM   #7
Woodz71

[QUOTE=Weekender 1;373031]https://www.amazon.com/Graphite-Matt...787607&sr=8-36

https://www.amazon.com/Sleep-Graphit...s%2C243&sr=8-4

Yeah I saw those.. Camping World said they can order me one as well.

Thanks!
Old 01-11-2020, 08:33 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

Not able to look back (I'm in the RV and not at home with the desktop) but I found a website 2-3 years ago that dealt only in foam mattresses. I wanted one to fit a location for my MIL when she came to visit when kids took over the guest room and king bed. They offered any size you wanted, any density you wanted etc. etc. The best place I've ever seen for ordering a foam mattress. What they sent us initially was the wrong density; called them and told them; told me to keep the one I had and sent a new one like I wanted....service like you don't see any more.....and the mattress was super.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 12:30 AM   #9
Woodz71

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbecky View Post
Try this site. https://www.mattressinsider.com/cust...attresses.html
We found a local custom mattress builder and had a new latex foam mattress made, RV King with 12" radius corners and upholstered on both sides so it can be flipped, and made to the exact size we wanted.
I looked this site up and it looks like they might be the ticket. Don’t seem too expensive either.

Thanks!
Old 01-12-2020, 12:32 AM   #10
Woodz71

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Not able to look back (I'm in the RV and not at home with the desktop) but I found a website 2-3 years ago that dealt only in foam mattresses. I wanted one to fit a location for my MIL when she came to visit when kids took over the guest room and king bed. They offered any size you wanted, any density you wanted etc. etc. The best place I've ever seen for ordering a foam mattress. What they sent us initially was the wrong density; called them and told them; told me to keep the one I had and sent a new one like I wanted....service like you don't see any more.....and the mattress was super.
Mr. Danny, was it mattressinsider.com? BobBecky shared that nugget with me earlier. Kinda sounds like them..

Tags
mattress