Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-20-2019, 05:06 AM   #21
08quadram

Just a thought, with 5 people, how about a single cab 3/4 ton 2 wheel drive. It would require driving the Armada also, but you can find them. DW gets to keep driving what she is comfortable with. I pull a 7500 gvw with a '17 Ram crew cab and have no issues. Pulls and handles it well. IF I went any larger, I'd go 3/4 ton. BUT I'm no longer carrying around the offspring. Just the DW and the the furry friend.
1-wife / 1-dog / 2-kids
08quadram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 07:57 AM   #22
Virginia

Armada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rory View Post
Hello all. I am new here and to the whole trailer towing thing. I purchased a used 2007 28rsds and was told an Armada would tow it just fine though the trailer would be on the heavy side at 5900lbs. I bought a used 2005 armada and after it over heated found out it does not have the tow package 🤦*♂️ . So the question is-what should I tow it with? Looking used SUV. Family of 5 but often have other passengers so a truck will not work. Been looking at the 2013 Yukon Denali, 2013 Infiniti QX56 (with tow package of course).
I’ve got an Armada 2005 tow packet ( don’t use Over Drive) towing a Passport Ultra light 175 bh.
At 200k miles transmisión said good by.
The wife lived the new 2018 Armada. It tows rather easily. The 175 bh is only 21 ft and rather light. 3500lbs dry. I agree with most guys on this post feed. Get a bigger truck or smaller camper . Good luck.
Virginia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 08:05 AM   #23
mhbell

Why not a crew cab

I wonder if the OP has thought of getting a F250/2500 crew cab? That would haul the trailer and 5 people easy. I would forget about a SUV and go with a truck. JMHO.
Mel
Old 10-24-2019, 10:32 AM   #24
itat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rory View Post
Hello all. I am new here and to the whole trailer towing thing. I purchased a used 2007 28rsds and was told an Armada would tow it just fine though the trailer would be on the heavy side at 5900lbs. I bought a used 2005 armada and after it over heated found out it does not have the tow package 🤦*♂️ . So the question is-what should I tow it with? Looking used SUV. Family of 5 but often have other passengers so a truck will not work. Been looking at the 2013 Yukon Denali, 2013 Infiniti QX56 (with tow package of course).
Rory hasn't posted since 10-18-2019, so I'm not sure if he is still checking this forum, but if he is, here is my comment.

First, sorry the saleperson mislead you. Do not believe salespeople. Do your research and know the facts. Some sales folks know what they're talking about, many do not, a few are less than ethical.

Second, for towing an RV, payload capacity is the key factor. Toyota used to run an ad showing the Tundra pulling the Space Shuttle. Maybe it could pull it but there was no weight on the back end of that truck.

1/2 ton trucks come is a huge variety of variations with payload capabilities ranging from under 1200# to 2400#. The average 1/2 ton has a GVWR of around 7000-7200# and a payload around 1500-1700#. The more options and bling you add, the less payload you have left over.

I found a few units of your trailer on the internet and they all said the "dry weight" is just over 6000# so your real world weight is going to be over 7000# when fully loaded, maybe 7300#.

My previous TT was right at that weight and for my family of 5 including 3 young-adult boys, I had to go to a 3/4 ton gas truck to be within the truck's ratings, but that 2009 F-150 4x4 only had a payload of 1385#.

If you regularly need to sleep more than 5 people in a trailer, you'll be hard pressed to find something that a 1/2 ton can handle. Maybe look at a smaller trailer like a 3-bed hybrid with a 1/2 ton towing it, and use the Armada to pull a high walled popup.

Good luck.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2014-2018)
itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 12:01 PM   #25
travelin texans

Truck & RV manufacturers should quit printing dry weights & max tow weights on all their literature, both are useless numbers & just create more confusion for everyone. Unfortunately they may miss out several sales upgrades by doing so.
It would interesting to know the percentages of folks that unknowingly, or were given false advice, that bought RVs that were too much for their vehicles & quickly upgraded & how many out there still don't know the difference.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 12:19 PM   #26
Ken / Claudia

I see some rv/truck and some rv/suv combos on the roads and say by opinion many do not know they have a weight problem or just do not care. Why would a person to tow over weight with knowledge and not care is beyond my understanding.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 12:49 PM   #27
alelka

While Ford doesn't make the Excursion any more, you may be able to find one that has been up kept. I have a V10 Excursion that I used to tow my trailer, Keystone Cougar 31sqbe and now Cougar 32reswe. I added air bags to the Ex and we have a weight distribution hitch. All that being said, we now have an F350 (gasser) and my husband tells me there is a world of difference. Most of the time it is just my husband and me. The Excursion was so I could cart around my grandkids and dogs. If I had the money and needed something to cart around family, I would look for a used diesel Excursion. A rare dinosaur for sure, but they are out there. (way better than a Burb).
alelka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 12:58 PM   #28
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by alelka View Post
While Ford doesn't make the Excursion any more, you may be able to find one that has been up kept. I have a V10 Excursion that I used to tow my trailer, Keystone Cougar 31sqbe and now Cougar 32reswe. I added air bags to the Ex and we have a weight distribution hitch. All that being said, we now have an F350 (gasser) and my husband tells me there is a world of difference. Most of the time it is just my husband and me. The Excursion was so I could cart around my grandkids and dogs. If I had the money and needed something to cart around family, I would look for a used diesel Excursion. A rare dinosaur for sure, but they are out there. (way better than a Burb).
There are a couple of reasons why the Excursion is a "rare dinosaur"... First, the energy crisis managed to make almost every "large vehicle" extinct (think about the Sedan de Ville, the Town Car, Crown Victoria and the entire Plymouth, Pontiac, Mercury and Oldsmobile lines.....)

Second, the Excursion diesel, built on a 3/4 ton truck chassis, was WOEFULLY inadequate to carry the payload of "passengers in each seating positon" not to mention adding 1000 pounds of trailer tongue weight. Granted, it was a comfortable cruiser. but as a couple of members here learned the hard way, inadequate for towing a larger travel trailer. If payload is important, any 3/4 ton diesel (pickup or SUV) is suspect for being inadequate.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 01:58 PM   #29
shermris

A good used Ford Excursion will cost you $40,000 and haul 8 or nine people and 1 ton van is really no fun to drive on a regular basis but would be a cheaper option. The Chevy Suburban 2500 will likely come in around the same cost. Your going to need a 3/4 ton minimum to pull your current travel trailer with a family of 5 plus. You need either a bigger tw or a smaller tt...sorry
shermris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 04:23 PM   #30
Gegrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermris View Post
A good used Ford Excursion will cost you $40,000 and haul 8 or nine people and 1 ton van is really no fun to drive on a regular basis but would be a cheaper option. The Chevy Suburban 2500 will likely come in around the same cost. Your going to need a 3/4 ton minimum to pull your current travel trailer with a family of 5 plus. You need either a bigger tw or a smaller tt...sorry
Excursions run around $10-30k and are ALL at least 14 years old now, so they may or may not be the best choice as a tow vehicle.
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 05:50 PM   #31
shermris

Your right, I meant to say Expedition, not Excursion.
shermris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 07:06 PM   #32
johnlewis

I suggest you forget about taking more than 5 people. Let them take a second vehicle. Buy a 3/4 ton truck (the gross weight is beyond what any 1/2 ton can realistically haul), and tell any extra people to drive their own vehicle, and caravan/meet your at campsite. Why do you want to risk the safety of your family/friends?
johnlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 10:03 PM   #33
Frosty46

Why not a crew cab pickup truck. WE have a 2007 Dodge Ram 2500 we pull a 13k fifith wheeel with and we get 15 mpg. Eight foot bed, seating for five. Also we had some luck with all our Suburbans some years ago. Rode like dreams when loaded up good.
Frosty46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 10:25 PM   #34
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by alelka View Post
If you find a used diesel Excursion with the 6.0 motor RUN away as fast as possible, that's the biggest waste of iron ever created.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 04:00 AM   #35
Northofu1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcKenzie View Post
Not a Ford guy, but tow a longer trailer that is 8,200 lbs loaded with a GM half ton with the max trailering package (~2000 lbs payload). I like the setup, but it does take a better hitch, like the Equal-i-zer 4 point. I would not tow more than this but, except for slowing down more on hills, it does pretty much everything my 2001 GMC 2500 Duramax did.

Not to say I wouldn't be better served with a 3/4 ton, but I would not go for a 3/4 ton diesel (same or less payload than my truck), and not a fan of the mpg of the GM 6.0L for when I'm not towing.

If I towed more I'd look at a 3/4 ton gas or a 1 ton diesel. In fact I'm looking at them, more because I want a bigger trailer.
My 1500 towed my trailer adequately, no white knuckling, good wdh, shocks and air bags. Felt safe. The one thing that made upgrading my truck worth the slightly more fuel costs was the transmission. It is as smooth as silk in comparison to the trans used with the 5.3l. The ride is nice and very quiet. Exact same interior I had in my 1500.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 09:53 AM   #36
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
If you find a used diesel Excursion with the 6.0 motor RUN away as fast as possible, that's the biggest waste of iron ever created.
Most of 6.0 diesels have been "bulletproofed" by now or their dead. My BIL has one with a V10 that he tows an old (read heavy) 30' Jayco. The brake lines have rusted out, tranny gave up twice, and this year his hitch separated from the frame (in the driveway thank God).
If you've never ridden in one you have missed the pilgrim experience. The front leaf springs ride like a conestoga wagon and the 4WD version has about the same turning radius as a conestoga wagon.
It's a shame, Ford had a great concept but a lousy implementation.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 05:51 PM   #37
blubuckaroo
Gone Traveling

There's a lot of overkill. I see a lot of 3/4 ton pickups pulling light trailers and boats.
But with travel trailers and 5th wheels, I draw the line at 1/2 the manufacturer's rating.
Just my experience.
blubuckaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 02:56 PM   #38
Roy Finchville

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
In my opinion if you're considering a 1/2 ton quad cab pick up with a "heavy duty tow package" than I wouldn't recommend over 28', a 1/2 SUV not over 24'. I've BTDT with a SUV, a 1/2 ton PU, and while you "might" be within weights the sail area of a larger/longer trailer can create a "hand full" at best to down right dangerous at worst during crosswind conditions.
Now that I've opened that can of worms all the F150 guys and some others that "drink the kool-aid" of the commercials will chime in and tell you you'll be fine.
I think you've received some very sound advice from people with many years experience.
Agree. Not less than a 3/4 ton and tow package that includes electric brakes with tow package. Also even with 2500 make sure and check rear gear ratio. Some trucks are built To increase mpg not load.
Of potential vehicle you are going to buy write down VIN number and go to local Truck dealer orAuto Zone, etc. and they should be able to help.
Roy Finchville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 06:50 AM   #39
mjsibe

Often overlooked
Full size Chevy or GMC vans 2500 or 3500
Are good towing vehicles
I have a 2014 Chevy 3500 passenger van
9800 lb. Towing compasity
The wheel base is 143 in I think
Tow a Passport 3100RK
Been all around the country with it .
Seats 12 with all the seats in.
Perfect for a large family with good towing abilities property equipped
mjsibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 09:16 AM   #40
Shadowcats

I have had 3 Armadas - the first one was a 2012 - pulled a couple of smaller trailers, but it pushed to pull our big Bullet bunkhouse. It gave up in New Mexico on a trip so I was forced to buy a new 2017 Armada - What a change! Nissan really made the changes with a different frame, upgraded engine, and transmission. That one was totaled in a hail storm as was our trailer - bought the new 2018 Armada to go with the new Bullet 330BHS - pulls great with no problem.

I did beef up the suspension and upgraded to heavy truck type tires. Because the trailer is about 38 feet I also added a remote camera (don't worry about mirrors). We've pulled the Colorado mountains and across the country.

Hope this helps - happy camping.

Tags
tow, towing