Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-06-2021, 05:42 PM   #1
Frisbeekev

To use water regulator or not.

How does everyone feel about using a water regulator? Are they necessary? I took mine off part way through my last trip and the difference was amazing. Those things really throttle down water pressure (as they should). However is it bad for the system. I know the pex pipe is also being used more in homes for remodeling so that should handle the pressure.
Frisbeekev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 05:46 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

If you using one of the cheap plastic ones, throw it away and get a true regulator with the gauge. I have been in campgrounds that the water pressure was in excess of 80PSI. I won’t hook up without it.

This one: https://www.amazon.com/Measureman-Ad...67036309&psc=1

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 05:49 PM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

A quality regulator bwill not restrict the flow. bThe cheap regulators are just flow restrictors. A good regulator costs more but are necfessary to protect the water system. I've seen cg water pressure exceed 100 psi and it's not the PEX pipe so much as the cheap fittings used to connect the pipe.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 06:43 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

You are using the cheap regulators....which do not regulate, they just shut down the water pressure no matter how low it is. Get a quality adjustable water regulator and there won't be that problem....and you will actually have protection for your RV.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 06:48 PM   #5
travelin texans

Just FYI!
This is a regulator, it will not restrict the flow. It will regulate the pressure to it's set point, typically 50-55 psi, but will not increase low pressures. The regulator should be connected to the water source faucet at every stop. If you are at a park with very low pressure fill the fresh water tank & use the pump, it's typically set at 40-45 psi.

Name:   shopping.jpeg
Views: 1750
Size:  8.2 KB

This is a so called "regulator" but is actually a restrictor. It will/does restrict the flow regardless of the pressure. As it ages they seem to restrict even more. Either toss it in a bin for an emergency or just toss it.
Click image for larger version

Name:	40064__34273.1479923235.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	32314

While on the "must haves", if you don't have a surge protector/EMS, either hardwired or portable & must be an EMS, connected to your power source you need to get one ASAP & use it everywhere every time you plug in to shore power.

To answer your post question;
Absolutely use a regulator & an EMS every time you stop.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 08:37 PM   #6
Jim2366

We just purchased a water regulator and pressure gauge. It keeps the water pressure below at 45 psi. I like the gauge then I can see that it is working. We stay at Modular home parks that have very high psi and want to keep my pex fittings from breaking.

https://www.campingworld.com/valterr...mbo-49512.html
Old 03-07-2021, 03:37 PM   #7
Frisbeekev

Thanks looks like i have beeen using a cheap one. Will have to go for upgrade before my next time out.
Frisbeekev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 01:54 PM   #8
MarkEHansen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim2366 View Post
We just purchased a water regulator and pressure gauge. It keeps the water pressure below at 45 psi. I like the gauge then I can see that it is working. We stay at Modular home parks that have very high psi and want to keep my pex fittings from breaking.

https://www.campingworld.com/valterr...mbo-49512.html
I know it calls itself a regulator, but it's not - it's just a restrictor. You can tell because it has no adjustment for the water pressure. You should replace that with an actual regulator. See the post just above yours for examples.
Old 03-10-2021, 04:40 PM   #9
Team MSRV

I also vote to use the right type. I've made that mistake.
Team MSRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 02:41 PM   #10
Weldon

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Just FYI!
This is a regulator, it will not restrict the flow. It will regulate the pressure to it's set point, typically 50-55 psi, but will not increase low pressures. The regulator should be connected to the water source faucet at every stop. If you are at a park with very low pressure fill the fresh water tank & use the pump, it's typically set at 40-45 psi.
Attachment 32313

This is a so called "regulator" but is actually a restrictor. It will/does restrict the flow regardless of the pressure. As it ages they seem to restrict even more. Either toss it in a bin for an emergency or just toss it.
Attachment 32314

While on the "must haves", if you don't have a surge protector/EMS, either hardwired or portable & must be an EMS, connected to your power source you need to get one ASAP & use it everywhere every time you plug in to shore power.

To answer your post question;
Absolutely use a regulator & an EMS every time you stop.
We have used this "regulator" for about 3 years now with no issues...meaning our pressure is fine in our old pop up and current TT. Yeah it costs a little more and isn't available at wal mart but will protect your TT and leave you with adequate pressure. I bought ours on amazon.
Weldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 04:15 PM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldon View Post
We have used this "regulator" for about 3 years now with no issues...meaning our pressure is fine in our old pop up and current TT. Yeah it costs a little more and isn't available at wal mart but will protect your TT and leave you with adequate pressure. I bought ours on amazon.
Which regulator do you refer to?
Old 03-11-2021, 04:30 PM   #12
dutchmensport

I don't use a regulator at all. Why?

Because many years ago, when we purchased our first trailer, we stopped at a KOA for an over night. At check-in the manager asked me if I had a water regulator and I said I do. I had the brass small one the dealership gives you in the curtesy starter package.

The manager said that was good, because the campground water pressure was about 120 psi and if I did not use a regulator, the water pressure would surely blow out the water lines in my camper.

I thanked him for the information and warning and then I though about what he said the whole time I was setting up camp. I began to double question and out think that gift water pressure regulator and thought to myself, I have no clue how good it actually is. I'm not taking any chances blowing out the water lines in my NEW camper.

I filled the fresh water tank and used the water there. The tank was gravity filled, so there was never any pressure affect from the campground system. I felt completely confident with the on-bard water pump and since then, I have never connected the water hose to any trailer I've ever had, except to fill the fresh water tank or use the black tank flusher.

And, I've never had to worry about the campground water pressure ever since. I have peace of mind and the noise of the on board water pump does not bother us at all. Actually, if you do have a water leak, you'll hear the water pump kick on and off, and you you are loosing water somewhere.

Case in point, after de-winterizing last winter, I did not get the water line running to the ice maker in the refrigerator tightened enough. The connection point was under the slide out. Had it not been for the water pump running for a few seconds every couple hours or so, I would have never know there was a slight drip there. When I check things out, I found water spots dripping there. A simple extra turn with a pair of plyers and the connection was tight again.

So, in a way, I much more prefer running water into my fresh water tank and using my on-board water pump. Plus, it is also a better gauge for knowing how full the grey and black tank are getting and how much water we are actually using.

For us, this works. But, we each do it different. I'll never use a water regulator, no matter how good someone says it is because I'll never hook the hose up to the camper and just leave it on.
Old 03-12-2021, 06:29 AM   #13
Weldon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Which regulator do you refer to?
the one travelin texans said was a "regulator" and not a "restrictor."
Attached Images

Weldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 06:33 AM   #14
sourdough
Site Team

Thanks. I wasn't clear from your post.
Old 03-12-2021, 06:37 AM   #15
Javi

This is a regulator, rebuildable, reliable, and adjustable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Watts Regulator.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	32418  
Old 03-12-2021, 06:57 AM   #16
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
This is a regulator, rebuildable, reliable, and adjustable.
That's exactly what I had after the CW one I posted crapped out, I think it froze.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 07:29 AM   #17
LewisB

A Point of Clarification?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
I don't use a regulator at all. Why?

Because many years ago, when we purchased our first trailer, we stopped at a KOA for an over night. At check-in the manager asked me if I had a water regulator and I said I do. I had the brass small one the dealership gives you in the curtesy starter package.

The manager said that was good, because the campground water pressure was about 120 psi and if I did not use a regulator, the water pressure would surely blow out the water lines in my camper.

I thanked him for the information and warning and then I though about what he said the whole time I was setting up camp. I began to double question and out think that gift water pressure regulator and thought to myself, I have no clue how good it actually is. I'm not taking any chances blowing out the water lines in my NEW camper.

I filled the fresh water tank and used the water there. The tank was gravity filled, so there was never any pressure affect from the campground system. I felt completely confident with the on-bard water pump and since then, I have never connected the water hose to any trailer I've ever had, except to fill the fresh water tank or use the black tank flusher.

And, I've never had to worry about the campground water pressure ever since. I have peace of mind and the noise of the on board water pump does not bother us at all. Actually, if you do have a water leak, you'll hear the water pump kick on and off, and you you are loosing water somewhere.

Case in point, after de-winterizing last winter, I did not get the water line running to the ice maker in the refrigerator tightened enough. The connection point was under the slide out. Had it not been for the water pump running for a few seconds every couple hours or so, I would have never know there was a slight drip there. When I check things out, I found water spots dripping there. A simple extra turn with a pair of plyers and the connection was tight again.

So, in a way, I much more prefer running water into my fresh water tank and using my on-board water pump. Plus, it is also a better gauge for knowing how full the grey and black tank are getting and how much water we are actually using.

For us, this works. But, we each do it different. I'll never use a water regulator, no matter how good someone says it is because I'll never hook the hose up to the camper and just leave it on.
All this is fine & dandy and true IF you have a GRAVITY FEED water tank fill system. However, many (most?) modern trailers have a combined internal city water/tank fill connection. The only reasonable way to get water into the tank is through this connection which means you are subjecting a lot of your internal piping to the potentially high unregulated pressure of the city system. You should ALWAYS use a true water pressure regulator in front of this connection.

We are like you and rarely use the city water for an overnight camping stay - we just use our pump and tank. The primary reason for that, however, is becaue the DW wants filtered water only and I'm too lazy to set up the regulator, hoses, filters, etc. for a single overnight stay. When it's time to fill the tank, the regulator is the first thing to get hooked up!

Hope that clarification makes sense.
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 08:14 AM   #18
Scoop

(I felt completely confident with the on-bard water pump and since then, I have never connected the water hose to any trailer I've ever had, except to fill the fresh water tank or use the black tank flusher. )

You should always use the regulator/restrictor on the black flush also, I did not a few times and had some water leakage under the trailer after and right away bought a second one to use there as it is for the black system, do not want to mix those .
Scoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 09:24 AM   #19
h8ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldon View Post
the one travelin texans said was a "regulator" and not a "restrictor."
Geez... there’s only like 20 plus options of pressure regulators on Amazon from 22.00 up to 58.00 and they all look EXACTLY the same!

Tried to find a review on which ones better! What a joke!
h8ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 10:31 AM   #20
MarkEHansen

Here's the one I got. It was recommended by others on this forum. I really like it: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N7JZTYX

Tags
water