Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 02-27-2021, 01:26 AM   #1
mworley

Another Tire Question

I'm going to get new tires for my Cougar 2019 310RLS
It came with Trailer King RST size ST235/80 R16 load rang E.
I'm thinking about going up to ST235/85/16 GY Endurance ?
I looked on the back of my aluminum wheels and could not find a PSI rating on the wheel. I'm looking for help on making my decision on what size and brand to use. I'm close to retirement and we plan to hit the road and put a lot of miles on the road. Thanks for all the knowledgeable people in this forum
mworley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 05:40 AM   #2
rhagfo

Well the GY Endurance has gotten good reviews on this and other forums and seems to be a decent ST tire. some food for thought, we have a 2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, came from the factory with optional LT 235/85-16 E tires. The original tires were still on when we bought in 2012, and we ran them for about three more years no cracks in sidewalls. We replaced with Yokohama YK-HTX LT235/85-16E, yes load rating is "only" 3,042# ea. or total 12,168#. You likely carry less than 10,000# on your 5er tires.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 05:44 AM   #3
dutchmensport

There is confusion when getting new tires for an RV trailer. Do you use the tire pressure listed on the placard on the front driver side corner of you camper? Do you use the pressure the tire is rated at? Do you use the pressure the rim is rated at?

The tires I have on mine are rated max 120 psi right now. The placard on the trailer says max 90. I'm using 90 in the tires.
Old 02-27-2021, 06:56 AM   #4
gearhead

You will probably have to remove a wheel to find where the load info is. It may be stamped with max psi or max load. Could be on the backside of a spoke or on the rim itself. Have a wire brush ready to clean where the stamp is.
I think some tire companies are building steel cased tires in that size. May be something to consider.
cwtheman might chime in....
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 07:33 AM   #5
Northofu1

My question would be why would you want to move up a tire size rather than a load rating.
And,,,,, welcome to the forum.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 09:00 AM   #6
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mworley View Post
I'm going to get new tires for my Cougar 2019 310RLS
It came with Trailer King RST size ST235/80 R16 load rang E.
I'm thinking about going up to ST235/85/16 GY Endurance ?
I looked on the back of my aluminum wheels and could not find a PSI rating on the wheel. I'm looking for help on making my decision on what size and brand to use. I'm close to retirement and we plan to hit the road and put a lot of miles on the road. Thanks for all the knowledgeable people in this forum

The GY LRE (3420#) does not qualify for replacing the Trailer King LRE (3520#.

It would be a clear violation of industry standards on Keystone's part for providing wheels not certified to carry the PSI and load range of the OE tires.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 12:22 PM   #7
mworley

I put 80PSI in the tires like the rating on the side of tire. I put it across Cat scale and the trailer wt# 10400. I just took a wheel off and I don’t see anything about max PSI the load rate is 3520#
mworley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 02:58 PM   #8
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mworley View Post
I put 80PSI in the tires like the rating on the side of tire. I put it across Cat scale and the trailer wt# 10400. I just took a wheel off and I don’t see anything about max PSI the load rate is 3520#
The standards do not require wheels to have such markings on them. The ASE certifies wheels/rims. It's the vehicle manufacturers responsibility to fit OE tires to rims that will support the load capacity and the PSI value required to support those values. Wheel/rim manufacturer's are required to have the identification of their organization on them. Wheel/rim manufacturers are required to provide load and PSI specifications on demand. The vehicle manufacturer should also be able to provide wheel max weight and PSI values as they should have a copy of the SAE certifications on file.

Probably the fastest way to get an answer about wheels will be from the OEM provider.

Keep in mind that the vehicle manufacturer has no obligation to use wheels/rims with load capacities that exceed the demands of the OE tires, unless, optional tires with higher load capacities are provided and installed prior to the vehicles first sale.
Old 02-27-2021, 04:43 PM   #9
Johnnyfry

The definitive tire pressure is dependent upon load. Get the trailer weighed a a CAT scale and determine the load on each tire. Go to the tire manufacturer's web site and look up your model on the load chart. Put in your per tire load and only then will you get the accurate pressure to use.
Johnnyfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 06:09 PM   #10
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyfry View Post
The definitive tire pressure is dependent upon load. Get the trailer weighed a a CAT scale and determine the load on each tire. Go to the tire manufacturer's web site and look up your model on the load chart. Put in your per tire load and only then will you get the accurate pressure to use.
There is a caveat to your statement. Industry wide standards for RV trailer tire inflation is to "never use less inflation pressure for OE tires that is below the trailer manufacturer's recommendations".