Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-25-2021, 04:12 PM   #1
Brimonahan

Bullet Crossfire 1800RB

Hi everyone,

I’ve been in the market for a travel trailer for awhile now and I've found a bullet crossfire 1800rb that seems to fit what I’m looking for.

Does anyone care to share their experience? The good, bad, and even ugly? Do you regret it or would you do it all over again?

I appreciate any input. This is my first travel trailer and I’m trying to find a balance between quality and keeping my bank account happy 🤪
Brimonahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 04:18 PM   #2
travelin texans

What's your tow vehicle? That could be a determining factor before purchasing.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 04:19 PM   #3
Brimonahan

I have a 4Runner rated for 5000lbs. The 1800rb is 4400 wet so I should be fine in that aspect.
Brimonahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 04:55 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brimonahan View Post
I have a 4Runner rated for 5000lbs. The 1800rb is 4400 wet so I should be fine in that aspect.
You'll need to do some "critical calculations" on that 4Runner. It may be rated for 5000 pounds max trailer, but that doesn't mean the tongue weight when added to the weight distribution hitch weight will "fit the payload maximum" when you add passengers and cargo that you'll have in the 4Runner.

That 5000 pound max trailer is based on a GCWR (gross combined weight rating) of the 4 Runner base model with ZERO cargo in the truck to achieve that 5000 pound capacity. As you add weight to the 4Runner, you have to deduct from that "max trailer capacity" as well.... (Keeping the equation equal on both sides)....

Do some calculations before you commit to make sure you, your passengers and cargo leave enough room for an anticipated tongue weight of around 550-650 pounds AND 125 pounds for the hitch....

The 1800 is a single axle trailer so it is "inherently less stable" than a tandem axle trailer, so you'll need a quality weight distribution hitch with active sway control. Don't let some salesman talk you into a "slide bar" sway addition to a cheap hitch.

When you're doing your calculations, start with around 550+125 or around 675-700 pounds on the trailer ball plus your "in car load"...

Remember, you're talking about a single axle "square box" with a 160-175 square foot "sail side" that your going to have to control at 65MPH as sidewinds push you one direction and 18 wheelers push back... So, you want the best (not the cheapest) hitch with sway control to couple your rig.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 05:35 PM   #5
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brimonahan View Post
This is the most used miscalculation for towing RVs. "My tv is rated to tow XXXXLBS & that rv only weighs XXXXLBS!", so without some more information & numbers you may not be fine that respect.
Those tow ratings were arrived at by the manufacturer using trailers with ALL the load directly over the axles with minimal tongue weight, which in no way compares to towing RVs where there's 10-15% of the rv GVWR as tongue weight especially on a single axle rv.
There should be a yellow/white tag on the drivers door post of your vehicle stating "occupants & cargo must not exceed XXXX lbs", this is the payload for that vehicle. That payload is everyone/everything in/on that vehicle + the tongue weight of your rv + the weight of the WDH (which is absolutely mandatory).
You may want to read your 4Runner owners manual as to whether the use of a WDH is allowed. Some of the smaller SUVs are unibody vehicles (no actual frame) that recommend NOT using a WDH.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 05:47 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Brianna I don't want to rain on your parade; I want everyone to be able to enjoy the fun that an RV offers, but.....

Which 4Runner do you have? I own one with 5k miles on it and have owned several prior. They ARE NOT tow vehicles. Does yours even have a receiver on it (some don't)?

The 4Runner is a body on frame vehicle which is much better for towing than a unibody BUT the 4Runner just isn't made for it. The suspension is far too soft; the tires aren't up for any heavy load put on it; that 4.0L engine and transmission are so long in the tooth that the rest of the world has passed them by. I buy them because they are beyond dependable, great 4 wheelers, just the right size for us and they hold their value as good, or better, than most anything. I don't buy them for towing and wouldn't.

If you have the SR5 or TRD Off Road the suspensions "float" so much I can't imagine having a trailer behind it. The Limited is more stable but still not up for the job. Of course it's up to you but if this is your first trailer and never towed anything, this is one heck of a "oh no" combo IMO. If it has a hitch what are the limits on it? I'm not home so I can't look at my owners manual but it very wall may be 500lbs. Do your due diligence.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
bullet