Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 01-18-2021, 03:39 PM   #1
roberthensley491

Bull**** Warranty from Keystone

I recently bought a new 2020 Keystone Impact Fuzion 367 Toyhauler in August of 2020. I used it three nights camping and has been stored inside my RV garage. We were scheduled for taking a trip to Arizona this month and went to turn on my Frig to power and it shorted out the GFI breaker. Could not get it to reset. Took to a Authorized warranty dealer (Gander aka Camping World) not my choice, bought rig out of state in Kansas. Gander advised the electrical board behind the Frig that runs the Frig circuit had fried and missing parts? What the heck does that even mean. They said it was installed wrong, but neither Keystone or Frig warranty will cover it because I cannot prove I did something. That’s total bull****, no wonder buying any kind of extended warranty or even the so called factory warranty is worthless. So now I got to pay out of my pocket $600 plus for a part that the factory installed wrong but I get screwed for it. Any one know of any source that can be contacted to fight this.
roberthensley491 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 04:00 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Where did you buy the trailer? Your selling dealer is usually your best bet at getting good results on warranty work approved/performed. In your case sounds to me like whoever looked at the trailer and submitted the info to Keystone left it open for interpretation that you were responsible for the issue. I'd be looking to them for an explanation. Keystone will make an assessment on the information they are presented.

Just some aside info; dealers do not like to do warranty work - it is a HUGE hassle and they are generally underpaid. When you go to someone other than the selling dealer, who made the profit on your trailer, the other dealer has no skin in the game or motivation to go above and beyond for you. As one tech told me; he would bid the repairs high so the manufacturer would turn it down. Not a good thing. At that point you have to get personally involved with the dealer or repair facility.

In the scenario you present so far I don't see a Keystone issue but rather a dealer. And, if looking objectively at the problem without one bit of information; What tripped a gfi breaker? How? Why? Did that contribute to the failure of the board at the fridge? Those are the things that you and the dealership will have to sort out and determine. Unfortunately, once the claim, and the initial assessment, has been presented to Keystone it can be very difficult to have them reverse their decision without management intervention from the dealer. - that is who Keystone is listening to.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 04:20 PM   #3
roberthensley491

Thanks for info. Will attempt to contact Becker RV in Kansas. Do not know what fried the circuit board. Local warranty dealer claims it was installed wrong with parts missing to prevent the board fro shorting out while screwed into the side wall of the trailer itself in behind the frig
Old 01-18-2021, 04:29 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberthensley491 View Post
Thanks for info. Will attempt to contact Becker RV in Kansas. Do not know what fried the circuit board. Local warranty dealer claims it was installed wrong with parts missing to prevent the board fro shorting out while screwed into the side wall of the trailer itself in behind the frig
Ok, I’m confused. What “board” is screwed to the sidewall of the trailer?

Refer has a control board mounted to the lower part of the fridge and only has 12VDC connections and the AC cord for the heating element that’s plugged into an outlet in the refer cabinet.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 04:33 PM   #5
NH_Bulldog

It is not unheard of for a trailer sitting on a dealer’s lot to have parts “borrowed” to fix another unit instead of waiting for ordered parts.........this might explain a missing or poorly (re)installed part. Also, the appliances have their own warranties, so maybe you should be pursuing them directly. Just something to think about.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab 4x4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 04:35 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

If these guys knew what they were doing, and how to submit a claim, they should have detailed explanations and pictures showing this "misapplication" of parts by an unknown installer. I would insist on it....I figure it might be interesting.
Old 01-18-2021, 05:45 PM   #7
roberthensley491

Frig issues

Thanks for the replies.I will head to the current warranty dealer (Gander) and get a copy of the technician notes too see what he or she saw was wrong with the circuit board and what lead him or her to say it was installed wrong and what parts were missing, and what the heck is the part called and actual part number and who or where did they submit info too. Then I can follow up being more informed. Even worse they claim not sure they can even get the part anytime soon. I tell u 2020 sucks for everything.in hide sight I wished I kept my 2015 Sandstorm toy hauler, had it 5 years and not one single item broke on it.
It’s sad these manufacture companies will not even honor their one year warranty yet they want to try and sell u extended warranty. The more I deal with these trailer issues the more I feeling it’s not worth buying any trailer, probably cheaper just stay in a hotel less headache. Ok done venting thanks
Old 01-18-2021, 06:00 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks for the replies.I will head to the current warranty dealer (Gander) and get a copy of the technician notes too see what he or she saw was wrong with the circuit board and what lead him or her to say it was installed wrong and what parts were missing, and what the heck is the part called and actual part number and who or where did they submit info too. Then I can follow up being more informed. Even worse they claim not sure they can even get the part anytime soon. I tell u 2020 sucks for everything.in hide sight I wished I kept my 2015 Sandstorm toy hauler, had it 5 years and not one single item broke on it.
It’s sad these manufacture companies will not even honor their one year warranty yet they want to try and sell u extended warranty. The more I deal with these trailer issues the more I feeling it’s not worth buying any trailer, probably cheaper just stay in a hotel less headache. Ok done venting thanks

One thing to keep in mind...always; the only person that has your well being in mind is you. That said, you need to be 100% involved with the folks doing this. Find and meet the service advisor, service manager and GM in one trip. Explain your situation and expectations to the management.

All trailers come out of the factory with some sort of issue anymore generally - some large; some small; some none. YOU must be the driver in the outcome of your repairs. As I said previously, the depth of their problem analysis, documentation and submission will completely determine the decision on a warranty claim. I would highly suspect that the dealer you used failed you.
Old 01-18-2021, 06:06 PM   #9
roberthensley491

RV frig issue

Did some web search the brand of the frig is Norcold 1210, the part is called Power Board. (Norcold Board Kit W/control adapters, run around $262 dollars.
Old 01-18-2021, 06:17 PM   #10
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Did some web search the brand of the frig is Norcold 1210, the part is called Power Board. (Norcold Board Kit W/control adapters, run around $262 dollars.
That’s the 4 door Norcold IIRC, and the board is mounted to the refer, not the sidewall of the trailer. Something isn’t right.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 01-18-2021, 06:25 PM   #11
roberthensley491

In this case it is inside the compartment behind the frig access thru the frig vent panel outside the rig, near the electrical socket the frig cord was plugged into and it was screwed into the inside side of the trailer wall that happened to be a sheet of metal backing? I’m not smart enough to know where it should of been. Thanks to today’s responses I can ask more educated questions to the repair shop and to the dealership I bought it from. I will update for FYI what was learned, in case it happens to others.
Old 01-18-2021, 06:30 PM   #12
chuckster57
Site Team

Can you post a P/N? Only thing I can come up with is the control board mounted to the fridge.

Old 01-18-2021, 06:44 PM   #13
roberthensley491

Frig problems

The site I’m looking at is thenorcoldguy.com unfortunately the site shows the part number is based on the refrigerators serial number which I do not have access right now sense it is at the dealership.
Could be Norcold board kit 633205 w/controls $262 or 633275 $248 or 628661 $156. I will find out tomorrow.
The above web site shows what the board/ power board looks like on my rig that was attached to the trailer inside wall accessed thru frig vent panel.
Old 01-18-2021, 06:47 PM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

The way it's "supposed to be installed" is with a 120 VAC "dedicated outlet" mounted to the wall and the "completely self contained refrigerator" mounted in the space with the 120 VAC cord plugged into that outlet. On almost all trailers, that outlet is on a GFCI protected circuit.

The refrigerator control system board" is mounted on the back of the refrigerator. There "should be" no "refrigerator component" mounted on any wall "in or behind the cabinet space" where the refrigerator is installed.

Something just doesn't smell right with what you're saying the dealer has relayed to you.

Some considerations: I can't think of any component that would cost $600 on the refrigerator, that would fail and cause the warranty to be void. Any control board failure would be covered by Norcold warranty. Any venting/fan issue would be covered by Norcold warranty.

If there is a "wiring issue with the dedicated 120 VAC outlet or the wiring to it, unless you've been "tinkering in the back" and ripped the wiring out, there's no reason I can think of which would invalidate your warranty....

My guess (just my opinion) there is a "BS problem" but not with Keystone, but with the dealership.... It sure looks like they are trying to increase their "warranty reimbursement" by getting Keystone to disapprove the claim ($50 an hour) so they can charge you for the repairs at the current "shop rate" which is likely to be $125-150/hour.....

Since you're not "their customer" you get the "extra benefit of paying the bill"....

This may not be what they are doing, but I can't come up with any reasonable excuse why Keystone and/or Norcold would refuse the warranty on a 6 month old trailer.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 06:52 PM   #15
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
The way it's "supposed to be installed" is with a 120 VAC "dedicated outlet" mounted to the wall and the "completely self contained refrigerator" mounted in the space with the 120 VAC cord plugged into that outlet. On almost all trailers, that outlet is on a GFCI protected circuit.

The refrigerator control system board" is mounted on the back of the refrigerator. There "should be" no "refrigerator component" mounted on any wall "in or behind the cabinet space" where the refrigerator is installed.

Something just doesn't smell right with what you're saying the dealer has relayed to you.

Some considerations: I can't think of any component that would cost $600 on the refrigerator, that would fail and cause the warranty to be void. Any control board failure would be covered by Norcold warranty. Any venting/fan issue would be covered by Norcold warranty.

If there is a "wiring issue with the dedicated 120 VAC outlet or the wiring to it, unless you've been "tinkering in the back" and ripped the wiring out, there's no reason I can think of which would invalidate your warranty....

My guess (just my opinion) there is a "BS problem" but not with Keystone, but with the dealership.... It sure looks like they are trying to increase their "warranty reimbursement" by getting Keystone to disapprove the claim ($50 an hour) so they can charge you for the repairs at the current "shop rate" which is likely to be $125-150/hour.....

Since you're not "their customer" you get the "extra benefit of paying the bill"....

This may not be what they are doing, but I can't come up with any reasonable excuse why Keystone and/or Norcold would refuse the warranty on a 6 month old trailer.
That’s what I’m thinking.

OP: when you go the the repair facility, do me a favor and take some pictures of the board, refer back and compartment. If they refuse to allow you to take any pictures, then I would definitely ask to talk to the head honcho.

Old 01-18-2021, 08:25 PM   #16
flybouy
Site Team

If you've agreed to pay for this repair demand that they give you the old parts. Most all states have a law requiring them to honor that request as you own them if they aren't being replaced under warranty .
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 04:21 AM   #17
jasin1

Shot in the dark but could they be talking about the gfci enclosure as the “power board” and what’s missing is the “ground” ? So the board shorted to ground instead of the gfci? Although I don’t know why the control board fuses didn’t save itself.. the only other thing I saw is the control board looks to have a isolation base that goes between the board and whatever it mounts to.The board itself may have been borrowed to repair another warranty claim before your unit was sold.When the dealer received the replacement warranty part and installed back on your unit(before you or anyone purchased it),they may have left the isolation base off,causing the back of the board to short to refigerator chassis when jostled
Old 01-19-2021, 06:08 AM   #18
cavie

Quote:
I recently bought a new 2020 Keystone Impact Fuzion 367 Toyhauler in August of 2020. I used it three nights camping and has been stored inside my RV garage. We were scheduled for taking a trip to Arizona this month and went to turn on my Frig to power and it shorted out the GFI breaker. Could not get it to reset. Took to a Authorized warranty dealer (Gander aka Camping World) not my choice, bought rig out of state in Kansas. Gander advised the electrical board behind the Frig that runs the Frig circuit had fried and missing parts? What the heck does that even mean. They said it was installed wrong, but neither Keystone or Frig warranty will cover it because I cannot prove I did something. That’s total bull****, no wonder buying any kind of extended warranty or even the so called factory warranty is worthless. So now I got to pay out of my pocket $600 plus for a part that the factory installed wrong but I get screwed for it. Any one know of any source that can be contacted to fight this.
skip the dealer and call Keystone direct. the dealer is jurking your chain.
Old 01-19-2021, 08:57 AM   #19
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
skip the dealer and call Keystone direct. the dealer is jurking your chain.

The red highlight is correct. Contacting Keystone isn't the best alternative for the OP at this point IMO. He has a new trailer used 3 days. He has about 8 months warranty left. He has picked the dealer closest to him that can do warranty work as I understand the post.

The OP might call Keystone on this one issue and contest the decision but would have to have documentation/proof that the dealer was wrong. That is impossible to do if you don't know who did what when, where and how. The bigger issue is what do you do with the other, possible numerous, issues that will probably pop up? Just call Keystone? I can assure you they aren't going to let you assess the issue, pay for parts and repair them as you see fit - then you are back to the dealer.

At this stage, again IMO, it is best that the OP figure out what is going on with the dealer, do his best to get everyone on the same page with face to face meetings, get this issue resolved and hopefully come to an understanding that will lead to a better outcome on future warranty claims. If that cannot be accomplished then another dealer is in order. Any way you slice it Keystone is not going to review and authorize ongoing warranty issues with an owner.
Old 01-19-2021, 08:57 AM   #20
notanlines

Robert, "skip the dealer and call Keystone direct. the dealer is jurking your chain"Cavie is probably half right, about the chain, but follow the leaders directions for now. And keep us informed. We're on your side!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
keystone, warranty