Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 08-16-2020, 12:59 PM   #1
mrjim

Leaky Passport

Bought a new Passport 2520RL last Aug. Roof had been leaking, window leaked, ruined countertop from water damage. I had for 3 weeks, the dealer had it 7 weeks. That was my season. Stored it indoors over winter, and brought it out in June. Door seal leaked, another window leak to the extent we had standing water in our bedroom, bathroom, and front storage compartment. Floor is now rotted and spongy in front third of camper. Waited 2 weeks before Keystone made decision to take it back to Goshen and rebuild this piece of crap, although no date has been given. Again, no camping this summer/fall after we retired last year. This is poor service, and they should be ashamed of making this. NO pride?
mrjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 01:11 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Welcome to the forum. I'm sorry it's under such disheartening circumstances. Those are a LOT of problems to happen so quickly and yes, I too would be disappointed, disgusted and aggravated.

The happy note, if there is one, is that Keystone is taking it back to repair it. It doesn't make the inability to use it any less but at least you will get a useable unit back hopefully. Maybe they can get it in and out quickly (use that term loosely) so you can get back to using it.

I've always said, and don't understand why it would be, but it assuredly seems there are good days and bad days at the RV manufacturer sites. Some units come out with nary a problem and others are falling apart by the time they reach the dealer. I attribute it to the "Monday/Friday syndrome" but no telling what it is. One thing is for sure QC doesn't exist in the RV world. Good luck.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 01:33 PM   #3
wiredgeorge

I am pretty sure that the assembly line(s) at Keystone run Passports till they get their quota then switch to Bullets, etc. It does seem that some Keystone lines have significantly more fundamental quality issues. That would be the Passports and Bullet lines. Is this my imagination? I can't recall anyone complaining about ruined floors with a Cougar or Montana; perhaps different assembly lines? I know some folks have visited quality central... anyone know? Sure feel bad for mrjim! Hopefully the folks in Indy can make the trailer right. Sounds like a new trailer would have been a less expensive option for Keystone.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 02:14 PM   #4
NH_Bulldog

The Passport and Bullet are ultra light models. The floors are less robust than other lines that are not as focused on weight reduction. The underlying issue is not the floor itself, but rather the leaks above the floor level the OP has experienced from day one. Take the leaks out of the equation and the floor isn’t an issue. But the leaks combined with the ultra light floor construction are a disaster.

I have a Passport and I have no floor issues, but I also have no leaks anywhere. My last camper was a Jayco and was plagued by leaks, and Jayco never stepped up to help. I guess that makes me more vigilant with the Passport, but at least in the OP’s case Keystone is taking responsibility and that is a positive step in the right direction!
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 03:30 PM   #5
IMASAP

I hate to jinx myself, but we bought our Bullet new in 2015 and it has been almost completely problem free. Honestly, I'm amazed how good it has been to us. Seems every year we discuss getting something new and it is stories like this, while the factories pump out RVs like crazy, that keeps us from buying a new travel trailer again right now.
IMASAP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, passport