Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 11-23-2019, 03:59 PM   #1
Roadhazard

Possible frame problem

Really don't know where to start with this but here goes.
I have a 2014 Outlander 316RL bought in 2015 and while waxing it this fall I noticed a crack in the outside wall at the upper corner of the passenger side slide. This crack went from the corner of the slide opening all the way up the seam where the roof meets the sidewall at a 45 degree angle and is about 10 inches long.. I checked inside the camper and it to was cracked.
About a month after we purchased the trailer it was noted that the main frame was one of the faulty frames supplied by Lippert. A Lippert tech came out and removed the axles and welded an 8 foot, 2 X 2 inch square tube to the frame to strengthen the axle area. Evidently the frame would bend down due to the length of the trailer.
So now after having the trailer for 4 years this problem rears it's ugly head. I contacted Keystone and explained the situation....sent numerous photos of the crack. To make a long story short they have refused to even look at the thing due to it be so far out of warranty. Really? 3 thee years.
My question is has anyone else had similar situation? I'm not sure what to do next. Is it something I shouldn't worry about? Or just drive it till it breaks in half? Or even claim it on my insurance?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Roadhazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 04:38 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

I'm sure Keystone has divested themselves of the problem....have you contacted Lippert? It's their frame, a known faulty frame they acknowledge and one they sent a Lippert tech to repair...which has proven faulty as well. I wouldn't be worrying about Keystone...that's a lost cause, but Lippert is where I would hang my hat.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 05:24 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

I agree with Danny. Dig out all your old documentation about the frame issues and anything Lippert did to repair it. Contact Lippert and discuss the problem with them using "open ended comments" so they have to say "something to confirm your comment"... hopefully they will pick up the ball and take care of this. If not, then maybe your state consumer affairs office ???

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 06:33 AM   #4
Roadhazard

Thanks Danny. Keystone suggested that I bring the Outback to the dealer and have him look at it...not sure what that will do but will have it looked at on the 2nd of Dec. I will also give Lippert a call to see what they can do. Thanks for the recommendation.
Roadhazard is offline   Reply With Quote