Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-09-2019, 03:36 PM   #1
HBuff

Hot Water Heater

I need some help guys. I have a 2017 Keystone Passport Grand Touring Ultra-Lite 2400BHWE. The hot water heater comes on but then shots down. It will not maintain the flame. This started in the middle of a camping trip. It had worked for two days then stopped. Any ideas?

As always thanks for all suggestions.

Henry
HBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 05:01 PM   #2
papachaz

going to be captain obvious, but you do have propane, right? something else I'd look at, is it even attempting to light? the spark mechanism is 12 volt, is the battery good? I'm not sure how much juice it takes to make the sparker work, but if the battery is getting low, it may not be producing enough energy to work
papachaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 06:44 PM   #3
GHen

Try turning off the propane, releasing the pressure, tighten back up and “slowly” open the valve back up. That may eliminate a problem with the regulator.
Does your furnace, stove top and refrigerator work on propane?
GHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 06:07 PM   #4
HBuff

The stove furnace and refrigerator are all working fine. Just the hot water on gas?
HBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 07:43 PM   #5
NH_Bulldog

For these units, I believe the basic principal of operation is igniter heats up, gas valve opens and gas is ignited, flame contacts thermocouple which keeps gas valve open and flame going. If thermocouple is bad or not in right location, gas valve thinks there is no flame and shuts to avoid pumping raw gas into unit and possibly leading to explosion as your neighbor walks by with a lit cigarette. I would consider looking at the thermocouple first if unit ignites but doesn’t keep running. Maybe a loose wire, or corroded wire connection? If nothing obvious, have a pro look at it so you don’t take unnecessary risks with safety of the family
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab 4x4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 12:10 PM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

Depends on brand, some use the speaker as a flame sensor. Gas valve opens first then sparker. If it lights and shuts right off the sensor or board is bad.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 01:56 PM   #7
KC10Chief

My water heater has a couple of reset buttons on it. Black rubber button looking things. I'd check those out too. I've had to reset one before.
ProPride 3P-1400 hitch.
KC10Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 07:50 AM   #8
kevbig

Sounds like you have a dirty thermocoupler. They can be cleaned with some emery cloth. Or get a new thermocouples. I would try cleaning it first.
kevbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 02:40 PM   #9
tdcolby

We had a similar issue with our Passport. It was a "computer "part that went bad & needed to be replaced. Not something we could repair, not that we didn't try. No hot water for a weekend trip. It was like tent camping all over again!
tdcolby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 07:52 AM   #10
larryflew

Most Keystones have the Suburban brand of WH and there are several PDF troubleshooting manuals out there. Trailer brand doesn't matter when your looking for the manual.

One link http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...ox_PM-RezcziFj
Old 06-23-2019, 03:34 PM   #11
Nindayaa

I had the same problem. After weeks of reading and troubleshooting, I ended up replacing my junk Suburban ignition control board with a Dinosaur Electronics UIB64 Ignition Board. Works for Suburban and Atwood. I set the jumpers on the board based on the instructions and plugged the power back in. Everything has been better than new ever since. Even has LED lights to indicate the board's status. I'm not an electrician but it was actually pretty easy.
Nindayaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 08:01 AM   #12
hihousej

I just went thru this with my passport. It was the computer board at the water heater. The local dealer handed me a new one, I installed it in 2 minutes and that fixed it.
hihousej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 10:02 AM   #13
pitman44

Has this been resolved? IF not, can you post the brand and model of your water heater?
pitman44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heater, hot water heater, water, water heater