Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-16-2020, 04:19 PM   #41
CedarCreekWoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Woody, I think LHaven said his lifted using the leveling system. Am I amiss?
Sorry for the confusion, I just meant it not a solution for many people as they don't have that type of leveling system.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 05:29 PM   #42
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by markcee View Post
Great in theory and I gave it a go myself last month. Unfortunately the break down lane on I 70 was angled is such a way that I could not get the jacks to deploy (Ground Control TT system), even in manual mode. 'Angle too severe' or some similar message displayed
Yeah, I got that message myself, though something I did eventually get me around it (maybe playing with the other side, or boosting only a single corner jack). Strangely, I've never gotten that message on some of the most whacked out, off-level campsites I have ever ended up being assigned.

I know my own limitations. Any terrain on which my levelers won't do the job is terrain on which I probably don't want to do the job either. That's what I pay road service for.
LHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 07:07 PM   #43
flybouy
Site Team

Most road shoulders I've seen are graded away from the road for drainage. I had one flat on a road years ago (before my DeWalt cordless impact) no shoulder. I was glad I had the Trailer Aid Plus. Broke the nuts loose, drove the good tire up, and had the flat off in under 2 min. It was wet and I was happy to have to lay under the trailer.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 07:24 PM   #44
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
Yeah, I got that message myself, though something I did eventually get me around it (maybe playing with the other side, or boosting only a single corner jack). Strangely, I've never gotten that message on some of the most whacked out, off-level campsites I have ever ended up being assigned.

I know my own limitations. Any terrain on which my levelers won't do the job is terrain on which I probably don't want to do the job either. That's what I pay road service for.
If the 20 pound weight of the jack is an issue, I can understand not adding it to the already at/over weight trailer cargo... On the other hand, there are at least 10 comments in posts through the years from members with Good Sam, AAA, Foremost and other "roadside service plans" who have reported that when they called, asking for help, their "roadside service provider" has "sadly informed them that they do not provide coverage in that area, but would be happy to reimburse up to the policy limit if the member would save the receipts for the service call"..... Essentially, they relied on their roadside service to save them and, when the chips were down and they needed help, their service didn't include the area where they were located....

Being self sufficient, even if you never intend to use it, can save your "hiney" when "Superman can't find a phone booth to make his change from Clark Kent".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 08:28 PM   #45
blubuckaroo
Gone Traveling

I can understand carrying a jack.. Why not, it only weighs around ten pounds. But, unless your is a single axle, the normal way is to drive the other wheel onto a block.
I've never needed a jack.
blubuckaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 03:25 AM   #46
RWRiley

Quote:
Originally Posted by blubuckaroo View Post
I can understand carrying a jack.. Why not, it only weighs around ten pounds. But, unless your is a single axle, the normal way is to drive the other wheel onto a block.
I've never needed a jack.
I have split axles. I don't think it will work in my case.
RWRiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 03:34 AM   #47
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWRiley View Post
I have split axles. I don't think it will work in my case.

I think it will work to drive the wheel that the tire is holding air onto a high enough block so you can change the other wheel on your split axle camper SOMETIMES. If the surface is totally flat. I think it would a tad tough to drive up onto a piece of cribbing high enough to make it work but they do make ramps like the Camco Trailer Aid that will lift one wheel over 4" and the other is suspended for changing in theory. I have one and know it doesn't quite get the job done every time depending on where the trailer is (level or uneven surface, etc). I have a Camco Trailer Aid and a 5 ton bottle jack and cribbing so I know I can get the trailer up in any situation.https://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-21-...SABEgLqHfD_BwE
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 04:19 AM   #48
flybouy
Site Team

The Trailer Aid Plus has a pad on top that adds 1"more lift. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-Tra...ellow/29764294
Old 08-17-2020, 05:11 AM   #49
BrooksFam

Speaking of lug wrenches, I carry this, telescopes for a breaker bar, works great.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Telescopi...23mm/131320004

https://www.amazon.com/Coyote-Monkey...%2C198&sr=8-16
Attached Images

EAZ-Lift Recurve R3 #1200

BrooksFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 07:43 AM   #50
Northofu1

I have the self leveling system, if on solid level ground I would and have (once) used it. I also carry a 6 ton jack and 2 stands in a milk crate. Jack sits upright stands make it stay that way. They also come in handy if a spring goes and need to raise axle.
I also have two sets of lego's and I carry 4 - 2" x 8" wood cribbing tripled for each leg pad. I use the Milwaukee 1/2" 18v impact gun and a complete set of sockets.
After you're stranded once you want to make sure. I have an 8 ton jack and two safety stands at home that I had to buy when stranded to try to repair broken spring on TT.
Good Luck.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 04:29 PM   #51
tonysr

I went to a junkyard and got me a jack that came out of a 90's GM 3/4 ton truck. It has a removable handle and it folds for easy storage. The jack has a 6"X6" base and it is a screw type jack with a half round cradle on it which fits perfect on the axle of the trailer where the springs mount. That is the strongest part of the axle and where the spindle is inside too. Now I'm going to hear that you're not supposed to jack on the axle, yes you're not anywhere on the axle but where the spring bolts are is OK because if it can stand to hold the trailer weight there without collapsing it can stand you jacking there high enough to take the tire off. Been doin this since my first trailer in 1972 and never bent an axle yet. So if you're going to jack there with a bottle jack make sure you get a cradle that fits on the jack and axle so it don't slip off. Doing it this way you only need to jack it up approx 8 inches to get the tire off the ground.
tonysr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 05:33 AM   #52
skids

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
It was wet and I was happy to have to lay under the trailer.
I am pretty sure that you left out the word "not" by mistake.
Old 08-18-2020, 03:25 PM   #53
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids View Post
I am pretty sure that you left out the word "not" by mistake.
I thought he was saying that he enjoyed having the trailer keep the rain off him.
Old 08-24-2020, 03:08 AM   #54
BrooksFam

This looks like a good option. A little expensive but when you are stuck on the side of the road, $$ are less important than having the right solutions.....

https://www.etrailer.com/Tools/Power...ALL620471.html
EAZ-Lift Recurve R3 #1200

BrooksFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 03:27 AM   #55
blubuckaroo
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooksFam View Post
This looks like a good option. A little expensive but when you are stuck on the side of the road, $$ are less important than having the right solutions.....

Thanks!
That's the best option I've seen.
blubuckaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 06:08 AM   #56
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooksFam View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by blubuckaroo View Post
Thanks!
That's the best option I've seen.
You might want to check the "lowest height measurement" before tossing one of these in your trailer... Many of these combination jack/jack stand devices are too tall to fit under a trailer axle when the tire is flat. Don't get a "false sense of security" that it'll work based on placing it under a fully inflated tire to jack the axle. If the tire is flat, you lose about 6-8 inches of height below the axle. And, if you're intentions are to jack from the frame, 20" maximum jack height will require substantial cribbing under the jack to raise the suspension enough to get an inflated tire on the axle/hub.

I'm not suggesting this "won't work" or "isn't an adequate tool"... Rather, I'm stating that it may not fit under your axle with a flat tire on it and it probably won't raise your trailer frame high enough to install an inflated tire unless you can raise the frame rail about 30" or so. That means pretty close to 10" of cribbing in addition to the 20" jack lift capacity.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 08-24-2020, 07:48 AM   #57
Laredo Tugger

A question about the lifting point(s) on the trailer. I recently had a full time host at a campground (who did some minor repairs on some of the trailers in the park) I stayed at that told me not to lift the trailer on the U bolts under the axle as that would affect the axle alignment. He said to raise on the equalizer assembly between the leaf springs.
Where is the correct lift point?
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 08:01 AM   #58
JRTJH
Site Team

I've NEVER heard of anyone "recommending" using the equalizer as a jacking or lifting point for trailer suspensions. Many types of equalizers are actually a complex component made up of steel/aluminum plates, rubber bushings, and other components that can be easily damaged by "unwarranted lifting"....

If you "think about it" the U-bolts actually "support the entire trailer weight (except for the tongue/pinbox weight) all the time. Every time you tow, you subject those U-bolts to tremendous "stress" with every pothole, expansion joint, or bump that you hit. Using them "in a static configuration" to lift 1/4 of the suspension weight is nowhere near the stress placed on them by towing the trailer at 50MPH over any "well maintained road" .....

As for the equalizers: I value my CRE-3000 system far too much to "toy with that kind of foolishness" !!!!!

ADDED: The equalizer "rocks fore and aft" to equalize the axle weight as it shifts during towing. To "rely on a rocking platform" to provide a "stable surface on which to lift the trailer" ????? Sounds like an accident waiting to happen !!!!

If you do try it, don't get under the trailer, or for that matter, don't get close to the jack in case the equalizer shifts and "kicks the jack" out from under that rocking lift point.... First rule of jacking: Locate a stable, flat surface under which to place the jack.... The equalizer sure as heck ain't stable or flat .... YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 08-24-2020, 08:09 AM   #59
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laredo Tugger View Post
A question about the lifting point(s) on the trailer. I recently had a full time host at a campground (who did some minor repairs on some of the trailers in the park) I stayed at that told me not to lift the trailer on the U bolts under the axle as that would affect the axle alignment. He said to raise on the equalizer assembly between the leaf springs.
Where is the correct lift point?
RMc
This is one bit of advice I'd file away immediately into file 13!
I've jacked all types of trailers for the past 40+ years from between the u bolts on the axle with no problems.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 08:10 AM   #60
flybouy
Site Team

What John said. Think about this, the equalizer is a pivot point for the two spring packs. It would be foolish and dangerous to jack up a pivot point then remove a substantial amount of weight from one end of the fulcrum. That sounds like "hold my beer and watch this" you boob video moment to me.