Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Prospective Owners' Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-08-2020, 06:43 PM   #1
dnkpoint

Cedar Lined Closet

Hi! We are picking up our Alpine 5th wheel next week! It has a cedar lined closet - do these things smell very "cedar-y"? Anyone noticed the smell or if the smell dissipated quickly? It's the only thing I'm a little iffy on and I'm not afraid to pull the cedar out if need be. This will be our second time around with a Keystone - had a Laredo before and loved it!
dnkpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 08:17 PM   #2
moore

Smell will eventually go away. I would remove, and replace panel. If you have pets or the smell is getting to you. Cedar is very toxic to cats, and dogs. I removed panel, and replaced it.
moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 08:59 PM   #3
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnkpoint View Post
Hi! We are picking up our Alpine 5th wheel next week! It has a cedar lined closet - do these things smell very "cedar-y"? Anyone noticed the smell or if the smell dissipated quickly? It's the only thing I'm a little iffy on and I'm not afraid to pull the cedar out if need be. This will be our second time around with a Keystone - had a Laredo before and loved it!
My last 5th wheel advertised a "cedar closet" when actually it was "cedar looking" paneling not real cedar.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 03:21 AM   #4
CedarCreekWoody

People pay extra to get that cedar smell. They even make an aromatic oil to rub on and keep it strong. With that, or genuine red cedar, the aroma will dissipate over time.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 03:53 AM   #5
notanlines

The smell will dissipate quickly, probably be all but gone in a year or so. If you want a little quicker and easier solution, use a 4" 3/8" nap roller and apply 2 coats of acrylic sanding wood sealer to the surface before you load things up. I'm not a fan of acrylic products as a whole other than for walls or house paint, but in this case the smell goes away almost immediately and it dries very quickly. Another solution would be two coats of acrylic Kilz. Then you have a nice, bright surface in the closet.
Just something to think about.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 07:48 AM   #6
chunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
The smell will dissipate quickly, probably be all but gone in a year or so. If you want a little quicker and easier solution, use a 4" 3/8" nap roller and apply 2 coats of acrylic sanding wood sealer to the surface before you load things up. I'm not a fan of acrylic products as a whole other than for walls or house paint, but in this case the smell goes away almost immediately and it dries very quickly. Another solution would be two coats of acrylic Kilz. Then you have a nice, bright surface in the closet.
Just something to think about.
Maybe maybe not The Itasca Horizon motorhome had cedar lined closet and clothes hamper but I suspect that Winnebago used good quality cedar not a .001mm veneer. The cedar smell was pleasant not overbearing.
2019 Harley Davidson Heritage Classic 114 (the toy)
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote