Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-14-2020, 12:14 PM   #1
Tdesrosiers

Power awning question

Our previous camper had a manual awning. I used stabilizers which prevented it from flapping around too much. Lasted 12 years before succumbing to uv damage. Left it out in wind and rain. We now have a passport 239ml with a power awning. At the walk through we were told to retract it when it’s windy or raining. It really flaps around even in a light breeze. So my question is, just how much wind can it handle? Obviously it’s easy to retract, but I’d like to know just how much it can take. Same for rain. I leave it pitched one one side. Thanks for your thoughts.
Tdesrosiers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 12:54 PM   #2
CedarCreekWoody

I don't push my luck with either unless I'm right there to monitor them.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 01:07 PM   #3
Keystoned

When you feel it moving the trailer, bring it in for sure. Depends how wimpy it is made as it could be bent and become inoperable. Don't leave the campsite with it extended because you never know...
Old 06-14-2020, 02:02 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

How much wind can it handle? I don't know because I've never tried to find out. The first time I hear it "pop" inside or I see the awning arms get pushed down then up....it comes in. Trying to find the "breaking point" wouldn't be wise in my opinion. My old units with fixed, manual awnings I just used the tie downs with the screw in anchors. They were much more stable in wind but much more inconvenient.

As far as rain I pitch it to one side as well but if it is going to be stormy (with wind) I bring it in. Too many things can happen in a storm and I don't want to be outside, at dark thirty, in a frog strangler trying to undo a tension knob to level it up and bring in. You can use the auto dump feature but I just don't like it. When it decides to dump and pops, I jump out of my skin. Anyway, I worry about the weight of the water on the top stretching it before it decides to dump. JMO
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 06:21 AM   #5
brlr2000

Unfortunately, but mine was just recently collapsed during when a dust devil came out of nowhere (Arizona). had to cut fabric to remove, and dismantle awning arms. Still trying to locate the correct replacement parts and fabric from Dometic.
Old 06-15-2020, 06:39 AM   #6
Keystoned

One time, decades ago, I left the awning up one night and an ice storm weighed it down to the point of breaking the main beam. I had to cut the material, disassemble the parts and throw them in the campground dumpster before doing anything that day...
Old 06-30-2020, 06:02 AM   #7
Keystoned

It was y2k...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img351.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	207.1 KB
ID:	28368  
Old 07-15-2020, 05:15 PM   #8
Bill-2020

I have a 239 also - A light summer breeze seems to be ok, but I wouldn't go away from the camper without retracting it. I've seen similar power awnings flapped up and over on the roof from heavy gusts of wind. I almost wish I had an older manual awning that can be tied down. They are so much more durable. (found this by searching for 239 awning problems, as I'm in the middle of a hardware repair on my new one already)
Bill-2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 05:38 PM   #9
roadglide

I used ratchet straps on each side one secured to picnic table and a stake for the other side to secure my Auto awning. It got windy today the awning head together a lot better then I expected . I’m comfortable strapping on each end.
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 06:27 AM   #10
Tdesrosiers

[QUOTE=Bill-2020;400626]I have a 239 also - A light summer breeze seems to be ok, but I wouldn't go away from the camper without retracting it. I've seen similar power awnings flapped up and over on the roof from heavy gusts of wind. I almost wish I had an older manual awning that can be tied down. They are so much more durable. (found this by searching for 239 awning problems, as I'm in the middle of a hardware repair on my new one already)[/QUOTE

I miss our old manual awning. That thing was rugged. The power awning saves all of 1 minute to extend or retract, and isn’t worth it!
Old 07-16-2020, 06:30 AM   #11
Tdesrosiers

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadglide View Post
I used ratchet straps on each side one secured to picnic table and a stake for the other side to secure my Auto awning. It got windy today the awning head together a lot better then I expected . I’m comfortable strapping on each end.
That sounds like a good idea, but what about retracting it in heavy rain? It seems that everyone recommends retracting it, rather than just having a good pitch and leaving it out.
Old 07-16-2020, 07:03 AM   #12
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdesrosiers View Post
That sounds like a good idea, but what about retracting it in heavy rain? It seems that everyone recommends retracting it, rather than just having a good pitch and leaving it out.
I will tilt our electric awning to drain on one side if a gentle steady rain sets in AND I'm not going anywhere. "Heavy" rain, al least in my experience is typically accompanied by gusty winds (think thunderstorms) and that calls for retracting the awning.

The one downside with locking the awning with one side down is that if the wind picks up then you are standing in the rain loosening up the arm locks to retract it.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 08:36 AM   #13
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I will tilt our electric awning to drain on one side if a gentle steady rain sets in AND I'm not going anywhere. "Heavy" rain, al least in my experience is typically accompanied by gusty winds (think thunderstorms) and that calls for retracting the awning.

The one downside with locking the awning with one side down is that if the wind picks up then you are standing in the rain loosening up the arm locks to retract it.
My Carefree awning had a series of 6 settings on each arm for pitch, as long as there were no more than 3 settings difference between arms you could leave them & retract/extend just fine. I set mine at at slight angle away from the door for rain run off & as steep a pitch as needed & never touched the setting again. Always retract if leaving, even for a few minutes, & never left out out overnight.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 10:30 PM   #14
lawdog130

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadglide View Post
I use ratchet straps also and have not had any issues. I made two 2' long stakes out of angle iron and drive them in the ground to attach the straps to.

2015 Passport 2810BH
2015 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
lawdog130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 06:34 AM   #15
roadglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdog130 View Post
I use ratchet straps also and have not had any issues. I made two 2' long stakes out of angle iron and drive them in the ground to attach the straps to.
With a ratchet strap hook I throw over the square tubing very carefully pull it tight too the top it will fit right over the tubing . To release the snag hook Give the scrap quick snap and the hook pops off.
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 09:02 AM   #16
Cometman

We don't push it. If it starts flapping around we bring it in. If you are inside the TT and it moves the trailer, bring it in.
Cometman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, power