Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 08-07-2016, 02:46 AM   #1
Nomads in the making

New Nomads

Newby Alert!, The wife and I have decided to take to plunge into RV-ing, we just purchased a Tow Vehicle which is a 2007 F350 King Ranch 4x4 crew cab 6.0 with 4:10's and 90k in miles, I just had it bulletproofed, installed new heads, glow-plugs and harness, new High Pressure Oil Pump, IPR, dummy plugs etc. What we did other than stock is new exhaust Magnaflow 4" turbo back and 5" from the cat delete. Bullet proof egr cooler and a remote air/oil cooler from bulletproof. Installed blue spring kit, Wicked Wheel 2, SCT Livewire ts and Dry cold air intake from S&B along with a Sinister coolant filter. Garmin RV760LMT.

We have decided to go the Fifth-Wheel route and have narrowed our search to a 2012-2013 Keystone Raptor Toy-hauler. Looked at a 2010 yesterday that had limited use which we are considering. The unit has a 12 garage and is all original from the original owner. Here are our concerns, since the owner did not use the unit that often generator only has 36 hours on it and will not start. Likely bad gas, I've seen where they recommend not to rebuild the carb on the Onan 5500 but just replace it I am wondering why can't it be rebuilt or just cleaned unless it's a sealed unit? Also I am thinking there is a bunch of sediment in the tank, fuel pump and in-line filter that could be affected as well. Our other concern is that there is only one a/c and no a/c ducts or cooling in the garage which I plan to use as an office. It has a bunk over the garage which brings the ceiling down low for about a third of the garage. There is also a double power bunk at the rear. I noticed there appears to be no insulation in the floor area of the garage does that mean there is none in the walls in the garage? and lastly how difficult would it be to install a second a/c in the roof of the garage?

Thanks
Nomads in the making is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 04:37 AM   #2
notanlines

I can only assume that the unit has 50 amp service? At that point I wouldn't see a problem. Most Raptors we see have AC unit number 2 in the bedroom, not the garage. Central Florida probably has a fairly serious need for the unit in the bedroom. We winter in Clewiston and come March it gets turned on frequently. And generator wise, why not just pull the carb yourself and "take a peek?" Then you'll know. One other thing from a "know it all," I'll bet that unit is sitting on original China-bombs. Immediately tow that beast to a tire shop for new treads. Maybe a set of Sailuns or.....well a few good brands out there,. I'll let you do the research on here. And welcome to the forum!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 09:45 AM   #3
14george

to the fourm from W Va
Old 08-07-2016, 01:08 PM   #4
Tucker

From what I understand about your generator it is cheaper to buy a carb because the rebuild kit is just as if, not as expensive. Consider bringing it to a Onan servise shop.
As far as the garage I cannot believe that there are not A/C vents in the ceiling and a heat vent in the wall by the passage door to the inside of the coach.
The walls are insulated but, the floor is not. It is apparently a law that it cannot be built with insulation in the floor.
Possible tip: Your camper is mobile and find a foam insulator and meet him at a jobsite and have him foam it for you. MUCH cheaper that way since it is a lenghty process to set up and clean up afterwards on a small job like a camper.
Tucker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keystone raptor