Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-18-2010, 08:43 PM   #1
CnDouble

Washing and Waxing

I'm looking to pick your brains and see what everyone likes to use for a Wash, but ALSO a Wax ? Does one work better on the corrugated walls vs. the smooth side walls ? Let's share some of those cleaning tips as we all get set for another great summer of RV'ing.
CnDouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 03:45 AM   #2
Flyguy

Glad you mentioned it, my TT needs a good washing and when I do I use Borax (20 mule team) powder dilluted in warm water to wash the entire trailer including the roof, for a wax I use "Nu-Finish" (orange bottle) for everything except the roof, I only use Borax on the rubber roof and nothing else, works for me. Too bad your in So. Cal, I was thinking of pulling my TT by yours and saying NEXT!
Timbrens
Flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 08:31 AM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

For washing the RV, a mild detergent with a bit of Borax seems to do a good job. For waxing and polishing, I use the same orange bottle stuff, Nu-Finish, as Flyguy on the RV body. This also works to remove any black stripes eliminating the need to go out and purchase cleaners which are adverstised to do this job.
I have also used "marine" fiberglass waxes upon occasion but they are a bit more costly and really not sure if they are any better than Nu-Finish.
I use 303 Aerospace Protectant for the rubber seals around the slide and on any other vinyl or rubber to be found. Provides good UV protection and works great on gelcoat fiberglass.
Old 05-19-2010, 05:44 PM   #4
GBHRPS

For cleaning I use an RV Wash (don't know the brand) that was given to me by an old timer who sold his rig.

As far as wax is concerned, I use Mothers Carnuba Wax in the 8 inch round red and yellow tin. The stuff is absolutely amazing. It goes on easily and buffs up even easier, and best of all it leaves no powdery residue whatsoever. I use it on all of my antique cars as well, since it cleans up so easily around emblems, striping and door handles. With some waxes you have to work forever to get the residue off from around creases and hood mounted windshield washer nozzles, etc.
GBHRPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 09:03 PM   #5
CnDouble

Thanks for the help! Flyguy and Festus2 , I few guys at work swear by the Nu-Finish. Might have to put it to the test.

GBHRPS - I love to hear that Mother's doesnt give off the white powder. Being a clean freak, it drives me nuts having to go back with a toothbrush to give everything a once over when im done!

Thanks for the advice!

Jeff
Old 05-21-2010, 02:06 AM   #6
Ruffus

Smile Wax???

Man, nobody told me I'd have to wax this monster, maybe I should have bought a smaller 5ver.
Curt Q24 hitch for in bed puck system
Fulltimng.
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 07:21 AM   #7
Festus2
Site Team

I am sure there is a warning somewhere in the Owner's Manual about waxing and polishing. While vacationing, instead of lounging about in your reclining lawn chair with a cool one in your hand, you should be applying a little elbow grease and getting "this monster" all shined up!!!
Old 05-21-2010, 05:38 PM   #8
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffus View Post
Man, nobody told me I'd have to wax this monster, maybe I should have bought a smaller 5ver.
Just park it next to Flyguy and yell "NEXT". If that doesn't work try Gel Gloss. It works great. I have been using their house-hold product for years and when I saw they had one for RV's I tried it and love it.

As for the corrugated metal sides ... I had one for 12 years and never found an easy way to keep it clean and wore the paint thin in many places trying.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 08:47 PM   #9
CnDouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
Just park it next to Flyguy and yell "NEXT". If that doesn't work try Gel Gloss. It works great. I have been using their house-hold product for years and when I saw they had one for RV's I tried it and love it.

As for the corrugated metal sides ... I had one for 12 years and never found an easy way to keep it clean and wore the paint thin in many places trying.
Wow that's a lot of elbow grease! I'll be sure to have the kids well rested before we...er.. They tackle this project!
Old 06-18-2010, 06:07 PM   #10
slider

Got back a week ago from our first real trip in the TT (to Destin).

I wanted to go ahead and get the salt, etc off the camper so I washed and polished.

Bought a handy contraption from local WM, its a brush you hook a hose up to and after washing, you turn on the water to rinse (water comes thru the brush). A little heavy but saves times not having to swap between brush and hose - worked very well.

Anyway, washed with some Meguiars wash, then 303'ed the decals then did all sides with Nu Finish.

Not something I want to do often but it sure did shine up nice and it feels good to know I have some UV protection on the camper.

Thanks for the heads up on the Nu Finish, very easy to apply and looks great.
slider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 07:52 PM   #11
Flyguy

That's the same one that I bought from WM, but I didn't do as much as you did when I cleaned the TT, but then I wasn't around salt water with it either!
Timbrens
Old 07-10-2010, 12:16 PM   #12
Atfulldraw

I use the same WM brush for washing.

I started with the Nu Finish the other day -- the small part I did looks great!

The girlfriend was watching, so I suggested she could finish the rest of the trailer while I had a beer...

now I have one shiny spot on the trailer and a shiner.....
Atfulldraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:06 AM   #13
keeshag

Hi; We have always used Good Sam Soap. Be carefull though with how much you use. On our older camper I mixed it to strong and the color in the decals started to run down the side of the trailer. On the up side it will take off tree sap with no problem and your camper will look like new again.
keeshag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 03:33 PM   #14
linebiker

I used Nu Finish on the front cap of my rig and liked it. Get a kick from the directions..."the once a year car polish" but on back it says for maximum protection apply second coat in 30 days. So it is really a twice a year polish? Or twice in one month polish that is good for a year?

08 Raptor 299
06 Dodge 3500 Cummins Lone Star
B&W Companion 5th
linebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 09:41 AM   #15
hoffbrew

I have not personally waxed yet. For $200.00 there is a mobile RV wash/wax person that rolls around the Pismo Beach area, I have him do it once a year while I am camping, much easier on me and beers stay a lot colder!
I would like to tackle it once, but I have washed it before and I always say "I am not doing this again!"
2009 Club Car Golf Cart
2020 Ram 3500 Dually
(Reserved for new trailer)
hoffbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 04:20 AM   #16
johlms

How to clean a stained awning?

We bought a 291tg laredo last year and love. Every camper should come with an outdoor kitchen like this one. We have been doing alot of camping and the awning is getting stained from tree sap. I try to clean the awning as it rolls in with a striaght broom to get the big stuff, but know the under side(white) is looking bad. Any ideas?
johlms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 04:46 AM   #17
Flyguy

Let me refer you to this thread on our forum which deals with that issue: http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/sho...wning+cleaning I also have included a zip file from A&E awnings on how to clean them, hope this helps.
Attached Files
File Type: zip A&EAwningsTips&Tricks.zip (75.4 KB, 169 views)
Timbrens
Old 08-19-2010, 12:00 PM   #18
hoffbrew

I have noticed that my front decals on the cap are starting to fade a little, what would be the stuff to use on decals? What is this 303?
2009 Club Car Golf Cart
2020 Ram 3500 Dually
(Reserved for new trailer)
hoffbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 01:00 PM   #19
Flyguy

Here's a link to the product http://www.303products.com/shop303/i...protectant.cfm
Timbrens