Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-19-2023, 05:30 AM   #1
Bmiley

Light Switch Question

Good morning All

My Dad sold everything and is going full camper life. He bought a very mint condition 2007 Keystone Copper Canyon fifth wheel and is loving it. We found one switch that we can’t figure out what it operates. Please see the picture. Also the coaxial hook up in the bedroom is that for the antenna only and doesn’t receive the external cable? I appreciate all the help and wish you all the best. God Bless.

Blake
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A9DE5EE6-F34F-4493-9A5A-269A19BB5CD6.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	374.6 KB
ID:	43300  
Bmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 06:43 AM   #2
Max23

Looks like it's right beside the door? Possible it runs lights outside under the steps? Unsure, maybe someone else can help better.
Max23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 07:01 AM   #3
notanlines

What Max said. A fairly common light, and hard to see in daytime.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 07:10 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Since its an older trailer, probably 30A and some in that era had a switch to choose either Microwave or AC operation, you couldn't do both.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 08:12 AM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

A pic of the bedroom coax plate would help. Most campers of that Era had an anterior coax to connect cable in. Inside there would be a wall plate with a coax outlet and a pushbutton to choose between OTA antenna (requires button engaged to send 12vdc to antenna amplifier ) or disengaged to choose cable.

Typically there's also a wall plate with 2 coax connectors. For normal operation there is a short cable with a male coax connector on each end. This is connected to form a loop from one coax outlet to the other in order pass the signal thru. If you connect a satellite dish to the exterior coax connecter than that coax loop would be replaced with your satellite box.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 10:12 AM   #6
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Since its an older trailer, probably 30A and some in that era had a switch to choose either Microwave or AC operation, you couldn't do both.
My 5th wheel Cougar is even older and I never needed a switch; the main breaker would trip if both the A/C and microwave were running simultaneously. I connected the microwave outlet to an outside outlet that connects to the 15/20A power pedestal. Problem solved. Used a Marinco weatherproof outlet on the rear of the camper.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 11:19 AM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

I don’t have a switch either. But I’ve seen it so I thought I would put it out there

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 03-19-2023, 05:09 PM   #8
Bmiley

Thank you all for the replies. It doesn’t seem to operate any of the items listed. We will reach out to the Camper vendor and see if they have any further direction. Also thank you on the coaxial we have figured it out now.
Bmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 08:41 PM   #9
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmiley View Post
Thank you all for the replies. It doesn’t seem to operate any of the items listed. We will reach out to the Camper vendor and see if they have any further direction. Also thank you on the coaxial we have figured it out now.
You will find Keystone will not be able to help. Since the switch is adjacent to the door, suggest the outside light next to your door (the orange one) is most likely. I would check also to see if it turns on the cabin lights when the light fixtures are placed in the on position. If they are working, use the switch to see if they go off. Kind of a 3 switch deal. I have this in my camper and all campers I have owned.
Old 03-20-2023, 05:52 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Pull the cover off the switch and look at the wires. Are the "solid copper ROMEX" or are they "multistrand copper" ???

If it's ROMEX, chances are very good that it is a 120 VAC circuit and you should focus on those type components. If it's multistrand, then it's probably a 12 volt circuit and typically is a "light fixture"....

Most trailers from that era had "scare lights" on the front of the sidewalls. Some only on the curb side, some on both road and curb sides. They are the 8" round "dish like" lights mounted high on the sidewall, usually just aft of the front clearance light.

NOTE: Those light fixtures are notorious for leaking and quite often have corrosion on the bulb socket, so they quite often do not work or do burn through bulbs.... So verify that every light works before just "flipping a switch and determining that the switch does not operate that light"....

Nothing is more "self defeating" than spending hours, days or even weeks troubleshooting to find that the first inclination that it controls the main door step light (under the trailer) is what the switch controls, but the bulb was burned out, so all those hours were spend "chasing your tail and getting nowhere"....

Check the fixture for 12 volts and check the bulb for continuity.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 07:05 AM   #11
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Pull the cover off the switch and look at the wires. Are the "solid copper ROMEX" or are they "multistrand copper" ???

If it's ROMEX, chances are very good that it is a 120 VAC circuit and you should focus on those type components. If it's multistrand, then it's probably a 12 volt circuit and typically is a "light fixture"....

Most trailers from that era had "scare lights" on the front of the sidewalls. Some only on the curb side, some on both road and curb sides. They are the 8" round "dish like" lights mounted high on the sidewall, usually just aft of the front clearance light.

NOTE: Those light fixtures are notorious for leaking and quite often have corrosion on the bulb socket, so they quite often do not work or do burn through bulbs.... So verify that every light works before just "flipping a switch and determining that the switch does not operate that light"....

Nothing is more "self defeating" than spending hours, days or even weeks troubleshooting to find that the first inclination that it controls the main door step light (under the trailer) is what the switch controls, but the bulb was burned out, so all those hours were spend "chasing your tail and getting nowhere"....

Check the fixture for 12 volts and check the bulb for continuity.
We have what you are calling a "scare light" on the front passenger sidewall. We also have one on the back of our camper in addition to the orange step light by the door. Each has its own switch. Each of our four overhead cabin lights has its own switch and there is a switch on the fixtures as well which we leave in the on position as a couple are really hard to reach (height) and we use the rocker switches which are located with the outside light switches to turn them on/off. I have a label maker to label each.

On a Sunnybrook trailer we had several overhead lights in the cabin with switches on the fixture and had a rocker type switch like the OP posted and if you kept the light fixture switches in the on position you could turn them all on/off with the rocker switch next to the door.
Old 03-23-2023, 10:34 AM   #12
LERD

I'm curious. Did he buy this camper from Dad's camper outlet in Mississippi? That switch you're looking at powers the outside outlet that is up close to the awning. It's used for awning lights
LERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 11:25 AM   #13
wiredgeorge

OP hasn't logged on since 3/19, the date of the posting.
Old 03-23-2023, 01:46 PM   #14
LERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
OP hasn't logged on since 3/19, the date of the posting.
Ok. It just looks like the camper I just traded in
Old 03-23-2023, 02:06 PM   #15
chuckster57
Site Team

If yours is the same year and model, then the question is answered. That switch was for a 120VAC outlet up high by the awning roller tube?

Old 03-23-2023, 07:10 PM   #16
LERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
If yours is the same year and model, then the question is answered. That switch was for a 120VAC outlet up high by the awning roller tube?
Yes, that is correct

Tags
light