Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 01-27-2023, 09:10 AM   #1
wiredgeorge

winnie! Another clean green machine

The materials used in this (currently) 108 mile range beast? Go green or you are just plain mean! Biodegradable counter tops? Really? Best use coasters when you set down that drink!

Chilewich® (recycled cork-rubber) flooring
Paperstone® window frames
WinnSleep® mattress system
Plant-based seat coverings
Biodegradable acrylic countertops
Adjustable lights to minimize light pollution
Woolen appliques to improve insulation and sound-proofing

https://camperreport.com/winnebago-electric-rv/
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 09:56 AM   #2
dutchmensport

Not for me .... too small.
Old 01-27-2023, 10:13 AM   #3
wiredgeorge

It makes me feel good to know that everything will be made of recycled plastic coke bottles.
Old 01-27-2023, 01:10 PM   #4
jim1

GO green! ya right so we can replace everything every few years. A couple of years ago a few major wire manufactures decided to go green by using a plant based wire insulation on our primary and secondary underground cables. Good idea? Not, the cover was made with a plant base soya blend. Guess who really enjoyed it? Every rodent known to man. Still causing issues. No thanks!
Retired-Lovin' 7 Saturdays a week!!
jim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 01:38 PM   #5
Max23

Good thing your taking your camper with cuz at 100 miles per charge (in perfect conditions) your never gonna get anywhere!!!!!
Max23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 08:47 AM   #6
linux3

About as stupid as the Ford F150 Lightning that has a 78 mile range when pullig a 5K lb TT.

Major companies actually spend development money on these things.
How Strange.
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 10:17 AM   #7
Max23

its the things they don't tell you that sucks in people. My son who is a GC, uses his truck for construction purposes was looking at the lightning to try n lower his fuel costs. Well, he happened to know the salesman at the dealership who was very honest with him. Told him, they only get the advertised "up to" in perfect conditions. Not to hot, not to cold, no wind etc etc. Told him that pulling trailers as he does with the weather around here, he'd be lucky to get 50 miles on a charge. To bad there's not more honesty with these companies.
Old 01-28-2023, 12:22 PM   #8
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max23 View Post
its the things they don't tell you that sucks in people. My son who is a GC, uses his truck for construction purposes was looking at the lightning to try n lower his fuel costs. Well, he happened to know the salesman at the dealership who was very honest with him. Told him, they only get the advertised "up to" in perfect conditions. Not to hot, not to cold, no wind etc etc. Told him that pulling trailers as he does with the weather around here, he'd be lucky to get 50 miles on a charge. To bad there's not more honesty with these companies.
Same with rv & truck manufacturers, they advertise the most useless numbers in order to sell.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 04:14 PM   #9
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Same with rv & truck manufacturers, they advertise the most useless numbers in order to sell.
You think that 108 miles under perfect conditions MAXIMUM is a selling point. The winnie folks said they were working on increasing range; what if they get the range up to 162 miles which is a 50 percent increase? Since no one ever drives on a perfectly level road with a tail wind at 45 mph and the actual range is 80-90 miles for the new and improved version would that pull in all the green folk? How long does it take to charge and will it charge effectively in below freezing temps (Tesla has issues there)? What will battery life be and how long a life? What will a replacement cost and what is the disposal fee?
Old 01-28-2023, 04:18 PM   #10
notanlines

Word is that a replacement battery for a Lightning and like trucks will be north of $35K or so. Hmmmm
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 08:12 PM   #11
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Word is that a replacement battery for a Lightning and like trucks will be north of $35K or so. Hmmmm
I suspect that on a heavy duty chassis the battery would be substantially larger or perhaps more power once they have it developed. Since this only can drag that thing 108 miles tops, seems to me they are in the proof of concept stage and probably have the battery from the Lightning in use with a big brother in development plans. Dunno where this will go but those batteries don't last forever, will be a challenge to recycle or dispose of properly and EV time isn't quite on hand for an RV.
Old 01-29-2023, 03:54 AM   #12
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
I suspect that on a heavy duty chassis the battery would be substantially larger or perhaps more power once they have it developed. Since this only can drag that thing 108 miles tops, seems to me they are in the proof of concept stage and probably have the battery from the Lightning in use with a big brother in development plans. Dunno where this will go but those batteries don't last forever, will be a challenge to recycle or dispose of properly and EV time isn't quite on hand for an RV.

YEAR 2070 (Government spokesman at press conference) … “due to the environmental impact of EV battery waste and disposal, the climate czar has decided ( checks notes)…we ( you) …will all be switching to Horse and buggy….and yes we are aware of the vast oil reserves discovered in North America recently but unfortunately we dismantled our refineries years ago……..we plan on selling that oil to China as they still have internal combustion engines in use….…..again we want to thank the czar for taking the time to fly in on his jet this morning ”………. “ we won’t be taking questions today… thank you ”…….( reporters shouting questions).
Old 01-29-2023, 04:43 AM   #13
jxnbbl

Quote:
Not that I'm against solar/electric vehicles/etc. But the idea of them being the silver bullet is crazy. I installed solar at my house which has been a great 'feel good decision' as I basically have not paid an electric bill and have 'free heat/ac' from April to November. Feel good in that the payback for that investment is something like 11 years, but the big question is what happened in 25-30 years when the panels need to be replaced. I don't think there is a solution to the recycling problem.
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 08:05 AM   #14
Max23

Agreed, I'm not against electric vehicles either, I believe they have their place. For parents who just need to run after kids school, soccer, whatever that looks like. For big city people who have a car but never leave their 20 mile area of town etc. etc. However, for car mfgs to say, by 2035 we will no longer be making gas powered cars, forcing electric on people in more rural areas that it just won't work for is absolutely idiotic. For some reason our country has moved so far to the cart before the horse theory it is just unnerving. No long term or responsible thinking goes into anything anymore. It's all just shoot from the hip because it looks good on paper today. Make a selection of everything like we always have in the past and move forward with what ALL people want and use. It is so frustrating to see the brainwashing of today. But, we as a people elect it!!! Because of the brainwashing that has happened over the years while we sat by and were really unaware of what was happening until its about to late. Glad I'm the age I am. Feel terribly sorry for my grandchildren. Oh, well, there is my rant for the month. Sorry, as it has absolutely nothing to do with camping. LOL . Well, for anyone not buying the new EV camper anyway. ahhahahah.
Old 01-29-2023, 09:38 AM   #15
vampress_me

Just once, I wish one of these electric trucks (or better yet since it would be more applicable) this electric camping van would be taken up the mountain through the switchbacks on Hwy 14 west of Sheridan, WY. How far would it get before running out of battery? 10 miles? 15? To me, that would be a real world test of what you can encounter driving around the US.

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 09:58 AM   #16
linux3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampress_me View Post
Just once, I wish one of these electric trucks (or better yet since it would be more applicable) this electric camping van would be taken up the mountain through the switchbacks on Hwy 14 west of Sheridan, WY. How far would it get before running out of battery? 10 miles? 15? To me, that would be a real world test of what you can encounter driving around the US.
https://www.autoweek.com/news/indust...electric-cars/
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 05:23 PM   #17
Max23

Was I wrong, is there someone with forward thinking left out there?
Old 01-29-2023, 08:08 PM   #18
vampress_me

Quote:
Originally Posted by linux3 View Post
That doesn’t answer my wish. That is a symbolic gesture by a state that would have to spend millions on chargers that would cost more than they would ever bring in. An electric car in Wyoming (other than possibly running around town in Cheyenne or Jackson) would be….interesting, let’s say. Somehow, I do not believe the 60+ mph winds the state regularly gets, the -7°F that Laramie is currently sitting at, and mountainous roads are all that conducive to electric vehicles. Why should a state like that have to spend money on chargers if they don’t want to? Sorry, I will get off my soapbox now. Everyone having to accommodate EVs is just a sore point to me.

ETA - came across this article about EVs in “real world use”. I especially love the third one, the guy who documented his trip from Detroit to Memphis. https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/r..._M3K0cP4eJoDXA

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 04:09 AM   #19
notanlines

Lynette, those articles are certainly eye-openers! On our trips from Memphis to St Paul usually my biggest worry if finding fresh coffee along the way. All those drivers had major worries from start to finish.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 04:24 PM   #20
WDPatterson

Quote:
The materials used in this (currently) 108 mile range beast? Go green or you are just plain mean! Biodegradable counter tops? Really? Best use coasters when you set down that drink!

Chilewich® (recycled cork-rubber) flooring
Paperstone® window frames
WinnSleep® mattress system
Plant-based seat coverings
Biodegradable acrylic countertops
Adjustable lights to minimize light pollution
Woolen appliques to improve insulation and sound-proofing

https://camperreport.com/winnebago-electric-rv/
Cotton is plant-based. Lots of fibers and fabrics are made with cotton. One can only surmise that Winnebago has begun using semantics to sell to the greenies. What a sad day.
WDPatterson is offline   Reply With Quote