Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 08-17-2022, 03:11 PM   #21
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
I think real weights and knowing how much people really load into these things can be very educational. My personal experience and the experience of many people i know, tells me the real world cargo of the average camper is between 1-2k lbs. As I stated, i would love to see weight tickets on all these maxed out RVs. I think it would be very interesting to know how people got to that point. At no point did I say this is what I have so you should be good. At no point did I say you will never load more than this. I simply said your numbers MAY not be as bad as some will speculate. Nothing in that statement says you’re good to go.

MAY- used to indicate possibility or probably.

Your opinions are that listing worst case scenario is the only information that is valid and all that should be provided. Then you jump on and disagree with anyone who provides any other information. As I stated, nothing I have posted is not true or inaccurate. You may not agree with it, but I don’t agree with your opinion on the subject either. I guess what they say about opinions is true.

These aren't opinions; the OP is overweight with the addition of only the pin weight of the DRY trailer before he ever starts...without a hitch by his own admission/scaling. So lets say he starts -300. By the way he worded his post he knows, as do most folks, he is going to be overweight...fact not opinion. Adding people/gear to the truck or anything in the trailer only makes that bad situation worse...that is a fact.

Opinions? Here are a few; "You will be over your GVWR, I doubt you’ll be over your axle rating." // "I get that, but giving the impression that they will be way heavy and there isn’t anything they can do about it isn’t good either." // " he could possibly get that high, but I also let him know that he may be well below that as well." // "I pointed out it MAY not be that bad."

"If you’re not comfortable with being over GVWR and the little sticker on the door, get a 1 ton." This comment came after describing situations where you think people run over gvwr and are seemingly OK with it. The comment could be viewed as a challenge, or endorsement of the practice, to the OP (opinion). // "I pointed out it MAY not be that bad. We can speculate high, low, or anywhere in between." Again, no one in the truck and the OP is overloaded by 300lbs. "May" not get "that" bad? What's bad? Or BAD? It's unimportant and irrelevant...over payload is over payload. and something you seem to be encouraging...for a new owner. Not opinion, your words.

Advising someone of the amount of gear you carry in a particular sized trailer if theirs is close is good; many folks have no idea of how much "stuff" is in the trailer. On the other hand it is meaningless since they have no idea what you carry or how you camp...you know nothing about them either. Concentrating on the questions a new owner has, particularly when they already know the answer to the weight related ones, bear realistic answers and not lots of commentary that leads them down a dozen rabbit holes and just confused them.
Old 08-17-2022, 03:16 PM   #22
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
This is a moot point with regard the OP situation. He is overweight before he starts - his numbers. Encouraging him that he can "tow within the trucks limits" is irresponsible. Period.
Wow, you guys just don’t quit. Now you’re putting words in my mouth and saying I encouraged him to tow overweight. Please point out where I did that. At no point anywhere in this thread did I say you will be fine, you can do it, you’re good to go, many people do it so can you. I simply stated his pin weight MAY not be as bad as some state, here’s an example of mine. Never said here’s what my weights are, yours will be the same, if yours are more your an idiot and taking too much crap. Why can’t you guys accept someone who is providing his real world info as just that, real world info. It’s just as relevant to what his pin weight MAY end up being as 24% of GVWR. I don’t recall saying you don’t need to go to the scales, just use my numbers to calculate. Just curious, have any of you ever given an example based on your experiences! You guys crack me up, where do you find all those horse with such long legs?
Old 08-17-2022, 03:45 PM   #23
meaz93*

And did you mention doing all this with a half ton?-lol.....I mean, umm, err, 1/2 ton towable TT> no?Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20191101-102045_Facebook.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	41240
Old 08-17-2022, 03:49 PM   #24
chuckster57
Site Team

OP has not replied since first post, this thread is closed.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Closed Thread

Tags
tow, tow vehicle