Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 08-02-2018, 09:12 AM   #1
Jmongeau

Angry Dog Odor

I purchased a great looking well maintained 14 F250 SD. Only one problem, previous owner must have had his dog in it 24-7. Dealer promised to get the smell out, well you can imagine how that has gone. They have even removed the seats and cleaned the carpets, ran ozone on it twice etc. Any additional tricks?
Jmongeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 09:17 AM   #2
MarcS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmongeau View Post
I purchased a great looking well maintained 14 F250 SD. Only one problem, previous owner must have had his dog in it 24-7. Dealer promised to get the smell out, well you can imagine how that has gone. They have even removed the seats and cleaned the carpets, ran ozone on it twice etc. Any additional tricks?
Yep. Get a dog! Lol. In seriousness though, it takes a lot to get pet and smoke odor out. We run ozone machine in vehicles for days trying to get those odors out. Some are successful, others not so much. Also, they need to shampoo every where. Take seats out and all.
Old 08-02-2018, 12:35 PM   #3
SC Dreamer

Don't forget the roof!
SC Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 05:38 PM   #4
Bisjoe

We had that problem with one car, and it never went away completely. What helped the most was to wipe down all hard surfaces with a good cleaner made for car plastics, then stamped all of the upholstery and carpet with a rented machine with upholstery attachment. I did it in a nice sunny day and left the windows open until dry. After that it smelled nice until it ever got wet, like on a really hard rain getting in and out dripping.

Bisjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 06:21 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Just some thoughts.....for those that have dogs and carry them in the vehicle. I detest smoke and have not, nor ever will, buy a car that had a smoker as an owner.

As far as pups....WASH them. Use nice smelling shampoo, shed control etc. We wash pup about every 7 days or so. Use Mane and Tail after washing and rubbing her down. We have no smell, and I have all my seats covered in Carhart seat covers to protect the seats/console etc. In addition, we have made custom covers for the console, blankets fit to the back seats for puppy etc. You don't have to leave, or buy, a vehicle with a "dog" smell - you just have to take care of business.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 02:47 AM   #6
Pull Toy

Have you cleaned the vent system, A/C ducting, and replaced the Cabin Air Filter?

Good Luck,

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 03:16 AM   #7
Dave W

A '79 F350 I bought a year old - smoke meant more scrub, scrub scrub. The odor finally went away after I pulled all of the a/c & heater ducting as that had smoke scum on it from circulating cabin air. My last truck - doggy odor. Again, much scrubbing and even on a rainy day, would still get a light whiff. Then there was that TT ......

Our two pups have a safety cradle and 'own' the cradle covered back seat but they have no odor as they get a bath every 7 to 10 days
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 05:51 AM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmongeau View Post
Seems simple enough to me, make the dealer stand behind his word. If the previous owner had wet dogs on the carpet or seats they may have to be replaced. Once water carries the smell into the foam of the seats or the backing of the carpet it's there forever.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 06:08 AM   #9
ciara_belle

I use a spray of water and a few drops of tea tree oil to kill dog smells in my rv and car etc.
(mind you no wet dogs are ever allowed on furniture and carpets - thats what dog beds etc are for )
ciara_belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 06:45 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

One old trick was to throw several fabric softener sheets under the seats. As they heat up from the truck being parked in the sun, they'll release "chemical stuff" that will help mask the other smells... Alternatively, throw a skunk in the back seat and use the remote to lock the doors. Every time the horn honks (from another thread) that skunk will "mask the dog smell" even more.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 06:50 AM   #11
Javi

I was once challenged with removing the smell of a rotting corpse from a 6 month old corvette... We replaced every inch of interior and still on a hot Texas day there was just a hint of the smell.. guy sold the corvette 3 times before someone finally kept it..
Old 08-03-2018, 06:59 AM   #12
ciara_belle

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Alternatively, throw a skunk in the back seat and use the remote to lock the doors. Every time the horn honks (from another thread) that skunk will "mask the dog smell" even more.....

bwahahahaa
ml
ciara_belle is offline   Reply With Quote