Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 08-01-2016, 07:10 AM   #1
bagged123

dually or not to dually

Ok, we're real close to "pull the chain" on purchasing the Montana 3711FL model. We're going back and forth between that and the Pinnacle, but the wife likes the kitchen better in the Montana, (We know who wins that battle lol).
Now the question is, I have upgrade my '16 GMC 2500 CC Duramax to a 3500, so the question is, Would a DRW really be needed for this big girl or would a SRW work for this one? I know the DRW add stability which is good, but this will also be my every day truck as well.

Does anyone have the 3711FL or the 3710FL models, if so what is your TV?
bagged123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 08:27 AM   #2
Tbos

I'd check out the Trailer Life towing guide. The DRW will give you extra capacity and margin. Let us know what you decide.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 11:09 AM   #3
Laredo291OH

Hi bagged123,

I just went thru the same decision, I decided on the SRW. I only have a TT right now, but we are planning on a 5ver next year. The 5ver's we are looking at are in the 12K-13K GVW range so the pin should be in the 2500-2600 lb range. I just took delivery of my 2016 3500HD CC, long bed, Duramax SRW on Saturday, the door sticker says it has a payload of almost 3500 lbs (it was like 3492, I don't remember the exact number right now). I think that Montana is 13200 shipping weight and about 16800 GVW, you will probably be over the payload of a SRW with that size of camper.
Laredo291OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 11:25 AM   #4
CaptnJohn

I was in the same situation with a F250 and over max payload with the current 5er. Had a dually in the past for a short time and will not have another. Don't even think of it in the garage and going to the grocery store or mall means parking in the back 40 even if you have a heavy load to tote. Parking spaces are tight with a regular truck ~ a trip to the doctor's office may require using 2 spaces. If it were not my daily driver I may have kept it an entire year.

Now, they are more stable but is unlikely to be needed. They do have a higher payload rating and if needed cannot be beat. I bought a 2016 F350 SRW 4X4 and it has a payload of 3434. A Montana is on our short list for the next 5er but only if the payload will work. I'm pulling 13K now with zero problems and another 2K will max me out but that is it. Already gave the news to wifey and she said "just don't show me what you don't want to pull".

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 02:32 PM   #5
Richard Noble

I have an '07 Duramax Durally. This is my third dually. I love the carrying capacity, the stability and the safety. I do not mind having to purchase two more tires. My first dually was a '66 Ford F250. I know, F250's do not come as a dually so I converted it. That was a project! It was one good looking truck.
Richard Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 02:42 PM   #6
bagged123

with so many models coming out now with front living rooms, the wife may see a different model she likes better and where a SRW 3500 may work. (doubtful she really likes the Montana kitchen setup, but..) . It's almost show season so we'll have to shop around and go from there. We're looking to upgrade in a year or so, but I looked at a 3500 SRW CC today and worked the dealer pretty good on the price and my 2016 GMC CC Duramax trade and was going to pull the chain on it, but I want to do some more research to make sure it'll pull what we want. the 3500 CC had a payload of #4k and able to pull 17,200 at the fifth wheel
bagged123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 02:55 PM   #7
Trent McCain

We purchased a '09 F350 SRW figuring it would handle any coach we wanted to pull. We sold the '08 Copper Canyon and bought a '04 DRV Mobile Suites. Wife, I and young daughter don't full time nor do we carry everything we own as we are weekend campers at best. I knew we would be close on payload. After rolling across the scales, we were close to 1,000 lbs over the 11.4 GVW. Rear axle was at 7k which is rated capacity, front axle was rated for 6k and was slightly under. I did install Toyo tires rated at 4k lbs each. We never felt unsafe with this truck. We wanted a long box, and I figured if we were overweight on a SRW, we might as well get a dually. My wife and I want to travel a little while we are young, and I wanted a truck that she would be comfortable driving. We purchased a new '16 F350 DRW 4x4. Loaded as before, we are under the new trucks 14k GVW by 1,600 lbs. Now we can carry water and a generator if we desire. We also do not use this truck as a daily driver, so being a dually doesn't bother us. I've only pulled the coach 15 miles to check the hitch adjustment, but can tell we made the right decision.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Trent McCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 03:21 PM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

I. Started with a SRW truck. Up graded to DRW in 2008. Best move I ever made. Had a rear tire let go in Mo. With 2100 pounds of kingpin on the axle. Easy pull over and put on spare. I shutter to think what would have happened with one whole side going flat.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 05:19 PM   #9
bsmith0404

This isn't even a question, DUALLY. I pulled our Apline (which has similar numbers to the Montana) once with the 2500 and knew immediately I needed a dually. 3,000 lbs on the pin in straight up dually territory. The 2500 dmax didn't squat real bad, but I had a serious tail wagging the dog feel, especially on grooved concrete highways. The dually is much more stable, you won't be pushing the weight limits of the tires, no fear of the what if I have a rear tire blow out, and it's just plain straight up a towing machine.

As for daily driver and parking it, every day. I don't worry about where I'm going or if it'll fit, it's the same size truck, just a little wider in the rear end (but not any wider than the mirrors). I always back into parking spots because I know if I can back it in, I can get it out, regardless of how someone else parks next to me. We've been to the Hoover Dam, Las Vegas, San Francisco, St Louis, Sacramento, phoenix, and LA. I've yet to find any place where I can't get the truck. I well admit the parking garage at Hoover Dam was a tight squeeze going through the loops to get to the different levels, but made it without touching a single curb.

Buy the truck you need for towing safely, you'll get used to the daily driver part.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 09:42 PM   #10
larry337

I'll just give you my numbers and you can go from there. The brochure pin weight on my fiver is 2200lbs. Loaded to camp with just my wife and a 90 lb dog I roll across the scales with a pin weight of 2600lbs and total weight on the truck at 3300lbs. I would say that pretty much maxes out a SRW. Your Montana would have a higher pin weight then my Cougar. As already stated the dually isn't any wider then the mirrors you already have. It's a big truck for sure but I'm glad I have it. My wife on the other hand hates driving it around town and she's a girl who likes trucks in general, her last daily driver was a V10 Excursion. To each his/her own.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

2017 Ford F350
2015 Cougar 337FLS
larry337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 03:59 AM   #11
rbev2308

Obviously I am biased with my dually since I wanted stability and the ability to move up in weights if I desired. Now my Alpine is about 14800 loaded on the scales and the extra spring makes my 2800 lb pin weight barely squat to where my air bags are more just for looks than a requirement. My parents have an Alpine 600 lbs lighter and I have pulled with their F250. I can feel the difference. My only concern on having a Front living as we looked at quite a few including yours if that Front livings typically have a higher percentage of pin weight cause of the two slides. Without getting into a long and lengthy weight conversation, not all 14,000 lb campers are equal. People think I can just air bags. Well the same amount of weight will still be sitting on the rear!!! Fifthwheelst.com is a good site with some good articles and calculators that may help ease your mind. I don't listen to charts as they are generic and I def do not listen to sales reps cause you can tow anything in their minds. One thing I will say if the Montana 3711FL is one of the ligher Front livings out there..Me personally, I would get the dually. less than 1K more in pricing and I just like having 3 tires instead of 1 left in the event of a blowout! Stability means more to me than where I go empty or park!
US Navy Retired Master Chief Petty Officer
Gryphon the 240lb American Mastiff
rbev2308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 07:00 AM   #12
Barbell

Having towed quite a few miles with both a SRW and a dually, both longbeds, I can say that although we never felt unsafe with the SRW, the dually is much more stable and has more power both in pulling and stopping. Total weight with the old truck was just over 22,000#. With the dually, about 1K more. While I don't use mine as a daily driver, it is no harder to park and navigate parking lots than the old truck was. In fact the new trucks have a tighter turning radius. I have had to move the dually from a parking space when the driver I parked next to could not open her door, but I don't park "in the back 40" with it either. Our Montana's shipping weight is near 15,000#, which made the SRW truck right on the borderline. With the dually, we have considerable extra capacity. One additional advantage; the DW will drive the new truck when she wouldn't drive the SRW. Its a no-brainer as far as we are concerned.
Barbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 10:02 AM   #13
1jeep

For years I owned nothing but SRW trucks, never wanted a dually until last year when our trailer arrived.
The new truck replaced our 2011 f250 diesel, both are/were long bed crew cabs, the new 2016 dually turns so much better! if you buy a ford opt for the heavy tow package which gives you the wide track front end.
Parking is no different than it was before, I have always parked far away. my truck is my daily driver 5 months out of the year, the other 7 I ride a motorcycle.

I have ZERO regrets getting a dually $1200 well worth spent!