Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 06-16-2015, 05:02 AM   #1
cheatham09

Dead battery.

A new 2015 3900 Alpine 2nd trip out at a campground, battery dead what causes a dead battery?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cheatham09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 05:16 AM   #2
Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheatham09 View Post
A new 2015 3900 Alpine 2nd trip out at a campground, battery dead what causes a dead battery?

Hi,

Please provide more information, ..... was the battery charged before the trip? Are you dry camping or plugged in at the camp ground? Have you checked the fluid level? How many batteries do you have?

Lee

1970 F250 Highboy 4x4
2013 Cougar 21RBSWE
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 05:42 AM   #3
cheatham09

I guess the battery was fully charged. We are on shore power We have one battery. Water level is full. When we turn off the battery disconnect then turn it back on the inverter runs then shuts off. Thought a bad battery

cheatham09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 06:29 AM   #4
jsmith948

Unplug the shore power and then check the battery voltage. When you first turn on the shore power, the converter fan will run and then shut off. If the battery requires a lot of charge, the converter fan might stay on longer. The fan only runs when the converter heats up.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 06:45 AM   #5
hankpage
Site Team

Why are you disconnecting the battery???? It should charge while towing or plugged into shore power. Is your TV not charging the battery??? Has the proper fuse or relay been installed in the TV???? Do you have an "INVERTER" that is running while towing to operate a residential type fridge?????
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 05:35 AM   #6
tank45

Same (sort of) issue here. Last used my fiver on a trip about 2 weeks ago, brought it home and cleaned it and then parked it. Went out yesterday and the batteries were almost flat (3volts left in each). They are new interstate batteries, topped off with water, and I can find nothing inside the unit that is turned on that would deplete them. I suppose I'll need to do a search here for putting in a disconnect switch, but in the meantime, to save the juice, do I disconnect both pos/neg connections of the batteries or just the negs?

Thanks
tank45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 06:15 AM   #7
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tank45 View Post
They are new interstate batteries, topped off with water, and I can find nothing inside the unit that is turned on that would deplete them.

Thanks
Even when everything is turned OFF, there are a couple of parasitic drains on your battery that you might not be aware of. One is the light in the stereo and the other are any sensors that are permanently wired to the battery - C02 for example.

Some Dometic fridges have a climate control system that is used to control the evaporation of water droplets when they form inside the fridge. This small, black climate control switch is located beneath the top decorative panel that houses the control panel. You pretty much have to bend over and look upwards to see it. If this switch is left on and you are not hooked up to power, it will draw 12V continuously.

I'd check your fridge to see if you have such a switch. Many people don't know that this switch exists or what it does.
Old 06-25-2015, 08:59 AM   #8
natedog_37

I am also having issues. Installed a kill switch so when in storage there is no battery drain.

Took it to storage Friday. Cam back Tuesday to get it for this weeks trip and the batter was dead.

Think I have a bad battery or it is not charging. Going to pull it and test it before our trip.
natedog_37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 10:54 AM   #9
tank45

Well fancy that.... I'll check for that fridge switch - thank you. Went to tractor supply and got a disconnect today. Just need to get a junction box to put it in, then I'll wire it up and not have the problem anymore. Thanks again.
tank45 is offline   Reply With Quote