Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-24-2023, 09:38 AM   #1
Braylon

Stain color

Have 2015 Cougar 337FLS High Country and trying to match stain colors for some trim. Have taken the trim to local hardware and big box stores and not able to match it directly. Been playing around with different stains and mixing them to get “close”.

Does anyone know what it would be called, or where to get it? Called Keystone and they were not much help.

Thanks
Braylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 10:58 AM   #2
bobbecky

You might be better off going to a real paint store, and bring a piece of wood you are wanting to stain along with a door or drawer that is stained already that they can use to match with.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 12:00 PM   #3
Braylon

That is what we done at the local hardware store, but they were not able to find anything to match. That is why I mix a couple to get close. No actual paint store, besides big box stores, nearby. Will have to plan ahead. Thanks.
Old 03-24-2023, 01:45 PM   #4
NH_Bulldog

Most of the trim in these is not real stained wood, it is photo-realistic contact paper, and as such is impossible to match with a stain. Also, the type of wood and rate of absorption of stain will affect the end result. Even if you could get your hands on a piece of matching factory trim, it isn’t going to be a perfect match due to production differences, age, UV fade, etc. At best, “close” is all you can hope for.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 02:01 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

I'd recommend taking a cabinet door that is the color you're trying to match and the piece of wood you're going to stain and have a "sit down at Sherwin Williams" with a "Pro" .... The "guy at Ace" or the "gal at Lowe's" likely won't have the same amount of experience and your results will show their level of knowledge.

Even if you get the "same specific contact paper by color number and grain" on a 5-10 year old trailer, the sun bleaching that has affected the old contact paper and what you now buy as "the same color" will not match. You're going to have to find a "pro that can work with the art form" who is experienced in color matching stains. It's not an "easy to do process" and just the species of your wood vs the "contact paper finish" will all come into play to make it impossible to match for the "kid at ACE or the part time worker at Lowe's"... talk to the pro at Sherwin Williams or another "industry paint store"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 02:21 PM   #6
wiredgeorge

I worked at Sears in the sporting goods department while going to college. One day I wore in my red/white/blue star spangled bell bottoms and the department manager punished me by making me work in the clothing department. The next day I was wearing solid color slacks and little mommas were asking me if this matched that and would her kid look good in something. Ironic as I had/have/never will have any fashion sense. Having a clerk at the hardware or box store be an expert on stains is about as likely as I was to be a clothing fashionista. This was well over 50 years ago and I no longer wear flag design bell bottoms... hey I was a dumb kid.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 03:04 AM   #7
Braylon

Thanks everyone for the information
Old 03-25-2023, 06:25 AM   #8
Dacheedah

All woods accept the stain differently and some may need a few staining's to get close to the color you want. We would also find that your clear coat will also make the appearance change a bit as well as lighting and what you hold it next to. I used to install cabinets and a customer complained a pantry was not the same as the rest of her cabinets. We replaced doors . . . in the end she had a different wall color next to the wood and it did change the appearance. If you removed the door and held it against the other cabinets you could see it was the same. My point is look at the color in the camper next to the ones you have and you may be pleasantly surprised. The species of woods and the use of sanding sealer or not also make a difference. You experimenting is on the right path.

Army, 7th ID 7th MP Co
Retired LEO
9-1-1 Director
Dacheedah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 04:39 PM   #9
markdol1

Dont you folks laugh,Retro jeans go for big bucks!
markdol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 07:59 AM   #10
CedarCreekWoody

Be aware your woodwork is finished with colored lacquer. The color (stain) is in the lacquer, not brushed on the wood. You can mix stains to the color you need and then add to your finish.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 12:32 PM   #11
rlh1957

Stains from lot to lot will be somewhat different, especially model run to model run.
Sample piece of wood stained area taken to a store with paint and stain scanner can get close to the color.

Many “stained” wood trim items in rv’s may be a vinyl veneer with wood grain finish. Many items are wood in name only.

RV wood is often said…
“All The Flash Without The Cash”
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 04:15 PM   #12
Braylon

Thanks for the additions information. I’m pretty sure, as sure as I can be, what I’m trying to match is actually stained wood, not vinyl. I’m sure there is some vinyl veneer.

Will have to find a paint store that can scan and match, nothing close to where I live I have been able to find yet.

Appreciate everyone’s input and thoughts.