Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-16-2022, 06:55 PM   #1
Jef

Tow vehicle question

I think I know the answer, but being new to towing something this big and weight, want to get experienced opinions.

Have 2007 Challenger, 37', 11030lb empty. Keystone states hitch weight is 2080. Gross capacity is 14000 but I do not plan on traveling with full water tanks, etc.
Bought a 2014 F250, diesel, 4x4, CC, because the sales manage at CW stated a 3/4 ton would pull the unit. And I did not know at that time that CW lies just to make a sale and to look at all the numbers and calculations before making the truck acquisition. Truck weight is 7960 (weighed it a few days ago), just full tank and driver in the truck.
Considering the Cargo capacity of the Ford is 2040lb, I am going to be a few hundred pounds over GVRW when we add the hitch, the pin weight and two adults.

Otherwise, I am under rear axle weight recommendations, GCWR and tow capacity.
However, even though I am under in most ratings, being over in the GVWR has me concerned.

Am I missing something or am I correct?

If I am correct and will be over safe ratings I see my options as
1. sell 250 and get a 1 ton
2. keep 250 and get a smaller unit to tow
3. just say to heck with it, sell both, and have other things to worry about

Is there an option 4?

Adding to my confusion is when we had the Challenger towed to a storage unit while we cleaned and remodeled, it was towed to us by a commercial driver in a Ram 2500. He had no problem moving it. So either he was over weight or had completely different cargo capacities that the Ford.

Tags
tow, tow vehicle