Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 11-25-2015, 11:26 AM   #1
dwkhumble

Satellite Systems

I am in the process of going fulltime. DW is interested in a satellite system. I would like opinions on which is better, Dish or Direct.
Old 11-25-2015, 03:00 PM   #2
HANGAR

I've had DirecTV for 15+ years. Take it everywhere and have never had any issues. I have plenty of friends who use DISH and are happy with it. I'm interested to see what replies you get on this. This thread could turn into the Chevy vs. Ford saga...
HANGAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 03:28 PM   #3
Steve S

I'd like to know which packages are better, do the give you all the equipment and I'm sure that I'll have other questions
Old 11-25-2015, 03:32 PM   #4
hankaye

dwkhumble, Howdy;

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwkhumble View Post
I am in the process of going fulltime. DW is interested in a satellite system. I would like opinions on which is better, Dish or Direct.
Best I can suggest is to check-out the programming available from each to
see what suits your wants/needs the best, then compare the pricing ...
call'em up and talk with them you'll get a sample of the customer service
folks that way, seeing which are more prone to listening as to which may
want to tell you ... take your time, you'll figure it out ...
Both are fairly as dependable as the other technologies are close to each
other

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 04:15 PM   #5
ChuckS

Since we have direct tv and have the NFL Sunday ticket we stayed with direct tv for fifth wheel.. I opted to go with a portable automatic and the trade off is no HD.. The Dish model of this however does have HD.. I like the portable one because I don't have to worry about positioning the fifth wheel for trees, etc.. I didn't want to mess with th tripod stand and setting up, etc.. I hook coax cable up, the doc power goes over the coax.. Place handle of unit to face north.. Finds satellite in a very quick time.. Works for us...

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...-directv/84186

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 12:34 AM   #6
tgpilot

I've been with Direct TV since 1994. About the time they started. My parents tried Dish and had nothing but issues. Over the years, I've always taken a spare dish and my bedroom receiver along and it has worked out great.

This past summer while staying in Montana this summer I bought the portable Direct dish called the King quest. I love it, if you are in the trees or blocked, you can move it, or in some cases, climb the ladder and place it on the roof.

If you roof mount one permanent, then, you are stuck and will have to move the rig. This way, you just locate the dish where you need to. I carry a 100' extra coax for that purpose. Thus far, have not had to use more than 50'.
Old 01-02-2016, 08:52 PM   #7
DiverB

I have the tailgater and use dish network. I like it since its only $13 a month (I cancel for when the trailer is in winter storage) and I get all the channels that I get on my home TV. Its easy to set up, just face it north and within a minute or two it finds the satellites and your done.

With that being said what I DISLIKE is, in order to get the local channels, I have to call dish network each time and give them zip code of where I am at, and it becomes a PIA dealing with their operators who barley speak English.
2012 Ram 3500 DRW 4x4 - Custom Tuned, 5" TBE, ATS Tranny, ARP Head studs, EGR Cooler delete, S&B intake, GDP intake horn, EDGE CTS w/turbo timer, FASS 95 lift pump, pac-brake airbags, Mag Hytec diff covers, B&W 20K hitch, AMSOIL everywhere

https://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/199482.png
DiverB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 06:48 AM   #8
{tpc}

We have the RV package for dish where it is pay as you go. The channels come in fine, and I don't recall ever having to call to get the local stuff, but I believe we just get the local stuff from home, which is usually what we want anyways.

However, I seriously dislike how the dish system works. I haven't had directtv in years, but even years ago it was better than dish imo. The way the remote works, the way you search for channels, etc, makes me want to smash the remote. My folks have it at home, and it isn't any different there. Essentially it is like they use 80's tech and if it ain't broke don't fix it. Another annoyance is the shear number of infomercial channels, there seems to be quite a lot of them.

The other pain is the pay as you go service. Now as a fulltime, you probably won't be doing this. But for us, this was a main selling point. Problem is, it doesn't "shut off" at the end of your month..it continues on, and so does the billing. The feature is you only pay for what you use, but in 1 month increments. So you start jan 1, should go till end of month. You activate it, pay for that month. Say you use it for the 1st week and thats it. Well feb 1 you get another bill, for feb. March 1 you get a bill for march and a late notice for feb. Then if your lucky, april 1 you will get a notice reversing march and feb and the late fee.

That is a real pain in the rear. So I seriously question their billing system and practices as well. But you do get HD channels so that is cool .
Old 01-05-2016, 08:11 AM   #9
mazboy123

Another option is Shaw satellite out of Canada. yea yea, i know you are in the US but....

there is a guy out of tucson who sells it. a lot more channels and less money in many cases.
mazboy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 06:45 PM   #10
Larry1013

I have Dish at home the last 6 years. I take the 211k receiver out of the bedroom and use it when on the road. All is good but do not get the local channels on road. sine paying for it, might as well use it when not at home.

2015 F350 Ultra Lariat CrewCab Long Bed 6.7L
2005 Keystone Outback Sydney 30FRKS
Larry1013 is offline   Reply With Quote