Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 05-13-2011, 05:38 PM   #1
Mij

king craft generator

Any input on these King Craft generators. They are made in China and sounds like parts and service are scarce. How ever the model 3250 should run about everything and is still only 68db and are quite affordable. I only need a generator for 2 trips a year so I'm struggling with the $ needed for a Honda or Yamaha.
Mij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 06:40 PM   #2
jq1031

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mij View Post
Any input on these King Craft generators. They are made in China and sounds like parts and service are scarce. How ever the model 3250 should run about everything and is still only 68db and are quite affordable. I only need a generator for 2 trips a year so I'm struggling with the $ needed for a Honda or Yamaha.
What are your needs as far as power..............running everything as you say could mean alot of things! I would suggest you look into the Dometic 3000kw generator, it's not as quiet as the Honda but very cost efficient, portable, electric start, tow handle & about 70 lbs in weight.
jq1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 07:03 PM   #3
Mij

That sounds like a nice unit. All I need is to run the AC and charge the batteries as needed. After researching a bit I found a DuroStar 4000s which recieved some pretty good reviews. I will definitely look into the Dometic as well.
Mij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 03:58 AM   #4
Wing-in-it

My motto has always been "you get what you pay for!" I'd be leary of that Generator made in China. Just my 2 cents....

Mark

2015 Fuzion 325
2020 Ram 3500 DRW 6.7 HO Aisin
Chesterfield, VA.
Wing-in-it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 10:16 AM   #5
jje1960

Genset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing-in-it View Post
My motto has always been "you get what you pay for!" I'd be leary of that Generator made in China. Just my 2 cents....

Mark
Another view....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2011BOLIY.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	401  
jje1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 04:41 PM   #6
Johnnyfry

Generator

Well, FWIW, I have been struggling with the same question for my 5er. I want something that is light enough to carry, quiet and will run the 15K BTU A/C. As I have found, that is a big order.

Bear in mind that NPS apparently has a 60 db A limit on SPL in the parks. Also bear in mind that that SPL doubles with an increase of 6db SPL. This means that a gen which is 10 db louder is a LOT louder than the other one. Also bear in mind that 2gen sets running together will increase the SPL 6 db over 1 running alone.

The Honda sets which have a throttle down feature for a reduced load have big returns over constant speed units.

As far as the China question goes, dealer service network is the big issue here. If it goes out, a big dealer service network trumps just about anything else.

In the end it goes back to the basic law: you might not always get what you pay for, but you always have to pay for what you get.

If anyone has a magic bullet, PLEASE give me a call!

John
Johnnyfry is offline   Reply With Quote