Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 03-16-2015, 06:17 PM   #1
lakechopaka

Charging batteries

I have a new 24RKSWE and I know I will be doing a lot of boon docking this summer. I purchased a new 3100 Champion Inverter Generator. Very quiet and will work for most of my needs. The question I have is can I run a battery charger off of the generator to the batteries without damaging the generator or the batteries. I use this charger to re charge my batteries between short trips and to maintain them during the off season. I was hoping I can do this because the batteries recharge faster than use the inverter in the trailer. Thank for your help.
2001 Utah Coleman Tent Trailer
1998 Dodge Ram 4X4 1500
lakechopaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 07:10 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

You can run a separate battery charger off the generator to charge your batteries without doing damage to either. If you are dry camping and using the generator to supply AC power your RV, your converter will be running and would normally be charging the batteries.

Do you plan to disconnect the generator from the RV and use it to power the separate charger? The reason I ask is that if you do not unplug the generator from the RV and hook up a separate battery charger to the generator that would mean that the batteries are being charged by two separate units -- the converter and your battery charger. Not sure how this would affect the batteries or does the converter sense that there is an external charge being applied and "shut down"??

Does the generator have its own built-in 12V DC charger ??---- many do -- which would eliminate the need for a separate battery charger.
Old 03-16-2015, 07:19 PM   #3
lakechopaka

Thank you for your reply I was planning on disconnecting the generator from the trailer. The converter on the trailer takes a long time to recharge the batteries so I was planning on just using the generator. The generator does have a 12 volt plug to recharge but I am not sure that it will stop charging when the batteries are fully loaded like my battery charger will.
2001 Utah Coleman Tent Trailer
1998 Dodge Ram 4X4 1500
lakechopaka is offline   Reply With Quote