Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-28-2020, 09:36 AM   #1
Guy

Holding tank valves

I have a 2020 Cougar 27SGS and the holding tank valves do not seem to be completely closing. The handles are pushed in as far as they will go, but when you remove the cap on the outlet...a major SURPRISE!!! Is there any adjustment on those valves, the remote ones, or is the only was to stop this is to put a twist on valve on the outlet?
Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 10:44 AM   #2
LewisB

There is no way to "adjust" the valves at the tanks. Assuming they were installed correctly, they either work & seal or they don't. Trying to access and service them can be quite a project. If it seems to be a major problem, take it back to the dealer and get it fixed under the warranty.

Open the valves and let everything drain. Leave the cap off of the drain pipe. Then close the tank valves and run water at one source at a time to determine which valve is leaking. If you have just a small trickle of "leak by", that might be livable. If you have a "flood", you will want to get that fixed.

Regardless, I recommend either the twist on valve at the drain cap or you can cut the line just short of the cap and glue in the fittings for what I call a "last chance" valve. This valve will protect you as you remove the cap when you have a leaking tank valve - or in my case when you forgot to close the tank valve at the last dump station.
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 11:00 AM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

The only "adjustment" would be if the valve is connected via a cable and the cable is kinked. But I would recommend returning to the dealer (not what you want to hear) as it would involve dropping or cutting into the coroplast to effect a repair. Are the valves difficult to operate? Does it take a lot of force to open or close the valves?
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 12:05 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

The "cable operated valves" are actually Bowden Cables. They are similar to the spring wound/single wire system that operates the throttle on most push lawn mowers. What can happen with RV Bowden Cables is if you "push too hard to close them" the wire will apply force to the "spring winding" causes it to stretch slightly. Over time, the outside cable sheath "grows longer" causing the valve blade to not reach full closure. The only repair is a replacement or a disassembly and rebuild to shorten the cable sheath. Unlike bicycle brake cables or motorcycle throttle cables, there's no adjustment for the RV sewer dump valve cables.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 01:47 PM   #5
Guy

Thanks for the input. I am going to try and see which valve is leaking and I am going to add a twist on valve right now. Hopefully, I will not have to deal with the dealer.
Old 05-28-2020, 02:17 PM   #6
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
Thanks for the input. I am going to try and see which valve is leaking and I am going to add a twist on valve right now. Hopefully, I will not have to deal with the dealer.
A wise decision in any case. The surprise discharge is not only disgusting but it is also disgusting... even a few drops. One thing you can do is that if you can find your valves, drill a hole in the top and squirt a bunch of dry lube in. The hold should be about as big as the straw on the lube can. Then you can screw a sheet metal screw into the hole to seal. Repeat as necessary for sticky valves.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 04:45 PM   #7
LHaven

Quote:
I have a 2020 Cougar 27SGS and the holding tank valves do not seem to be completely closing. The handles are pushed in as far as they will go
One interesting question is, does it look like they should be able to go farther? It's possible to get something lodged in the valve area that mechanically keeps it from closing all the way. Keystone builders routinely drop hole cutout pieces into the black tank (once I saw a photo of a hammer lodged in the dump pipe), but it could also be a kid's toy, a tampon, or whatever.
Old 05-28-2020, 06:59 PM   #8
Canskan

My fix for 2 valves (black and grey) was to feel down through a hole in the back of the cargo area. Located the 7 inch push/pull rod on the valve that the cable is attached to. I slathered silicone grease all along and around the length of this rod and the cable center that was exposed. This alone reduced the valve movement effort to about 1/5 of what it was previously. After that nice improvement, I crawled under the kitchen area and cut a trap door in the coroplast near the kitchen drain pipe and felt around till I felt the kitchen grey tank valve. Did the same to it. Much, much improvement. Sealed trap door with foil Tuck tape...oh, think the grease used for servicing brakes is silicone, I also had an old tube of Dow Corning ....hope this helps.... :-) :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200528_220237.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	191.8 KB
ID:	27672  
Canskan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 04:28 PM   #9
Guy

A quick update. I have determined that it is the black water tank valve that is not sealing. I followed LewisB's advice and put water in one tank at a time. I guess I now have a trip to the dealer! Not looking forward to that. Thanks for the help.
Old 05-30-2020, 11:29 PM   #10
LHaven

Quote:
I have determined that it is the black water tank valve that is not sealing.

I guess I now have a trip to the dealer! Not looking forward to that.
I'd be way looking forward to that. Better him than me.
Old 06-14-2020, 08:24 AM   #11
Jay Pat

When I had my black tank valve replaced, I did my best to have a clean tank.
I flushed and flushed.
Flushed with the front of the trailer as low as I could get it.
Fluched with the front of the railer as high as I could get it.
Flushed the a tank a few more times.
When I was getting consistent "crystal clear water", I flushed it few more times.
On the last flush, I raised and lowered the front of the trailer to remove as much water as possible.
The mobile mechanic was very grateful!!!!!.
Pat
Jay Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 03:55 PM   #12
qckurt

good luck getting the dealer to fix.

I traded a 1984 Shasta for a new 2017 Montana and it leaked first time out, dealer blamed me and said it would cost me if it wasn't a faulty valve. Just put in the extra valve and call it good. Oh, the Shasta never leaked in 33 years!
qckurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 01:29 PM   #13
barterry46

Same issue of faulty black tank valve on our new 2020 cougar 24drs. Worked fine on shakedown weekend. Then on long long trip it leaked enough for the big surprise. Nothing unusual went into toilet...we have a quick fix for now since we are very far from home. Camper is going into dealer day after we get home. Previously owned a jayco for 10 years...no black tank issues ever.
barterry46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 08:02 AM   #14
Guy

Update on the valve problem. The dealer went into the belly and told me that the cables had not been properly routed. They corrected them and it is not leaking, so far.

Tags
tank